Stay at home isolate is anybody?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 14:16
ThreadID: 139947 Views:9908 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I live on the South Coast of NSW in a holiday area but cannot believe how many holiday homes are full, the bike & walking paths are full, our beaches look like Bondi at xmass & we don’t have that many locals & the amount of ACT number plates is a giveaway & the amount of hire motorhomes is staggering.
I’m yet to see anybody questioned are there many of us doing the right thing?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: axle - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 14:27

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 14:27
As usual Vince the minority will stuff it up for the majority!.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 631235

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 16:14

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 16:14
I live at the other end of the State and we are getting quite a few Qld plated vehicles with surfboards here.

The Police have been fining some $1000 but there are many that are escaping.

One notable thing is that the local NSW resident Qld plated vehicles have almost disappeared. It is not legal to live in NSW and have a Qld plated vehicle that is owned by the NSW resident. Maybe that is why the local ones have disappeared.
AnswerID: 631237

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:18

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:18
I,d be a very happy camper if this corona virus only attacked the ignorant, arrogant or the entitled ones. Unfortunately the hospitals just wouldn,t cope...
AnswerID: 631239

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:19

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:19
It’s not just your area that is busy....I’ve never seen so many people on the streets about Brisbane out walking thier dogs, exercising in parks, or simply out walking with thier kids.
If you want to see busy, go visit a Bunnings store on a weekend and look at the numbers there queuing up to get inside.
AnswerID: 631240

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:41

Sunday, Apr 26, 2020 at 18:41
Noticed a NSW registered 4WD at the local Puma roadhouse here in Winton, late last week. Probably the first interstater I’ve noticed for at least 3 weeks.

What we do have are heaps of double deckers loading cattle out of here for eastern & southern destinations. Nothing to see a dozen triples parked around the saleyards, having a spell, or waiting to reload at daylight. Otherwise the local roads are very quiet.

As for the isolation, it’s no big deal after living on stations in NT & Qld for 45 years. Just as long as I can go out for a carton occasionally. Missing the desert though!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631241

Reply By: qldcamper - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 08:23

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 08:23
You wouldnt happen to be close to Jervis bay by any chance?
AnswerID: 631249

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:14

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:14
Jervis bay has a section of ACT but the number plates for this section have a different logo if this is where your going
FollowupID: 907201

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:04

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:04
Here at Avoca Beach Central Coast NSW, the beach has been open all the way through.

There are many surfboarders every day, a lot of people at the Dog beach with dogs , and many walking.

Generally there are very few sitting and many of those have kids in the water.

During the holidays , my impression is that several Sydneysiders came to their holiday houses .

For the first time ever during school holidays we locals can get a park in the main parking area at the surf club, sometimes in the front row!

So for us local residents, the whole lockdown has been pretty good although not seeing Children and grandchildren is a pain.

AnswerID: 631250

Follow Up By: Pepper - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:51

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 09:51
I live at kiama and it is the same here with regard to non locals in holiday homes etc..

If the police were serious they could simply go to local realestates and ask for a list of occupants of holiday properties and contact them.

They have the power to obtain this information under the auctioneers and agents act .
FollowupID: 907202

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 14:48

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 14:48
I reckon it would be easier than that.
All they have to do is scan the number plates of cars parked on the road and book those who have Sydney plates.
FollowupID: 907212

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 15:08

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 15:08
Rangiephil,

I think they'd have to ask questions before booking them based solely on their registration addresses. There are at least 16 reasons you can legally break self isolation in NSW.

Regards
FollowupID: 907213

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 16:39

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 16:39
Pepper, great call.....pity the coppers don't do it....stay safe!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907216

Follow Up By: OzzieCruiser - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 17:02

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 17:02
Noting that in NSW the address on the registration is garaging address, not residential address. Mute point I know but some people use it to their advantage - eg many people use it for their club rego - live in the ACT but supposedly garage in NSW - Club usage rules are better in NSW than they are in the ACT.
FollowupID: 907218

Reply By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:27

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:27
Disrespect for authority has long been said to be an endearing aspect of the Australian character so it was probably always optimistic to ask people to not go on holiday and expect 100 per cent acceptance.

