Big Red Bash

Submitted: Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 18:01
ThreadID: 145676 Views:1866 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
We are heading to the Big Red Bash this year.
We are heading up from just south of Sydney (Engadine) we will be going quite directly up through the mountains, Dubbo, Bourke, Eulo, Thargomindah, Quilpie, Windorah, Birdsville.
We are thinking of coming home via the Birdsville track or down to Innamincka.
We will be in a Prado 120 towing a Jayco outback.
The question is to those that have done similar from the bash is the traffic heavy that time of year with the bashers coming home and are the roads chopped up.
Any advise welcome including hints about the BRB will be welcome.
We have travelled those roads in the past but not towing a van just a camper trailer.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 19:34

Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 19:34
Inbound to BRB is busy but not to bad as people tend to spread their arrival over a week or so. The exit is chaos as a fair proportion of people leave in a small time frame usually via only two routes.
AnswerID: 643660

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 22:20

Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 22:20
I'm in Innamincka at the moment.
The Strzelecki track is sealed most of the way but its in an awful condition due to the hundreds of road trains servicing the Moomba gas fields.
There are lots of corrugations on the dirt sections.
Conditions change rapidly so make sure you check https://www.dit.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads#map to see if the road is open.

AnswerID: 643661

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 05:59

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 05:59
Have been to Birdsville twice at Bash time.

Once, in 2013, when there was a mere 3,400 folk attending. I had a great time for the couple of days & left well before daylight to head back home & beat any traffic. I don’t believe they allow “early departures” these days?

The 2nd time, in 2021 with 10K plus Bashers, we’d come out of the desert, and arrived in Birdsville to people & vehicles everywhere. Managed to get what would have been the last 3 sites in the van park! Left early next morning, not aware of what I was about to face, travelling north to Boulia & across to Winton. Literally, thousands of 4WD’s, mostly towing, and most flat out! Wasn’t too bad to Boulia, where bitumen is wider, but through to Winton, where the single lane bitumen, meant campers & vans were throwing rocks everywhere. Even with me parked down in the table drain, they would all drop a wheel off! A nightmare of a trip for me.

I’d be taking a day or so to let the crowds disperse before departing Birdsville, get ALL the fuel you need immediately you arrive in town, so you’re not in big queues waiting for fuel.Places like Boulia, Windorah & Marree will see huge line ups for fuel, often needing an overnight stay to fill up the next day.

It’s a good experience, enjoy.
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643662

Reply By: qldcamper - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 07:40

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 07:40
Make sure you protect your back window.
Without exception every time we travel out that way we see at least one prado wearing an emergency screen.
AnswerID: 643663

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 08:48

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 08:48
That’s when you need your best friend……Stone Stomper to give you peace of mind and a safe back window.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923368

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Friday, May 26, 2023 at 10:54

Friday, May 26, 2023 at 10:54
Agree Stephen, got mine after the first trip without one. Luckily didnt have the canopy that trip either but ended up with hundreds of stone chips on the tailgate and a handfull of gravel sitting on the soft cover after each leg, each one of them probably would have taken out the rear window we now have.
I still stop for oncoming traffic though, the SS doesnt stop rocks thrown up by other cars.
FollowupID: 923369

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:37

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:37
The exit from BRB is controlled to stop people driving into the early morning sun due to visibility issues with the dust and sun , and also to allow a shared exit from the various camping loops . So best to not plan an early exit and stay longer if possible ( but shift camp to avoid the dust clouds if the wind is blowing in your direction)
AnswerID: 643678

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:57

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 11:57
Back in 2013, Pedro, dust wasn’t an issue for most Bashers, but do recall a couple of roped off areas at the SW corner of the site. These were reserved for a couple of corporate groups, being not far from the retail area & the stage. Only failing with this position was the main entry/exit road was next to these reserved areas.

After a couple of days, EVERYTHING in the 2 areas had a greyish hue, courtesy of the dust generated by constant vehicle activity. The remainder of the camp remained dust free, as most people walked around the site, to the stage etc.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923393

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 13:07

Saturday, May 27, 2023 at 13:07
Bob , I wasn't referring to the dust issues whilst the BRB is on (can't do much about that ), but if you decide to stay for later departurer, the dust from all the vehicles departing through the camp sites can be a issue , especially if you are camped close to the main exit routes
FollowupID: 923394

Reply By: Member - William B - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 09:09

Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 09:09
Thank you every one for your input.
We have a 2 day early entry so hopefully we will be able to set-up nicely.
We have plenty of time to get back and can take it easy on the return.
We have a stone guard on the van plus I will put some protection on the back window.
Looking forward to the trip.
William.
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 643709

Sponsored Links