mungerannie hotel

Submitted: Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:30
ThreadID: 19031 Views:4465 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i have just joined this forum and am planning to traverse the Birdsville track from north to east in june in a NL pajero towing a 4 wd trailer, just looking at the trip notes and the fuel details i note that there is no reference to obtaining fuel at mungerannie hotel, is there a reson for this? using the figures posted in trip notes, with a trailer and my standard 90 litre tank, even varrying 40 litres of petrol i would be nervous that my margin of safety is not as high as i like?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrick - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:35

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:35
The Birdsville track notes on this site have Mungerannie offering fuel. if in doubt it might be worth a call to the hotel to check it out.

Start Point Birdsville
Finish Point Maree
Total KM 517km
Min Days 2
Fuel Supplies Birdsville, Mungerannie, Maree
Fuel Required
from TrekFuel 6cyl ULP 108litres
Best time to visit May - September
Permits None
See permits information
Main Attractions Arid Sturt Stony Desert, proximity to Simpson Desert, meeting stationowners, storekeepers & pub proprietors in one of Australia's most remote and lonely regions. Possibly experiencing the annual Birdsville Races on first Friday/Saturday of September.
Supplies/Facilities Birdsville, Mungerannie, Maree
Related products from our shop See related items
Researched By ExplorOz - Michelle Jacka
Last Modified 06 Dec 2004

Cheers,

Patrick
AnswerID: 91092

Reply By: Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:59

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 13:59
John and Genevieve Hammond would be aghast at the suggestion - fuel, info, camping and good cheer (amongst other things) are available at Mungerannie Homestead. Just turn right onto the Boulevarde de la Hammond when you come to the traffic lights - no joke - John has some lights there ! Great lagoon to camp by too -plenty of birds - a real oasis.
AnswerID: 91096

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:12

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 15:12
Hi!

Jonno definitely has fuel there, as well as great hospitality, cold beer, good food, good camping spot with good facilities. We were stranded there by rain for 4 days in May 2004, and had a great time. We even painted the ceiling of his new dining extension for him! They are really great hosts and have a wealth of knowledge and information to share with travellers.

Lucky you, if wish we were travelling up there this year.

Happy travels (oh and welcome to the forum)
Anni
AnswerID: 91109

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 20:45

Monday, Jan 03, 2005 at 20:45
We bought diesel there in September, $1.32 per litre.
We weren't very impressed with the camping area though, but there is a great spot at Clayton Station, about 120kms south. Bush camping with hot (artesian) shower & a hot spa bath set up in a round cattle trough with about 6 fairly high pressure jets of artesian water of up to 50 degrees. It was fantastic!
AnswerID: 91164

Sponsored Links