Shippshape or similar car top tents

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 17, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1744 Views:6818 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to cross Australia east to west and travel around top end and thinking of getting a car top tent - the shippshape has been recommended to us. We are wondering if it is a nuisance to have to pack up camp everytime you have to take the vehicle away for short excursions from camp. Could anyone who has a similar tent set up give an opinion.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Roz
We have travelled with a rooftop tent and found it great. We used an Ezyawn which had the advantage of only taking up half the roof rack and folded out over the rear giving us sheltered area over the back of the vehicle. It used to take 2-3 minutes to set up and 5-7 to put away. We found that it was fine to pack up and we found that quite often we found another more interesting camp site to stay at.
Have a great trip
Ray
AnswerID: 5798

Follow Up By: Rio - Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Ray, Thanks heaps for your reply. what vehicle did you put the EasyAwn on top of. Bye Roz
FollowupID: 2523

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Roz The vehicle was a GU 3TD, but we also had it on an 80 series TD, it was great on both vehicles
Ray
FollowupID: 2530

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Aug 18, 2002 at 00:00

Roz: my info is that Shipp Shape are no longer made! I have an Aussie Traveller Roof top tent and reckon its the best thing I have used..have used it over 5 month long trips, Its strong and leak proof and the side 'room' is a major feature as our trips are mainly winter when nights are cold and we set up( two of us) and eat and 'pommie wash' before bed ! Its very comfortable and with the doonas and 'normal' bedding is warmer than at home ! Its simple to put away and set up a few minutes each end and we also put chairs, and table under the cover together with bedding etc, so no great drama to fold out each night ! Of course once set up you cant drive away to get messages at the local shop but where we go their aint any anyway ! Cant think of a better way to see the outback and the boss is happy to be off the ground away from the nasties !

steve
AnswerID: 5807

Follow Up By: Jp - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00
Steve, I'm also considering a roof-top. Had a look at an Aussie Traveller recently and it didn't seem to have an internal fly for the sleeping area. The side room was the same internal area as the sleeping area. Have you been anywhere with it where insects would be a problem?

Roz - We're currently learning towards the Ezy-Awn or Howling Moon brands, but due to excessive cost may have to settle for a canvas Oz tent or equivalent. Thought I might "test-drive" one first though. Land Wide rent and sell them. See http://www.landwide.com.au/rooftop.html
FollowupID: 2537

Follow Up By: Shippshape - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2002 at 00:00
ShippShape Tents, the original roof top tent is still being made at Thornleigh in Sydney. They are under new management may be contacted on 02 9980 6044 or have a look at their web site www.shippshape.com.au for further information.
FollowupID: 2819

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Roz, I have seen many setups recently in my travels and one of the best was a rental companies (sorry can't recall which one, but I'm pretty sure they were NT based). They had a full length roof rack on a troopy where the tent folded forward over the bonnet area and left the rear half of the rack to stand on when parked (so you can't miss that first step in the middle of the night, ouch). It also has a permanently mounted ladders down each side at the back. When travelling the rear of the rack can accommodate gear and supplies. Speaking to the driver, he told me he didn't notice the weight being up there, but I suspect the suspension had been modified. The only downside I can see with any of them is COST! Air space must be very expensive because if they were on the ground they would only cost about a third of what they do up there! I will buy one myself eventually, but not for the exhorbitant new prices being asked now. Hope this helps. Cheers.
AnswerID: 5840

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Aug 20, 2002 at 00:00

Jp; they are fully 'zipped' when closed and as a precaution we spray the area before going to bed ! Been heaps of places to test against the nasties- Kakadu, Arnhem Land, Gulf Country.... not to mention south in Victoria in summer ! Have seen plenty of immitations and copies, not to mention the expensive imports, but nothing to better the Aussie Traveller... you must expect to meet the worst possible weather .. often you won't be disappointed!

steve
FollowupID: 2542

Sponsored Links