Sealed road route Sydney to Darwin

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 19:13
ThreadID: 141732 Views:7245 Replies:2 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
My apologies to my fellow ExplorOz users - I found an old thread that had most of the information I needed about doing the Sydney to Darwin drive, I just want to know the answer to some "stupid" questions:

1) Does one need to take a jerry can?
2) Is it advisable to take a backpack/esky full of instant/pre-cooked food, like you would for camping? Or are most of the suggested campsites close enough to somewhere you can actually eat?

Thanks in advance.

Mash
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 20:10
Mash
Good to see you have done some prior research. Depending on your vehicle and it's fuel use, most times you will be able to source fuel, but, having some extra is always a good idea. Not sure which camp sites you are talking about but most times there are no close eateries and travelling folk supply their own and cook simple meals as required. A small gas or fuel stove of some kind would be handy to carry.
Enjoy the trip and there is plenty to see so stop regularly to experience the sights and ever changing country.
AnswerID: 636374

Follow Up By: Mash - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 20:35

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 20:35
Hi RWD

Thanks for that - it’s exactly as I thought it’d be, but better to be safe than sorry, right?

The campsites I referred to were posted in the old thread I found - I’m pasting here for good measure:

“Leave Sydney early head to Newcastle then New England Hwy to Willow Tree turn off to Gunnedah, Narrabri, Moree. Then take the Canarvon Hwy to Mungindi crossing the boarder into QLD. Stop at Nindigully for the night( free camp and free hot showers) It's a little pub 40 km south of St George. In the morning head to St George then Roma (there is a shorter way to Mitchell but found going to Roma first is better). From Roma head west towards Mitchell then Morven. At Morven head towards Augathella, Tambo, Blackall and Barcaldine. At Barcaldine turn left heading west to Longreach. 4km past Longreach on the right just over the flood way is a free camp as you turn off Hwy go 500m turn left and another 400m. Toilets and tables nice flat camp area plenty of room. Next day from Longreach head to Winton, Cloncurry, Mount Isa, Camooweal. Camping at BP behind service station. Next morning make shore you have no fruit and veg as you will have to dump them before you cross the border into NT. From Camooweal to Barkly homestead then to Three ways road house on the Stuart Hwy turn right and stop at Hi way inn. from there its another days drive to Darwin.”

Even had a map link - http://goo.gl/maps/w5m4G

FollowupID: 914278

Reply By: Rod N - Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 21:42

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 21:42
You don't have to dump your fruit going from Qld to NT.
Check the requirements for covid border crossing requirements.
If you don't already have it get Wikicamps and Petrol Spy apps. Tennant Creek fuel is much cheaper than 3 Ways and is worth the extra kms to get it.
AnswerID: 636375

Follow Up By: Mash - Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 07:43

Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 07:43
Cheers Rod N - Know that NT have a form that you need to fill in when you come into the territory at the moment - wasn't sure about QLD, but doesn't seem it has the equivalent; that is, you can just drive into it so long as you haven't been in a covid redzone.

Thanks for the app recommendations, have download both.
FollowupID: 914280

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 07:07

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 07:07
There certainly are quarantine constraints going from Queensland into N.T.
Refer to this site for information.
Scroll down to the "Northern Territory" page, observing the "Key" page as you pass. The chart then shows entry from the various States. The 'yellow exclamation mark' indicates prohibited entry of specific items unless you possess an appropriate permit. Only a 'green tick' denotes unrestricted entry.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 914283

Follow Up By: Rod N - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 08:54

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 08:54
OK I stand corrected. However there is no real publicity on this. There are no signs or bins on the roads into the NT. On the several times I have been into NT on the Barkly and Stuart I just blissfully carried on across the borders with whatever foodstuffs on board. Last year we had to stop at the Barkly border for covid checks and there was no mention whatsoever about foodstuff quarantine.
FollowupID: 914285

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 09:31

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 09:31
Rod, I'm not surprised that you were not familiar with this. As you say, publicity is poor everywhere. It is necessary to search for information.
Even at manned quarantine checkpoints I have experienced officers with an incomplete knowledge of the regulations and not willing to view my printout of their official website. So to some degree you take your chances with your food being confiscated. On the other hand, lack of signage or manned checkpoints must surely be allowing much banned products to be carried over State borders.

I am still stinging after coming south on Goog's track S.A. and turning east toward Ceduna S.A.to arrive at the quarantine station and having to surrender all our fruit & veg. The officer assumed we had come from W.A. and would not accept that we had travelled entirely within S.A.. He applied the "Rules is Rules" attitude and in fact he seemed to not even know of Goog's Track. This station is not at the border but much closer to Ceduna.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914287

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:21

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 17:21
Allan, sounds like you met the pr1ck that we experienced at Ceduna. We pulled up short of the Q station to consume a banana (which is quarantine BS as they aren't grown in SA or Vic ...). He trotted down to our vehicle and said "let's just have a look at that banana" and proceeded to confiscate it.
FollowupID: 914295

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 23:54

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 23:54
" We pulled up short of the Q station to consume a banana (which is quarantine BS as they aren't grown in SA or Vic ...). "

Think again, they may not be commercially grown in SA but they can harbour things that affect other crops. That is why they are on the banned list.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914303

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 09:17

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 09:17
Peter, I'll take your word that there are dastardly bugs that bananas might host, but it still doesn't explain the officious over-reach. Even at the eastern approach on Peterborough there is a bay where travellers can stop and either eat or dump their fruit.
FollowupID: 914305

Follow Up By: Rod N - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 11:34

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 11:34
At the station near Peterborough it can be either over officious (we had the same experience with a banana "what do you think a banana is, it's a fruit!!!") or sometimes not manned at all.
FollowupID: 914307

Follow Up By: Mash - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 18:00

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 18:00
Allan B,

Your use of “quarantine” initially confused me (Admittedly it happens easily) as I thought you were referring to covid measures; it’s unfortunate that word immediately makes someone think of covid these days.

Thanks for the link to that document - interesting to see what is and isn’t allowed.
FollowupID: 914309

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, May 14, 2021 at 18:43

Friday, May 14, 2021 at 18:43
Yes Mash, I had the same reaction when I typed "quarantine" but could not immediately see how to manage it without making it worse! So................ lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 914310

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)