Barcaldine to Hughenden to Winton

Submitted: Monday, Jun 22, 2020 at 21:37
ThreadID: 140177 Views:7714 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Can someone tell me the state (sealed or unsealed) of the road from Barcaldine through Aramac to Hughenden and then back to Winton?
Thanks
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 22, 2020 at 22:03

Monday, Jun 22, 2020 at 22:03
From what I can recall it’s bitumen from Barcaldine to Aramac, then Muttaburra. Mostly black soil from Muttaburra to Hughenden. Instead of going through Muttaburra, you could go north to Torrens Creek, only 30kms of gravel south of Torrens Ck, then west on Flinders Highway to Hughenden.

Hughenden to Winton is all bitumen, though some sections have less than smooth pavement.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 632256

Reply By: Genny - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:19
I went that way Easter 2019. There are no difficulties, with the usual drive to conditions proviso. Short patches between Muttaburra and Hughenden have bitumen around watercourses. I found these to have some fairly decent undulations requiring slower transit than the gravel road. I was towing an off-road camper trailer. The road would quickly become impassable with rain.

Consider doing the Aramac sculpture trail. 200 odd kilometre mostly dirt road circuit.

Photos are between Hughenden and Muttaburra, and it had rained a couple of weeks previously.

AnswerID: 632265

Sponsored Links