Cahill's Crossing

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 at 21:44
ThreadID: 138988 Views:5113 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 at 23:30

Sunday, Aug 25, 2019 at 23:30
I'm surprised they didn't run up, smack it on the nose to get the fish back considering their stupid enough to fish there knowing the reputation that area has.
AnswerID: 627425

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:07

Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:07
The problem gets bigger as presumably the hook is still attached!

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 627431

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:25

Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:25
Hi Bill

A small hook like that will not be an issue at all.

Did you hear about the report of the dead croc in Queensland the other week?

Authorities carried out an autopsy to find cause of death....what did they find?

A human metal joint replacement part that is to be at least 40 years old in its stomach.

Police are now going back through missing person from 40 years ago to see if it was murder, or someones bad luck by being taken by the croc.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901409

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 15:39

Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 15:39
Could have been from vetinary use as well apparently and the serial number was no longer legible so we'll probably never know.
I used to fish off Cahills Crossing in the early 80's. Wouldn't get me anywhere near the water in Kakadu (or anywhere else in the Top End) now. Back then, there were only two crocs in the area, they hungout down stream of the crossing. At a certain point in the tide they would enter the water and swim upstream. It was a simple matter of keeping your eyes on them, when they submerged you vacated the crossing until they crawled over the crossing and headed further upstream. Back then anything big enough to bother humans was only still alive because they kept away, otherwise they would have been handbags. We and many others used to fish Island Billabong in a Canadian canoe. By the late 80's large >2 m crocs were much more plentiful and aggressive with competition for resources driving an expansion of territory. About this time, a bloke I knew was retrieving a snagged lure at the crossing and was killed by a croc in front of his teenage son. When I lived there, there were no known crocs in Twin Falls, Jim Jim Falls or Gunlom Falls and Maguk Gorge only had freshies.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 901412

Reply By: Member - Graham D2 - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 09:42

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2019 at 09:42
I have a query re the crossing. Using the Willyweather tide times/heights for Cahill's how do they relate to the actual heights on the crossing. For example if the chart has the height at 2m what is the height on the crossing? Graham
AnswerID: 627562

Sponsored Links