Victorian High Country

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1456 Views:2206 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

am after any readers opinions on the "must do" tracks of the Vic High Country. We have most of the "touring" and "picturesque" tracks / destinations covered - need some genuine 4x4 tracks now to make the trip interesting. The more difficult the better.

Thanks in advance for your Feedback.

Troy..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Damian - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Troy
Grab hold of a copy of a great little book called "20 4WD treks iin the Victorian High Country" (or something like that) - about $25. Each track is rated, comprehensive route notes are provided along with other information about the area and some of its history. I haven't done much myself - only Crooked River around Talbotville and Grant (old gold mining areas) - still getting myself setup properly, but come spring, I'll be out there. And finally, make sure you have a drink at the Dargo pub - it's a must.
AnswerID: 4761

Reply By: Fred - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

Troy include the Wonnangatta Valley and site of the homestead in your travels. Genuine 4x4 tracks both in and out of the valley - no problems doing it but quite steep. There are several ways into the valley including starts from Licola, Briagolong and Dargo to the south and I think Myrtleford to the north. Allow a day in and a day out to make it relaxing. Good luck!
AnswerID: 4763

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Fred, I'm thinking of doing a trek like that early to mid next year. Is there pretty much free reign on vehicle camping throughout the highlands? What is the latest time in the year you are allowed to camp or drive? I have a td patrol decked out with recovery gear, are there areas where you would have need for lockers or suspension upgrades? They are on the list but $$ providing... Any info apreciated... Andrew
FollowupID: 2019

Follow Up By: Fred - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
Andrew I've been into the valley a number of times and have had no problems in a standard vehicle. It is certainly steep but any vehicle with low range would have no trouble. I must add that it's always been dry and the rivers low when I've gone (Feb/March). As far as I know there is no restriction on camping. There are many spots to choose from in the valley. There are drop toilets near the homestead site. Actually just thinking back the first time I went in was about 1965 in Landrover. We came out along the river to Dargo and had about 20 crossings to do. The water was quite high (windscreen washing height) and the trip was quite hard going. All other trips have been pleasantly uneventful.
FollowupID: 2034

Reply By: All Terrain 4WD Adventures - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Troy, which state would you be coming from into the High Country. Tell me this and I will let you know some great treks into the alps. Stuart
AnswerID: 4788

Follow Up By: Troy - Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00

Stuart,

Am coming from Sydney. Had anticipated starting off at Bright (am meeting up with some friends from Melb) but am more than happy to hear about tracks north of Bright - perhaps a more interesting way to get there !

Troy..
FollowupID: 2025

Reply By: Thommo - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
Troy,
I have traveled the high plains area for many years.
From Bright, I suggest you travel to Porepunkah, up Buckland Valley into Talbotville (good camping, pit toilets). Camp there for a few nights, plenty of side trips, even to Dargo. Then re-trace some of the way into Wonnangatta Station (good camping, pit toilets), and then you can either head out to Myrtleford or up to Mt Howitt. You can then travel to Licola (Gipsland), or over to Mt Buller and visit Craigs Hut (MFSR Film). Then I would head for either Mansfield or Lake Cobbler onto Wangaratta.
This could be done easily over one week with a few nights at each area.
Distance is not long, but going is slow.
Most tracks are closed until spring. www.treadvic.org.au for road closures.
Best Map is CFA Regions 23 & 24. $44 plus postage.
I would be happy to provide more details of side trips, fuel etc. You have heaps of options.
Enjoy.

AnswerID: 4811

Sponsored Links