gibb river road -july 2003

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1463 Views:2515 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, i'm thinking of tacking on the gibb and kalumbaroo road this time next year. I'm after as much info on it as possible including what i need to take and any vehicle preps for this particular trip. i've checked out all the relevant info on this site, so thats covered. i run a toyota surf, am i going to have any probs with ground clearance on the Mitchell Falls access road? whats the longest stretch without fuel? how many days do you really need to "do" the whole gibb/kalumbaroo/mitchell falls stuff? Cheers, Jono.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
Clearance shouldn't be a problem as GRR is pretty well like a good country road these days and Mitchell Falls access road just requires care. July should see corrugations as your main problem due to extensive traffic throughout school holidays. Fuel shouldn't be a problem unless you rely on gas. Would suggest 3 weeks for GRR/Kalumburu/Mitchell Plateau not inclusive of time to get there and back.
AnswerID: 4806

Reply By: Wendy & Steve - Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 11, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jono
We're planning the same trip next year in May. We have prepared a day by day itinerary which ends up being 3 weeks. We will be camping at Windjana Gorge, King Leopold Range (2 nights), Manning Gorge (2 Nights), Drysdale River H/S, King Edward River, Mitchell Falls (3 nights), Theda H/S, Kalumburu (3 nights), Drysdale River H/S again, El Questro(3 nights), then into Kununurra.
Have a great trip!!!
AnswerID: 4810

Follow Up By: Coops - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
Guys
As far as I can recall Theda H/S is now closed to the public. Suggest you slot in a couple of days at Old Mornington Bush Camp if possible. It's quite unique and Dimond Gorge is fantastic.
FollowupID: 2043

Follow Up By: Jono - Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 12, 2002 at 00:00
thanks wendy, steve, and also coops. all great info. i have bits of info from my dad, although he last did it some 25-30 yrs ago, but i guess the basics will still be the same. i gather that the key is simply to be over (rather than under) prepared, hence my early planning. i'm not intending to take an HF (only UHF) because i reckon there will be enough traffic around...what do you think? i get up to 650km of highway driving on a tank of fuel, so with a jerry can i should be right.....shouldn't i ??????
Cheers again, Jono.
FollowupID: 2050

Reply By: coops - Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 13, 2002 at 00:00
UHF will do you fine
AnswerID: 4829

Reply By: Wayne - Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 21, 2002 at 00:00
Jono

Just finished a trip which included the areas you mention. Each person would need to determine what they wanted to see but here is our intenary with added comments

2 nights El Questro In our view this is over rated and expensive for what you get.

Next camp was a camp site by the Gibb River just at the start of the Kalumburu Road. Nice spot.

From here we headed north to Kalumburu. We spent the next two nights at Kalumburu. Note as we are not fisher folk we did not stay out at the beaches north of the community but rather stayed at the mission (excellent spot) and spent some time with the locals.

Next camp was Mitchell Falls - not much of a campsite. left camp same day we did the walk and went back to camp at King Edward river camp site which had excellent swimming hole(s). Nearly worth basing yourself here and just driving into the Falls for the day (if you can stand the heat when walking). Also look for the aboriginal rock art sites east and west of the camp ground.

Next camp was Barnett River Gorge as Manning Gorge was shut.Manning gorge would have added another day

Next camp Bell Gorge ( Silent Grove Camp grounds).

Then out for a while because of the only time we could get into Cape Leveque.

Later we came back to do Windjana gorge and tunnel creek in a day ( as we had previously been here)

Overall you need to work out what you want to see. We took at is it came.

Also based on current conditions you will have no access / petrol problems but who knows what things will be like next year.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Wayne

PS do not forget the dampier peninsular north of Broome(Cape Leveque etc) - this is a great area
AnswerID: 5014

Reply By: CAM - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Jonno, I, like every other man & his dog have just come back from up that way as well. I put some info on the trek notes for the Gibb River Road that you maybe interested in !!!
AnswerID: 5222

Sponsored Links