Oxley Wild Rivers NP

Submitted: Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 07:03
ThreadID: 146601 Views:1059 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I are planning to explore this NP using Ebor as a base. It's been years since we have been here and was wondering if there are suggestions of any day or 1/2 day trips in the northern section ?

I've notice the key and code lock access to several places on a NPWS map.
We have a capable 4WD.

Cheers

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 13:09

Monday, Dec 04, 2023 at 13:09
What specifically do you want to do, camp remotely / free camp, what day activities?

You can camp outside the Ebor Pub on the Guy Fawkes river or 400m away at the Showground. You can camp at the Styx River just outside the NE NP or camp in the NP at Thungatti campground (bookings required). You can camp 15km down the Forst Rd at Wattle Flat in the state Forest. Activities?? There's everything from 4 day overnight walks to 1 hour walks.
You can also camp at the adjacent Round Mountain campsite in Cathedral Rock NP or the Native Dog Ck campground in same NP.
If you mean 1/2 day driving trips sightseeing, there isn't much unless you do some of the walks. At 1550m you can see a long way from Point Lookout (in NE NP) on a clear day. There are some tracks through the nearby state forests, have a look at EO Topo/Traveller leading down to the Styx River, they are marked in/on EO Topo.
Be aware the temperatures there will be 10C cooler than Coffs Harbour or Bellingen, and 3-5 cooler than Armidale, which in summer is a good thing. All those places are not locked, you can drive to the front gate of Diamond Flat before you strike the locked gate. You can't go down the mountain on the old Kempsey Rd to Georges Junction whilst the road is under repair, it's meant to be residents only.
West Kunderang is a good place to camp on the Macleay River, it's a private campground within the NP, East Kunderang Homestead is booked out months in advance and is a key job.
It's about 250 000Ha, but heavily dissected by gorges and rivers.
Wollomombi Falls are worth a drive too especially if there's been recent rain.

AnswerID: 644842

Follow Up By: Michael M25 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:25

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:25
Thanks Mark and sorry for the lack of detail. Based in Ebor meant just that. A holiday rental. Our extensive bushwalking days are over sadly, however we still pursue scenic wild area's away from the maddening crowd. I'll follow through with your suggestions and plan out accordingly. Have you been to Halls Peak Camp Ground ? Need a permit I'm told.
Ebor will be the last leg of an extensive trip to the far west.
FollowupID: 925010

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 07:05

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 07:05
I've not been to Halls Peak campground, but know plenty of people who have and seen it from the other side of the gorge. I believe it's just a matter of contacting NPWS in Armidale to get a key. I understand you need a 4WD or Low Range vehicle, people launch canoes from there.
Further suggestions would be if heading to Dalmorton, going via Chelundi NP and the Lucifers Thumb lookout. Another suggestion whilst heading north out of Ebor is to head to Platypus Flat, from memory off the Tyringham-Dorrigo Rd, that's a very pretty spot. The Ebor Falls lookout I think is still closed whilst NP undertake a major upgrade of the facilities following the 2018/19 bushfires. Point Lookout in NE NP and Wollomombi Falls in Oxley Wild Rivers would be my pick of spots on a half day drive from Ebor.
FollowupID: 925014

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:01

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:01
Around Ebor is some of my favourite camping. Apart from all of the above. For a day trip there is a forest drive north back up to Dalmorton on the Mann river which is pretty. Just dirt tracks, not really a challenge, but there are plenty of side tracks to explore also. Track starts approx 20 km east of Ebor. Well marked on mapping apps.
AnswerID: 644849

Follow Up By: Michael M25 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:34

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 06:34
Thanks Gbc,
Our camping days are over sadly and using the term "basecamp" was my mistake. A hangover from my bushwalking days. It's actually a Cottage. Your trip up to Dalmorton sounds interesting. We haven't done a lot of 4WDing trips in that area for years but plenty in the Oxley regions and everywhere else.
FollowupID: 925012

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 07:32

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 07:32
You can continue from Dalmorton, turn left and through the convict built tunnel, up to Glenn Innes and then back to Ebor again. Pretty drive along the river.
FollowupID: 925015

Follow Up By: Michael M25 - Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 08:38

Tuesday, Dec 05, 2023 at 08:38
Again, I've been through the tunnel, long forgotten, so thanks. We have the time so we will give it all a good go.
FollowupID: 925017

Sponsored Links