Water Flow from all the rains up North ??

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 08:11
ThreadID: 137761 Views:5240 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Guys.....
Just wondering with all rain up around the Mt Isa area - What are the chances of this water following down towards Birdsville and reaching that area (ie: Eyre Ck) by around July this year?

Just wondering if I need to have a plan B for our Madigan Trip this year?
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 08:24

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 08:24
Maybe, maybe not, in the lap of the gods, but one should always have a "Plan B". Enjoy your travells
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623606

Reply By: Rob A2 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:41

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 09:41
As the country is so dry I would think that despite what looks to be a large body of water, the ground will soak most of it up like a sponge. It's rain in the channel country that may, or may not, flow into the Cooper Ck and surrounding areas. Normally takes 2-4 months to move through the channel country

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623607

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 10:43

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 10:43
Ha ha, I’ve already replied to your query on Facebook, Rob.

Depending which way you planned to do the Madigan, your plan B could be down Hay River to Camp 15 then west or for an E-W, either Oodnadatta Track & up to Mt Dare, or Plenty H’way to Alice, then down Binns Track to Old Andado. If fuel is a problem then go to Kulgera & across to Mt Dare.

Buying fuel at Mt Dare isn’t cheap, but it is good to leave there with full tanks. One thing less to worry about.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 623608

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 10:52

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 10:52
By the same token fuel at Kulgera is not cheap either and 'unleaded' is opal 92ron whereas Mt.Dare 'unleaded' is premium 98ron and 20c per lt 'dearer' .....
FollowupID: 896830

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 12:29

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 12:29
Yes our original plan is to head out to Birdsville and follow the Madigan as much as u can westwards then head south to the Rock then return home via the Rig Rd / K1 and down to the Birdsville Track and hopefully across Walkers Crossing to the Connie Lakes and Home... The main part of this trip is to do the Madigan so there is options if need be.... I’m thinking that unless that rain moves slightly more Sth that we should be ok by July this year.... but it’s still early days still....
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 896835

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 09:44

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 09:44
Knowing those fuel prices, Alloy,(easy with all the fuel apps available)the astute traveller would fill his FJ Cruiser at Kulgera, and then just top off the tanks at Mt Dare, when doing the Madigan or Simpson. Otherwise he'd have rocks in his head!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896924

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:11

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:11
Bob , that's 'only' if you like 'opal' and 92 Ron [ less bang for your buck ] and paying a 'premium' price for a lessor product ...the 20c difference between Kulgera and Mt. Dare per lt for an actual 'premium' fuel that nowadays most petrol engines require is an engine longevity and 'power' and economy factor , an 'extra' 300km in 'range' for $30 for instance in the FJ Cruiser in the desert says it all me thinks ....
FollowupID: 896931

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:41

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 12:41
Kulgera certainly isn't cheap for any fuel this morning.
Petrol Spy app has U95 listed for $198.9 !!
(Diesel $194.9 !!!)

NT must has mandatroy daily fuel price policy, as NT pricing on the app seems to ALWAYS be updated.
Not so is SA, depends on app users putting ion the data when they fuel up.

If Mt Dares fairly stable price is as usual ~ $1.80, it would be a good spot to take on a good load rather than the highway it seems.
Not sure if they are in fact similarly high, after all they just get wholesale tanker in or go up to Alice if short and roads are closed if wet etc.
Their price now may well be well up over the $2 mark.

A quick call is needed as it's not on the fuel price apps, maybe diplomatically asking if fuel is available, and when they confirm, just 'matter of factly' ask what $ / lt, then you can compare at places like Kulgera, Oodnadatta, etc on the way in.

Phone calls may be needed like above, as Finke and Oodnadatta rarely get prices updated, a shame the 4wd community doesn't use the Petrol Spy app more (and actually input pricing when filling or passing servos) as it is a great tool to save $$$ when touring.
FollowupID: 896934

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:43

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 13:43
Hi Rob, take a look at the pix here: Eyre Creek - QLD

Too early yet to see if the Monsoon keeps dumping rain in the catchments for the Diamantina, Georgina and Cooper which will affect everyones 2019 desert travel plans. Link to current BoM Qld rivers: http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/index.shtml?ref=hdr
Most of the falls in the Isa region are going to run off into the Gulf at the moment. Leichhardt Falls will be pumping............ W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623614

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 19:38

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 19:38
Not a bad map to show where the water goes.Catchment map
AnswerID: 623620

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 22:05

Sunday, Feb 03, 2019 at 22:05
Shane - that's a pretty good "mud map" - but here's an even better map, which give you the 100% precise details, as regards the Rivers, Creeks and Catchment (Basin) areas of QLD ...

