Roper Bar to Borroloola

Good evening all,

Just wondering what the road from Roper Bar to Borroloola (via Limmen) is generally like in the dry season. Have driven the road from Daly Waters across to Borroloola , Hells Gate Roadhouse, Doomadgee etc many years ago. Will have a small off-road Caravan in tow.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 18, 2022 at 22:19
Always the caveat that conditions can change daily/weekly due to weather and grader .... but when we last did that run a couple of years back it was a perfectly good gravel road with just the odd rough patch or dip. Driven carefully, should pose no problems.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 640244

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:18

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 12:18
As Wildmax says conditions change. We went across that way in late 2019 & found it to be quite heavily corrugated with only sections of bulldust to offer relief. That said it was worth every bump in the road to see both Lost Cities. They are each quite a different experience. We camped at Towns River, Butterfly falls & the Southern Lost city. Also at Lorella Springs.

Blog entry

We also enjoyed camping out by the river at Doomadgee, took the station roads from Doomadgee down to Lawn Hill before looping back up to the Savannah way via Leichhardt Falls. Roads improved at the Qld
Border.
Borroloola to the Daintree
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 919338

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 22:58

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 22:58
Second the comments on the Lost Cities, and we also had good camps at Butterfly Falls and Lorella Springs. Some fabulous 4Wd tracks all over Lorella Springs, hidden waterholes etc.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 919345

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 15:58

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2022 at 15:58
Depending on the wet season, that road can be closed until repairs are done.
We spent 2 weeks waiting at Lorella Springs in 2007 until it opened further north in early May.
Look for the paving job we did around the bar and "OKA196" engraved in the corner. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 640259

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2022 at 14:54

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2022 at 14:54
When we did it last year in the dry it was not to dad but would get very rough stoney & rocky in parts round the lost city area that would need slowing down to take care, also creek crossing can be a bit rough aswel. We did come across a van at one of the spots that had ripped out there axle on a tandem caravan. The road from sturt hwy out to roper bar was busy narrow & lots of road works .. The only other thing i would say is don't set you expectations to high for the trip, lost city being the highlight.
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 640268

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 14:46

Wednesday, May 04, 2022 at 14:46
It is an unsealed road. No worse or better than most I have driven. Very poor wet this season so likely to be less damage. Drive at an appropriate speed and you will not have a problem.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 640416

Sponsored Links