Expedition National Park Towing Offroad Hybrid

Submitted: Monday, May 15, 2023 at 12:32
ThreadID: 145641 Views:1151 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking on linking a few of the treks here that cover Expedition NP, Ka Ka Mundi - Carnarvon NP then through to Tambo. I will be towing a small hybrid camper - Lifestyle Reconn.

Starting at Taroom through Expedition to Bauhinia Downs
Bauhinia to Springsure
Southwest onto Cungelella Road to Tambo

I would love to hear from anyone that have combine the 3 treks and drive this route especially if you have towed something through it. My research say i should be fine unless it rains!

Any advice would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2023 at 13:02

Monday, May 15, 2023 at 13:02
In Expedition a few years ago towing our 1.6T Kimberley we tried to get to StarkvaleCampground from Taroom after rain, slipped all over the greasy road. We then retreated to Murphy's Lagoon campground (thoroughly recommend it).
We drove up the next day to the campground and gorge when it fined up with no problems not towing anything. We now own a 14ft Hybrid, in 2019 Starkvale was doable with a Hybrid if the road is dry, I wouldn't recommend it though. You have to come back past Murphy's, which is a better campground. If I was car camping I'd be happy to stay at Starkvale.
It's good bitumen all the way to Bauhinia and onto Springsure. It's been 40+ years since I took roads SW from Sprinsure. Keen to hear what others say regarding KaKa Mundi.
AnswerID: 643570

Follow Up By: Member - Brad L3 - Monday, May 15, 2023 at 17:20

Monday, May 15, 2023 at 17:20
Thanks for the reply Mark. I will be camping at Murphy's Lagoon but just want to head up to Robinsons Gorge then keep going north to Bauhinia. Mainly as it looks like a cool location and it forms part of a trip im mapping out. Want to stay on the dirt as much as possible. Sounds like if its dry it should be ok.
FollowupID: 923273

Reply By: batsy - Monday, May 15, 2023 at 15:20

Monday, May 15, 2023 at 15:20
Apart from Starkvele camp ground everything else is fine. We took our 6.4.m North Coast Camper Titanium Off Road into Starkvale with little difficulty and no damage. If going that far along the Glen Houghton Highway to Bauhinia. Quite scenic. Road to Tambo is fine. Cheers
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 643571

Follow Up By: Member - Brad L3 - Monday, May 15, 2023 at 17:24

Monday, May 15, 2023 at 17:24
Thanks mate. Is the access into Starkvale camp ground a bit tough?

I'm assuming you can bypass the camp ground it continuing on to Bauhinia. Is that correct?

My camper is quite similar to your North Coast Camper i think. Did you get your camper into the camp site or bypass it?
FollowupID: 923274

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 15, 2023 at 18:30

Monday, May 15, 2023 at 18:30
Brad
Worst bit in 2019 was well before the campground, it was a turnoff from the road from Murphy's Lagoon which had a dip to navigate. Our 14ft hybrid would have no problems, but simply I don't consider it's worth dragging your hybrid there from Murphy's. It wasn't tough, a 2WD ute (probably not towing) would do it comfortably at a sensible pace.
The walk to Robinson Gorge Certainly leads off from Starkevale is well worth a visit, if it was closer to where I live, I'd be arranging a multiday bushwalk walk down in the gorge from the lookout along to the "cattle dip".
Mark
FollowupID: 923276

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 07:43

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 07:43
No issue on those areas in the dry but there is a heap of black soil in the area and if it rains you are going nowhere. We have towed the camper through all 3.
AnswerID: 643579

Follow Up By: Member - Brad L3 - Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 08:27

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 08:27
thanks mate. Yeah thats my biggest concern... the wet. Will definitely be giving it a miss if the weather is looking poor.

Thanks for the advice!
FollowupID: 923281

Sponsored Links