Journey to the centre of WA (vlog)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 13, 2021 at 10:51
ThreadID: 141959 Views:4557 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Ride to the centre of remote western Australia

Some time ago I decided to travel to the geographic centre of Australia and back. I then decided to do it on my motorbike to make it more interesting. Why? No reason, just because it was there.

There are 2 vlogs of that trip. Part one out, and Part 2 back (via the goldfields).. This is part one. Part 2 I will post soon.

There is actually nothing at the centre, no roads, no plaque, just a small pile of rocks put there by a station hand some time ago. But the scenery, the people and just the openness are a good enough reason to travel out. I had a hoot of a time, and I am already planning the next point to get to, for no other reason than to get there..

I rode to Paynes Find, across to Sandstone, then the back roads to Wiluna. From here out to Glenayle station where I stayed a few days. This is the station the centre is located on. Then down to Carnegie Station. Stayed the night. From here back to Wiluna, then south through the back roads of the goldfields visiting Gwalia, Niagara dam, Davyhurst, Ora Banda, Rowles Lagoon, Credo Station to name a few places.

Hope you enjoy and get something out of them.. ride safe and see you on the next one.
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: JJAdv - Sunday, Jun 13, 2021 at 12:02

Sunday, Jun 13, 2021 at 12:02
Ride from the centre of remote western Australia (Second part of the series)

Some time ago I decided to travel to the geographic centre of Australia and back. I then decided to do it on my motorbike to make it more interesting. Why? No reason, just because it was there.

There are 2 vlogs of that trip. Part one out, which was released earlier this morning, and Part 2 back (via the goldfields).. This is part 2 where I travel from the centre, through the goldfields and back to Perth eventually.

I visit some of the iconic and interesting sites around the goldfields.

Part 2

AnswerID: 636783

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Jun 13, 2021 at 12:42

Sunday, Jun 13, 2021 at 12:42
Enjoyed the video.

When we were out at Lake Mason Homestead, we were told the structure (the bough room) next to the homestead that you thought might have been a chicken shed, was where the owner used to sleep when it was hot. It was cooler sleeping out there under the thatch than sleeping in the building, especially in the afternoon siesta. The thatch was kept cool by running water on it from plastic pipe. It may have been used also for hanging meat but the memory is a bit hazy on that.

The old homestead itself had been built using recycled materials from a hotel in Sansdstone , the shearing shed was built from the dismantled store in Youanmi, which had previously been the old Sandstone School. Ref "Sandstone, From Gold to Wool and Back Again, A District History" by Sally L. Senior

I don't think that salt lake at Lake Mason sees much Water :-)

Regards
AnswerID: 636784

Sponsored Links