Upcoming Tassie Trip & how to get there

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 07:36
ThreadID: 143046 Views:4223 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Happy New Year everyone!

So we are off to Tassie & taking the van (Jayco Journey All Terrain) on the SOT leaving 21/2.

We are coming from Qld, heading via Narromine, stopping overnight again BTW Narromine & Melbourne, staying in Melb somewhere the night before boarding then boarding early morning of 21/2.

We have never been, so any suggestions on what the best route is through Melb with the van would be welcome.

We are also open to suggestions on where to stay the night before boarding (we can free camp or a van park - either is fine).

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Arthur - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:42
Welcome to Tasmania in February. We have found the best way to the Spirit is on the Western Ring Road and come in over the Westgate Bridge staying in the far left lane and then exit as soon as you cross and go back under the bridge and follow the Spirit signs to Bells Parade.
An excellent park to stay the night before returning to Melbourne is the Lakeside Caravan Park at Eugenana which is in the hill behind Devonport 10 minutes from boat.
When in Tasmania and when you visit the West Coast area an absolute must to see is "The Wall in the Wilderness" at Derwent Bridge between Hobart and Queenstown.
Happy travels.
AnswerID: 638988

Reply By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 08:45
We stayed in the caravan park in Packenham the night before. They were very welcoming. We had a drive through site so didn't unhook. Left early to beat the traffic. Follow the signs, easier than we were expecting. Beware the low bridge in Port Melbourne ( no need to go under it). No toilets in the queueing area, we had one in the caravan. There is a FB page about touring Tassie it was very useful. Info correct as of 3 years ago. We booked a cabin even though it was a day crossing, worth the expense for comfort, easy and napping. Greedy hogs monopolise all available seating with bags and lying down even though this is/was not allowed.
AnswerID: 638989

Follow Up By: Kenell - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 08:04

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 08:04
If you were coming down the coast into Vic then I agree with Mikee5 that Pakenham would be a good option for the onite stay. If you are travelling down the Hume though it is about 70 ks out of your way to get there and then the same in the morning. There are a lot of works going on around Pakenham at present too. The freeway works and rail crossing elimination works are in full swing which might give you a slow start but once passed those it is a straightforward run into Port Melbourne.

As others have said it is a bit of a bunfight once you get there and lining up etc. It might be worth doing some preliminary work on caravan park availability in Tas too as it will be a particularly busy season down there. We like camping on the east coast and there are some great spots around St Helens / Bay of Fires etc. Otherwise follow the tourist maps and enjoy.
FollowupID: 917856

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 09:24
Hi Stefandsal,

There is no van park close to the SOT dock in Port Melbourne. Be aware that if you choose to just park in the street somewhere, that there are parking restrictions. Also, many of the local residents do not like caravans parking in their streets.

There is ample parking for an overnight stop at the BP Service Centre on the Hume Freeway near Wallan. There is also a “rest area”, (no toilet) on the Hume Freeway about two kms past the Beveridge turn off. These are both within an hours drive of Melbourne, although peak hour traffic coming in to Melbourne early in the morning (06:00 to 09:00) will see the traffic quite heavy on the freeway and ring road, so allow a bit of extra time. If you want a caravan park, there is very little choice close to Melbourne. Download the WikiCamps app, one time low cost payment, it will help you find a suitable spot close to Melbourne.

When coming in to Melbourne on the Hume Freeway, take the M80 ring road, then the Westgate Freeway over the Westgate Bridge staying in the left lane, taking the Todd Road exit, and follow the signs to the SOT.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638992

Reply By: nick g1 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 14:59

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 14:59
When is the new terminal at Geelong due to open? Seems to be such a hassell at Port Melbourne.
AnswerID: 638995

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 15:08
The lining up is a nightmare, that's for sure. How people with little kids fare I don't know.

At least Tassie is a great place to visit, so that's a positive.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917845

Follow Up By: Uncle Arthur - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 16:35

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 16:35
Mid 2023 or maybe later knowing how all construction things go !!!
FollowupID: 917848

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 19:49
New design of the terminal building released. Some of the links on that page will interest some of you.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917851

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:07

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:07
Whilst this will alleviate a problem in Port Melbourne, I have not seen any plans for a “caravan park” or camping area for this new proposal. It is just shifting the problem to another location. Yes it will have a larger “marshalling” area, but no mention of overnight camping. There does not appear to be a caravan park near this new location.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917857

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 19:06

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 19:06
Why should they provide any camping area? There are plenty of parks much closer than there are for the present terminal. There is also the showground for short stays.

I am looking to the much easier access when I go to the new terminal. I foresee a much better selection of cheaper parks within easy travel to the boat.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 917866

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Jan 06, 2022 at 08:49

Thursday, Jan 06, 2022 at 08:49
Hi PeterD,

I did not say they should provide a camping area, and as you have correctly pointed out, there are a number of caravan parks in and around Geelong. That should make things easier for those travelling on the SOT with a caravan. My initial comment was incorrect.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917874

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jan 04, 2022 at 20:12
What time does your boat leave morn/night will make a diff if going in the evening daughter went just before Xmas she turned of freeway kalkallo went down mickleham rd to tullamarine freeway one toll only I think ,takes u nearly to the port I took my van over a few years back went west ring rd as said stay left lane turn turn under bridge we spent eight weeks in Tassie great place to tour,cheers
AnswerID: 639000

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:09

Wednesday, Jan 05, 2022 at 09:09
Hi Reggy 2,

If she had stayed on the freeway, then M80 Ring Road, then Westgate Freeway, she would have ended up in the same place, but without having to pay a toll fare.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 917858

Sponsored Links