Channel Country

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 08:47
ThreadID: 143484 Views:5237 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We are planning a 5 week trip in May from NSW Riverina to Wentworth, Yunta, Lake Frome, Strezlecki Track to Innaminka and the up through the Channel Country.
Has anyone been up that way recently and what are the road conditions like?
Is there any access to Hunters Gorge in the Diamantina Lakes NP from any direction?
The Channel Country has been on my must do list for some time and it must be looking pretty nice this year.
Plan B is just Eyre & Yorke Peninsulas.
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark C43 - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 08:58

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 08:58
The sites has up to date road conditions for SA
https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads
AnswerID: 640042

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 17:46

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 17:46
Not recent. Currently in the southern Flinders, heading north.
Explore the Waukaringa ruins north of Yunta.
Lake Frome is only accessible from Balcanoona Ranger Station. Many years since we drove out, but the bull dust was something to behold at that time.
Spend a few nights at Coongie Lakes out of Innamincka.
Subject to flood damage, all the roads in Diamantina NP are/were pretty good and lead to Hunters Gorge in the centre of the park.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640047

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 01, 2022 at 22:48
We did the trip from Yunta up via Lake Frome to the Strzelecki (good camp spot at Wearing Ruins on the way), and on to Innamincka last year. Road was good all the way - although of course you need to check track conditions on the eve of departure as even a drop of rain can shut you down.
I recommend turning off to Merty Merty and taking the old Strzelecki into Innamincka - a much more interesting run unless you want to see Moomba.
After Innamincka it's a good trip via Cordillo Downs (great camp spot at Caldega outstation) and then join the Birdsville developmental road, where you can head west to Birdsville or east to join the Diamantine developmental road.
We went into the Diamantina NP from just south of Bedourie, but there are various alternatives - it's all a really good trip. Enjoy :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640049

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 00:24

Saturday, Apr 02, 2022 at 00:24
Can’t help you with current road conditions over your planned route but would suggest that by May some roads would have had, either a “patrol grade”, removing bad washouts & smoothing creeks crossings, or would be subject to a more intense repair, say 2 graders working in tandem & doing a full width grade. Otherwise, just take your time & take the good with the bad.

Access to Hunters Gorge is on the western side of the Diamantina, off the Boulia access road. The Rangers Station is about 5kms to the east, on the other side of the River. There’s 4 roads that pass through the Park. One from Boulia, the road Wildmax mentioned, coming from Bedourie, through Cluny, Coorabulka & Springvale stations & meeting the Boulia road at Springvale. On eastern side of the River, the River Road comes down from Winton, past Mayne Pub ruins, & road from towards Windorah comes up through Palpararra & Davenport stations.

Worth having a look at the Mayne Pub ruins if you have time.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640050

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:48

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:48
"Worth having a look at the Mayne Pub ruins if you have time."

If you give it the correct name then people might find it - Mayneside Ruins - QLD

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919125

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:37

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:37
Right Peter, get your map out again, head down the Mayne River from Mayneside Ruins until it hits the Diamantina River Road, and just north of that point you’ll find the MAYNE PUB RUINS!

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919127

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 20:30

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 20:30
I don't have to get out a map. All I have to do is to click on the link in my reply. If you have spelt the place properly then the forum provides a link to the place in the "Places" section of the site. If you genuinely wish to assist people then check that your places that you feature link properly before concluding your reply.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919136

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 21:22

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 21:22
Thanks for the lecture! Makes me feel 60 years younger.

Seeing we talking about 2 different places, I'll dispense with the local vernacular and suggest that Mike goes to Mayne Hotel ruins, if he has time.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919137

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 00:15

Monday, Apr 04, 2022 at 00:15
I think you will find it as the Mayne Junction Hotel on the EOTropo map

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919138

Reply By: Member - Islandview23 - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:51
Thanks guys, much appreciated your effort to reply.
Looks like no one has been there since the floods have subsided.
Very interested in whether you can cross the Diamantina and its associated channels from east to west near the ranger station and Hunters Gorge, as we will be coming up from the southeast. I realize there are other access routes, but I hate backtracking!!!!
Mike
Navara D40 with Stockman Pod
AnswerID: 640067

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:33

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:33
Yes, you can. Good road across there with cement culverts over the bigger channels.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 919126

Follow Up By: Member - Islandview23 - Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:38

Sunday, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:38
Great thanks Bob,
Just info I was after.
Safe Travels
Mike
FollowupID: 919128

Follow Up By: Member - Islandview23 - Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 14:09

Friday, Apr 08, 2022 at 14:09
Hi Guys,
Just had a phone call from the ranger at Diamantina NP and he said all the roads are passable with 4WD in all directions to Hunters Gorge. He was surprised that the QLD road condition map had some of them as closed. He has fixed the relevant authorities and you will now see the correct info on that map for the area.
Looks like plan A is going ahead.
Thanks again for your input.
Mike
FollowupID: 919178

Sponsored Links