Itinerary for QLD

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1420 Views:2044 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My family and I are planning a trip around and through Australia. We are leaving from Perth and are travelling North thru the Kimberley, across to N.T, down to Alice Springs and across to Qld via the Plenty Highway. Then back up north to do Cape york and after arriving back in Cairns I have no idea where to go from there. Probably down the coast to Townsville and then inland. If any one has any ideas it would be great to hear them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00
Sounds like an excellent adventure! Excuse me for asking you a question instead of answering yours. How much time are you allowing for the whole trip? I'm in Sydney and want to head across to WA, upto Broome, etc in the not too distant future. Sort of the opposite hand of what you are doing.
AnswerID: 4644

Follow Up By: Wendy Rayner - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

No problem. We're planning to leave Perth in February 2003 and will be on the road for about 13 months. We'll be driving a Pajero 4WD and towing a fully rigged off road camper trailer as we plan to travel a lot of 4WD tracks. We are spending about 4 months in WA as there is a fair bit to see, especially in the Pilbara and the Kimberley.

You can see a rough itinerary on our web page at www.users.bigpond.com/rcspatch
FollowupID: 1985

Follow Up By: Savvas - Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 05, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for that Wendy. I'll have a look at the website.
FollowupID: 1989

Reply By: Old soldier - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

G'day wendy, Sound like a great trip. Are you more interested in the 4wd off road aspect - or want to check out the "must see" touris sites ?? From a tourist point of view I would definitely stop at Etty Bay, Mission beach and Cardwell on the way to Townsville. this will give you your fill of tropical palms and beaches etc. Pop down to Mackay before truning inland. Have a look at the Whitsundays [magnificent] the sugar industry round Mackay, and the fabulous rainforest in Eungella NP. Then crack back north again, head inland through Charters Towers through to Cloncurry - check out the RFDS museum. Down to Winton [home of Waltzing Matilda] and on to Longreach where the Stockmans Hall of fame and the Qantas museum are definite "musts". Depending on your route home to the west you have several options from Longreach, but your should really take in Carnarvon Gorge NP if you can - nothing like it anywhere in the world. Down to Roma and the Oil and gas museum and a decision [east or east]. East to Toowoomba, Brisbane and the coast. West to Birdsville and the channel country. What delicious decisions. I'll hand you on to somebody else to take it from here :) Enjoy.
AnswerID: 4648

Reply By: Peter Cosh - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wendy, you could try Carnarvon Gorge, north of Roma and Injune (south of Rolleston). We've just returned from there and it is well worth a visit. We spent 3 full days there (4 nights) and found plenty to see and do to fill in the time. Try www.takarakka.com.au/ for more info. This is were we stayed. Of course, there are plenty of other worthwhile places such as Fraser Island, which is popular and has been discussed before on this forum. Access by barge from Inskip Point, Rainbow Bay or from River Heads just south of Hervey Bay. Lawn Hill gorge at Boodjamulla National Park 250km north west of Mt Isa is also a good spot but may be a little out of your suggested path. Just a few suggestions. Sounds like a great trip. Cheers.
AnswerID: 4649

Follow Up By: Peter Cosh - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

sorry, that should be Inskip Point, Rainbow Beach, not Bay.
FollowupID: 1979

Follow Up By: Peter Cosh - Thursday, Jul 04, 2002 at 00:00

Also, "Old Soldier" must have posted just before mine, there are some good suggestions in his post, like the Whitsundays, especially if you can see your way clear to hiring a "bare boat" charter (also depends on how many are travelling in your group), but this is a great way to see the Whitsunday Islands.
FollowupID: 1981

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 06, 2002 at 00:00
If you want some R&R at a nice beach then Mission Beach is the place to go. Further south Paluma is worth a look if you have time and then take a back road into Townsville.

Around Rockhampton there's lots to do.Byfield state forest has nice camping and close to Byfield national park (if you like lots of sand). Blackdown tablelands is worth a look and then Carnavon Gorge and the rest of the park could take up some time.
AnswerID: 4723

Reply By: Dave - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
Hi wendy, my wife and i and sister inlaw and her husband are planning the same trip leaving Adelaide mid Jan and stopping in Perth with family for a couple of weeks so if you happen to come across a blue Patrol & blue Pajero towing camper trailers as well , pull us up for a chat, who knows we might be able to swap some ideas , Happy motoring .......Regards Dave & Barb
AnswerID: 4724

Follow Up By: Wendy Rayner - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Dave, yes, would be great to see you and swap notes. Sounds like you'll be in the same places as us at roughly the same time. Can you tell us what kind of camper trailers you are towing ?. We were initially looking at the Heaslip (made in Adelaide) - it's a nice unit. Please feel free to contact us and keep in touch via our email address rcspatch@bigpond.com.
FollowupID: 2004

Reply By: Wendy & Steve - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. We've taken notes and will incorporate as many of these spots as possible into our trip (our research must have been reasonably good as we already have a lot of them on the list :-) - Regards, Wendy Rayner.
AnswerID: 4731

Sponsored Links