First Oz Trek - Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:07
ThreadID: 19136 Views:2522 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings once again,

The Mrs and I have been planning a trek through the Flinders Ranges for about six months now and March is quickly approaching us. We love to 4x4 and camp usually in one spot for 5-10 days on average. This is our first trip where we will be moving on an almost daily basis. We were planning on doing the trip with a friend in his well setup Hilux but it now seems he is not going to be able to make it.

So to all of you who have travelled through or live around the Flinders Ranges would it still be feasable to do the trip by ourselves? I have a GME TX4400 UHF and am considering hiring a SATphone for the trip. The trip will be 15 days in the ranges then a few days at Tanunda (gotta stock-up on some wine) then home to Melbourne.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:29

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:29
Marko,

No problems travelling alone. UHF repeaters cover the area pretty well. Make sure you also fit in time to go up to the gammon ranges and Arkaroola in your plans.
There are many beutifull spots to lokk at. I am sure Willem will tell you of lots of places worth a visit.
AnswerID: 91729

Reply By: Squizzy - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:34

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:34
Marko,

You won't have any problems travelling on your own in the Flinders, you will probably have other travellers nearby at most places anyway.
A couple of great drives (will cost though) are Arkaba Station, Skytrek at Willow Springs, and Arkapeena Scenic Drive.
All can be done alone.

Have a look at Artimore ruins and Nuccaleena Mine as well, well worth a look.
Get directions from the store in Blinman, they will help you.

Enjoy your trip, and I hope you get good weather, as it canl be hot in March.

There are many good camp sites in the Flinders, so you won't have any trouble camping.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 91732

Follow Up By: Marko - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:00

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:00
Thanks Squizzy - i didn't think it would be a problem, we were originally going to do it ourselves anyway.

I have penciled in to do 'wonderland' , 'mt samuel' and 'mt gill trek'.
PAR4 is also on the agenda which will take us to the Artimore ruins. Just looked up Nuccaleena mine too.. may have to include it... problem is there appears to be too much to see! (not that I'm complaining)

Looking forward to it!

Marko
FollowupID: 350519

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:11

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:11
You're right, there is so much to see in the Flinders.

You should try to include Skytrek in your plans even if you run out of time for the others mentioned. It is a good drive with magnificent views.

I think it is now $35 (not really sure), but it is not any cheaper than that for about a 6 hour drive.

There is always the future for more visits, as I am sure once you have been to the Flinders you will return.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 350527

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:50

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:50
Hi Marko,

For information on the Skytrek Trek Click here. The permits have now gone up to $40. This page contains the contact info for the permits as well as handy information for travelling the trek.

Don't forget to have a look at our other Flinders Ranges Trek Notes, including the Mt Gill trek.

Enjoy your trip,

Juliana
ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 350553

Follow Up By: Marko - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 13:08

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 13:08
Hi again,

Can you give me any indication how long PAR4 may take? (Artimore Ruins to Hanningans Gap)

Thank you!
FollowupID: 350571

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:54

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:54
Marko,

From Artimore Ruins to hannigans Gap would take approx 1 hour if you keep driving.
There is a great diversion into Patawarta Gap along that section though, well worth a drive.
You would do the PAR4 from Blinman & return to Blinman in a day easily.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 350581

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 23:47

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 23:47
Get back to work Julz!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 350673

Reply By: Chaz - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:10

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:10
Hi Marko,

It sounds like your in for a great trip!

Just a couple of points come to mind. Firstly you don't need a Sat phone in the Flinders Ranges. I have no trouble getting coverage with my CDMA since they put the tower in at Hawker. Also the Flinders are not as remote as they once were, there are people everywhere, and you'll have no trouble contacting one of the local cocky's with your GME radio if you get into strife.

If your in for some four wheel driving, you could check out the Bunkers Range and do the Sky Trek from Willow Springs Station. It's the highest place you can drive to in South Australia.
http://members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/Bunkers%20Block%20Camping%20Trips.htm

There are lot's of camping sites in and around the National Park and some excellent walk's if your fit enough. My wife and I often stay in the Flinders on our own for up to two weeks at a time and have never had any problems in that area. We like to camp at Edeowie and The Bunkers and do day trips from there into the many georges in the area.

You can get more onfo from the Mobil servo in Hawker on all the tourist stuff.

Have a great trip.
Chaz
AnswerID: 91741

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:40

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:40
Hi Marko you are in for a great trip.
We did 16 days Club trip at Easter 04, I could email the itinerary to you if you want & some costings re treks & camp fees.
Mt Samuals trek & some other areas require good ground clearance, there is also some good PAR's tracks.

What are you driving & where are you from ??