BOM - Rivers and catchments maps - QLD

If you download the PDF file, you get a very finely detailed map of all the Rivers and Creeks that form the particular Catchment area, that you've selected.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 896852

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 09:24

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 09:24
Another one from the Bom
AnswerID: 623624

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 21:16

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 21:16
Shane, that really is an excellent River Basins/Catchments map.
I never had any idea there were 3 separate Basins across the Long Paddock.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 896878

Reply By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 21:28

Monday, Feb 04, 2019 at 21:28
Hey Ron
You’re the one that put me onto the bom maps.
There’s so much on the BOM site , just got to keep exploring it.
As with a lot of internet sites , it takes a bit of searching to get the best doesn’t it.
Cheers
Shane
AnswerID: 623631

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2019 at 20:39

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2019 at 20:39
I'd love to be optimistic, but as far the rains in the Georgina catchment are not much at all. Diamantina and Cooper catchments not much better. There are lots of waterholes and floodplains before water can reach the desert. Doesn't feel like a wet year to me.
AnswerID: 623684

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 09:32

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 09:32
Yes Phil, current conditions along the Georgina are a bit "ho-hum". Even the Donohue H'way was still open yesterday. The rainfall in Longreach area began to increase yesterday, but due to the extreme weather warnings being cancelled overnight, that area is unlikely to see the huge falls experienced in the north west.

The Diamantina has experienced falls around the headwaters and north to Kynuna, around 700mm or more. Yesterday, the River was 2M above major flood height on the Winton-Boulia road, and almost a metre over major flood at Diamantina Lakes. Also, 2 stations, about 100kms North of Winton, had 250mm of rain yesterday on top of the good falls they've received over the past 10 days. This water, coming down Mills & Wokingham Cks(for anyone looking at their topo map) will keep the system running for much longer.

All we need now is to wait for the sandflies & bush flies.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896923

Follow Up By: Phil G - Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 10:13

Thursday, Feb 07, 2019 at 10:13
Gday Bob,
Yeah maybe I was too pessimistic - rain hasn't stopped yet. Will be interesting to see how far it gets. Still don't think it will reach the QAA Line at Eyre Creek, unless we get some more over coming weeks.
FollowupID: 896925

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2019 at 22:47

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2019 at 22:47
Keep an eye on the Lake Eyre Yacht Club's Lake Status page. It will tell you what is expected down there.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 623689

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:22

Friday, Feb 08, 2019 at 10:22
Comparison of Google Street View and a screen shot from The Weather Channel late last night of Winton.
AnswerID: 623706

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 20:14

Sunday, Feb 10, 2019 at 20:14
This is not really OT because the Diamantina may affect some traveller’s plans this year, especially those planning to use the Warburton Crossing.

The flood peak in the Diamantina River is currently at Diamantina Lakes, and is very close to, if not at, the record height of 7.7M set in Jan-Feb, 1974. I’ve had permission to post this photo, taken by Fiona, from Diamantina Lakes, when the River had reached 7.1M

Some might be interested in this Map.. It is also available from Future Beef.

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 623742

Follow Up By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:30

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 18:30
Thanks for that Bob but that doesn't look good for our trip this year... After crossing the Madigan from E-W we are planning to return via the French Line, down the Rig Rd to K1 Line and then south twds the Warburton Crossing and then to Innamincka via Walkers Crossing....
We plan to do this in Mid to late July so I'm assuming the water would have well reached the Warburton X-ing and Walkers Crossing(Cooper Ck) ??
Cheers..... RobM
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

FollowupID: 897035

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 19:18

Monday, Feb 11, 2019 at 19:18
At the moment, Rob, I can't remember at what time the flood in the Diamantina was last year, but when I called in to the Warburton Crossing in late May, it appeared to be almost crossable. I wasn't too adventurous as I was by myself at the time.

I heard this morning that the flood had reached the 1974 record level at Diamantina Lakes. The only problem I can see for you is the amount of water that has to drain through the system, and the time it will take. Monitoring the Lake Eyre Yacht Club site maybe one of the best options for you. It's not a bad drive up the K1 & then bounce along the QAA to Birdsville, then down to Walkers Crossing track. There's always the chance of further rain across the Cooper Catchment in next 8 weeks, that may impact your trip across to Innamincka.

Hope you don't have to resort to Plan "B".

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897041

Sponsored Links