In WA the government banned travel between regions and put roadblocks on the highways heading north, south and east out of Perth to enforce them. I guess our smaller population made it easier to do than in Sydney.

And there would have been some who found a way around ... good luck to them.

It also banned travel within the Kimberley and it was pleasing to hear yesterday there are no active cases of the virus there. It could have caused devastation in the communities.

Keep safe people
AnswerID: 631251

Follow Up By: Member - Triton man - Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 15:18

Monday, Apr 27, 2020 at 15:18
Was looking to learn more about the Birdsville Bakery and was delighted to hear that it has been bought by the new owners of the Birdsville Pub but unfortunately it can't or won't open anytime soon.

What was a 'downer' is that the Mayor of Birdsville (Dimantina Shire) has shut down Birdsville "for the entirety of 2020". It seems if the Federal Government and the State Government finally agree when it is safe for travel restrictions to be lifted, dont bother going to Birdsville, the Mayor does not want us there or our dollars. If planning on going to the Birsdville Races, forget it, if it goes ahead it will only be for horses and jockeys. I read all of this on an ABChttps://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-16/birdsville-bakery-under-new-ownership/12152480.

I have tried to get this verified by Diamtina Shire Office, the reporter of the ABC article and Queensland Outback Tourism but no one has answered me, hopefully they are checking it out for themselves. When and if I get an official response, I will get back to you, seems the third level of Government (local council) trumps State and Federal. My fear is, how many other dictators (sorry, Mayors) plan on shutting down thier communities as well - will certainly make it hard to plan a trip for sure.

UPDATE - UPDATE.

Finally got a response from Diamantina Shire who have advised that subject to easing of travel restrictions by both State and Federal Governemnts, Birdsville will follow their advices and allow visitors. I suspect this may have been clarified at a local Council Meeting but of course admitting nothing. Not sure how it came about but good to know Birdsville will be back in business. If travel restrictions are eased, Birdsville Races should be able to go ahead.
FollowupID: 907215

Reply By: old mate - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2020 at 17:09

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2020 at 17:09
I've read a lot about people bitching and moaning about vehicles with interstate plates in their area. Just because its got interstate plates doesn't mean its someone breaking the rules. Could be a rental car, company or fleet car, don't forget, most states give you 3 months to change your plates when you move intersttate or for me in SA I have a family member's car in my drive way with QLD plates on it. They had to fly back to Qld for an emergency and will be back in a couple of months to pick it up. I drive it occasionally to keep the battery up on it and had people come up to me wanting to pick an argument about Covid-19 border running and shouldn't I be back in Qld! Some people are just plain ignorant.

Having previously lived in QLD for over 10 years, you see a lot of QLD plated cars in northern NSW as they don't need a yearly inspection as if they were NSW plated.
AnswerID: 631270

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 09:21

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 09:21
Old Mate
I agree, but when you know what are holiday homes & what are not & you know the owners of those holiday homes & it’s just random’s in them & with several families’ staying in the one house that's a different story.
Where my home is both homes be hide me & the four to the left are all holiday homes yet all were full. I’m on a hill that overlooks a large area & ocean, at the beginning of the shutdown I could look out at night & see the odd locals house lights now at night it’s just like Xmass lights everywhere, it was quite for Easter but only the Easter break
FollowupID: 907247

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2020 at 21:56

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2020 at 21:56
We cancelled going to our regular March caravan group get together, even though it was not that far fro home for us. We also abandoned any plans for going away this winter at that time. Most people are doing the right thing, but a few are in denial, and putting us all at risk be their actions.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 631282

Reply By: jimgrains51 - Tuesday, May 05, 2020 at 02:45

Tuesday, May 05, 2020 at 02:45
Ive been stuck in home for a couple weeks now. I honestly dont know why people arent afraid of contracting the disease. The authorities should do something about those people. Theyre the reason why the disease isnt stopping.
AnswerID: 631371

Sponsored Links