Cheers
AnswerID: 91755

Follow Up By: Marko - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:48

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:48
G'day Bernie
Driving an 80 series crusier, petrol, h/duty suspension and lifted 2". In the Garfield area (east of Pakenham) if that helps. Would love to see the itinerary if you could send it to info@dynamic-heating.com.au it would be much appreciated.

I've already put together a proposed itenerary but it is always subject to change based on others who have visited the area - thus my post :)

Regards - Marko
FollowupID: 350551

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:44

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:44
Marko

All of the above tracks and places are well worth a visit. Do come out to Warraweena where there are good camping facilities and some very good 4x4 tracks. Check out more details here on Exploroz as mentioned by Juliana.
AnswerID: 91763

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:27

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:27
Our preference for travelling North is through Clare, Laura, Melrose, Quorn, Hawker- it is much prettier than through Pt Augusta.
I like the Morolana Track which is a doddle and free. Do it from the east then return by Bracina or Parachilna Gorges. Great camping in Parachilna Gorge. It will still be HOT at that time of year so you may not have too much competition. (Perhaps the down side of this as you get more remote is that there will be fewer passersby if you have trouble)
' Eat bush food' at the Parachilna pub and go on to Copley and then Arkaroola if you can stand the heat and dry conditions. The roads to get there are in great condition and the 4WD drives are really speccy. Fresh food is in short supply there though.

Don't for one minute forget that you are in desert at a hot time of year. Vehicle coolant and personal water supplies are to be taken very seriously. The "short" walk with out water could turn very nasty. Make yourself a personal flynet to use on your hat unless you like the little critters a lot (they cost about 13 bucks in Hawker where you are a captive audience).
You will have a great time afer all this is South Oz and desert at that!

In the Barossa check out the small wineries. In this day and age with huge conglomerates taking over the industry it is difficult to find the products of small wineries in Liquor stores and they produce such individual stuff. Try Jenke, Cimicky, Turkey Flat, Bethany (great views) Charles Melton, Rockford(not open Sun.) Grenock Creek, Don't forget to spit when you taste – it makes you look sooo professional!

Cheers,
Camper
AnswerID: 91779

Follow Up By: Marko - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:42

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 14:42
G'day Camper,

Thanks for the info. Personal flynet eh... i think i could make a few of them up.

Oh the Barossa and me go back about 10 years now. Make a pilgrimage every 2 years and are fans of most of the wineries you mention. Do have a soft spot for Peter Lehmann wines though, they are nice not to mention we spent an evening on the same table as Andrew Wigan (wiggo) (Chief Wine Maker). Looking forward to the trip heaps!

Won't know really until it is done but I think I am pretty well prepared. I hope so anyway. :-)

Cheers,
Marko
FollowupID: 350580

Follow Up By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 00:31

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 00:31
Hi Marko,

Now theres a man who knows his stuff - good on ya Camper! I was going to give you all the same advice, but now I'll only add one bit. We camped in the Aroona Valley which was fabulous. It has good composting loos, and there is heaps of shade which is an advantage in the March heat. We did day trips from there.

Have a fabulous time
Anni
FollowupID: 350678

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:15

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 17:15
Yes make sure u fit skytrek in your plans.........and the blinman pub lol........Some of the best sunsets you will see in the flinders.
AnswerID: 91806

Reply By: 3Landerblue - Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:16

Friday, Jan 07, 2005 at 18:16
What a great thread and just at the right time as me and the missus are relocating from Sydney to Leigh Creek.
A bit of a sea, er desert change if you like!

We were up that way last August had a great time, I well reccommend the feral mixed grill at the Prairie hotel.

cheer 3LB
AnswerID: 91821

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:29

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 13:29
Hi Bernie, wouldnt mind a copy of that itinerary too if U please to:

optimist35atoptusnet.com.au

Agree the Flinders is a great spot not too far from home either.
AnswerID: 91929

Reply By: peter in sa - Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:06

Saturday, Jan 08, 2005 at 14:06
Hi Marko you,ll love it up there mate, great part of sth oz we stay out at parachlina gorge for 3 reasons not to mention it,s a great spot but it,s free, you can collect fire wood on the spot as you are not allowed to collect it within the np so if u want wood it,s a matter of going out side the NP to get it ,and the last thing is that you are not far from the PRAIRIE HOTEL which is great for a meal have the FMG it,s fantastic ,have a great trip cheer,s GREENDOG
AnswerID: 91932

Reply By: Marko - Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:48

Monday, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:48
Thank you all for your replies. I have had to make a few changes to the itenary but am looking forward to it even more so now!

Thanks once again!
AnswerID: 92161

Sponsored Links