Car camping and freshwater fishing near Canberra/ Batemans Bay...

Submitted: Friday, Oct 09, 2020 at 10:09
ThreadID: 140614 Views:8352 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
With restrictions being lifted we are hoping to head to the south coast of NSW from SA in November (NSW has not yet said if they will allow direct travel through Mildura into NSW from SA, but SA has stated they will allow travel the opposite way, provided no stops in Vic. Obviously situation may change either way, in which case, Eyre Peninsula, here we come again!)

We are spending some time in Batemans Bay and Bermagui (taking our boat over) but wanted three nights bush camping, preferably somewhere I could get the fly rod out (leaving the boat in storage for a few days).

I've only been in the area for bushwalking before (Budawangs area). I am aware many Parks in the area are closed right now, but some places (like Budawang NP) are open. Can anyone suggest a good place to head to in this area where we might be a little remote (Long Gully?) and I can also fish? Great bird watching would be a bonus!??

Cheers,
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Oct 09, 2020 at 16:00

Friday, Oct 09, 2020 at 16:00
Lots of the areas and access roads in Kosciusko NP are still closed from bushfire damage and some due to Snowy 2 works. Perhaps theTantangara Dam area but some of the access roads are being closed after Xmas for Snowy 2. Check out the NSW NP website and this map from the website. What about camping on one of the dam foreshores from the boat? Not sure if this is permitted. Looks like Geehi campground and the Alpine Way is open.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633693

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Oct 11, 2020 at 19:10

Sunday, Oct 11, 2020 at 19:10
Thanks Warren. I'm looking for something a little closer to the coast. Appreciate the info, however.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 910777

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:50

Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:50
There are the trout streams around Nimmitabel but you still have to drive up the Brown Mountain Rd. You could try calling the Alpine Angler tackle store in Cooma. Not sure of freshwater fly fisheries/species on the coast perhaps Australian bass? I understand there are several streams on the south coast that are reasonable for this species, unfortunately I'm not a fly fisher so I don't know how the crossover between fresh/salt fly fishing gear and flies.
Wrt the route, you can now enter SA from NSW via Mildura (no stops in Vic), but don't know about the reverse.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 910789

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 07:29

Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 07:29
Hi Silkwood,

I believe you can get from Renmark to Wentworth via The Old Coach Road on the Northern side of the Murray. If you check out a few maps, I am sure you will find it. I have never driven it myself, but from what I have read on this forum and others, it is a pretty good road, even though a lot of it is gravel. Not sure how the recent rains will have affected it though.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 633713

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 15:35

Monday, Oct 12, 2020 at 15:35
Yes, I saw that. I'm keeping in in hand as a just in case. Though with the situation changing, who knows which way it will turn in a month?

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 910793

Reply By: Pepper - Tuesday, Oct 13, 2020 at 08:56

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2020 at 08:56
Mark on the east coast ,shoalhaven area and further south to say moruya there are multiple places that meet your descriptions.

Perhaps , congo on the beachfront east of moruya ,great camp ground adjoining the beach.

Duea area , some is national park some is not and is free access, good fishing in duea river,great camping.

Shoalhaven river ,approx 300klm long,we were fishing about 40 k west of nowra and can confirm the bass are on the bite , several remote camping sites available.

is this what you are after ??
AnswerID: 633718

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Friday, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:39

Friday, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:39
Hey, Pepper, that's the type of info I was looking for. I will follow up. Much appreciated. I'll look into Calymea Farm. Can you recommend any other quiet camping areas on the Shoalhaven?

Never fly fished for bass, looking forward to trying it.

Cheers,
Mark
FollowupID: 910832

Reply By: Pepper - Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 03:54

Wednesday, Oct 14, 2020 at 03:54
mark , also look up ...calymea farm...great camping on the shoalhaven river on a private farm..
AnswerID: 633724

Follow Up By: Pepper - Friday, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:52

Friday, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:52
There are approx 14 species of fish in the shoalhaven fresh water , we occasionally get fresh water herring when using lures for bass.
FollowupID: 910833

Follow Up By: Pepper - Saturday, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:01

Saturday, Oct 17, 2020 at 10:01
mark you can contact me by email on timfitz44@gmail.com
FollowupID: 910860

Sponsored Links