Limited caravan sites in Newman, WA

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 13:19
ThreadID: 138761 Views:6577 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, a cautionary word to anyone planning a caravan/camper/motorhome stop over in Newman in the East Pilbara, WA, book well in advance as there are only 12 powered sites and a similar number of unpowered sites left at the one remaining caravan park actually in Newman.
BHP Group now owns both the former Kalgan's Rest and Dearloves CPs and appears to be converting them to FIFO accommodation. Kalgans is closed and Whaleback Village (was Dearloves) is now a construction site.
We were told when we were lucky enough to get a site (had to move 3 times in 3 days then stayed on the one spot for the rest of enforced 10-day stay until a broken rear spring on our car could be replaced) without booking, that the 12 powered sites and some unpowered sites at Whaleback Village will remain.
If you're fully self-contained (chem toilet and grey water tank) you can pay $10 a night to camp in the Tourist Centre car park or try the Oasis CP out of town.
When we were there the 'No Vacancy' sign went out at Whaleback Village about 2pm most days.
Whaleback Village phone number is 0407 703 340.
It's a shame really that there's so few CP sites left in Newman as there are literally thousands of vans going through each month on the Great Northern Hwy and the area around the town has a lot to offer, the mine tour or Mt Whaleback is great and the art centre well worth a visit.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 14:47

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 14:47
Don't worry about the CP in Newman. Book the Oasis @Newman. Its only a dirt carpark but the power works, the water is OK and the showers are hot.
Shower cubicles won't let you take your cat with you!!

The buffet is good food too.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 626840

Reply By: Joe Fury - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 18:44

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 18:44
G'day Explorers

As Mal and Naomi G have pointed out in their post, which simply adds to a very resent post asking about caravan parks in Newman, do your research and by all means book ahead if you think Newman is a place to stay.

Sadly the people who should be promoting the region and it's attributes have dropped the ball in respect of tourism and the expectations of touring visitors.

You need to understand that welcoming visitors and tourism in general is NOT a viable business proposition for a mining company, it's counter productive, far too many people seeing what and how they do mine and there is nothing nice about mining in the Pilbara.

Safe travels : Joe
AnswerID: 626842

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 20:19

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 20:19
That’s funny joe.

I first visited Newman in 1973 when it was a company town and my future brother in law worked on the mine.
Sounds like BHP wants to turn back the clock a bit
FollowupID: 900802

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 22:20

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 22:20
G'day rocco2010

1973 was 46 years ago by quick my calculations rocco, but what the heck eh, mate there have been a couple of changes in that time even here in Newman.

Admittedly, I wasn't here for the first 16 of those years, just the last 30.

If your memory is still sharp back to the time you came to Newman ~ treasure it.

It is definitely NOT the same today and the only constant is BHP

FollowupID: 900805

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 23:37

Sunday, Jul 21, 2019 at 23:37
Only time I have been breathalyzed on a Wednesday was in Newman in June 2017 on the roundabout in Kalgan Drive. A copper on all 4 entrances, we were lucky we got the pretty one. We were house sitting 2 Bull Terriers for a month, had a good time but not going back.
FollowupID: 900806

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 09:15

Monday, Jul 22, 2019 at 09:15
G'day Rob J8

Ah yes, the constabulary in Newman do a fine job in corralling traffic so they can enforce the law, these episodes usually come about a day or two before they fly out of town, the funny but not laughable part about these breath testing sessions, is there's usually a Mob of highly cultured folk wandering around the area carrying cartons of 'wife basher cans'.

You lucky bugger house sitting with a pretty Bull Terrier eh ~ only in Newman!

No malice intended.

FollowupID: 900808

Sponsored Links