Road Conditions? June!!!

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:21
ThreadID: 19707 Views:2055 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Walkers Crossing Road.... General condition.. Is it just like any old outback dirt road or is there anything special about it?...

Cooper Creek Crossing...Normally ok June time of year....

Cordillo Downs road ... Same question as above...

Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peter in sa - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:53

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 21:53
HI Voxson we did the Walkers Crossing track 2 years ago it's an o.k track the the first 30 or 40 ks are across gibber stone that's if your coming from the birdsville track end then you sort of drive between sand dunes then on to the flat plans , we spotted dingo's and camel's on our trip real pleasant ' if i was you i'd take this track in stead of the cordillo's down track 'cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 94583

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:05

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:05
Thanks... You just made up my mind..
FollowupID: 353521

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:27

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 22:27
The Walkers crossing track being open is dependant on the rainfall in the Cooper basin. Last year it wasn't open till late July but most years it doesn't even run.
By the end of May you will be able to find out if the water is flowing or not past the Coongie Lakes.
The Cordillo rd is a long rough track that can be hard on tyres but the old woolshed & Cadelga ruins are worth a look. My preferance if coming from the sth is via Nappa Merrie up to Arrabury then accross. The rd climbs the jump ups with some nice views & is not effected by local rain as much as the rd north out of Innamincka. As with all out back rds heavy local rains may close any track without notice. A well read 4by Mag made a great mess on the Cordillo rd last year after driving around the rd closure.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 94589

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:15

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 22:15
G'day Crackles,
re your last sentence...
Care to name the mag.?? (or at least some kind of a hint?)
If what you say is factual, then I cannot see any "legal implications"..

I believe that people should be made aware of such goings-on, & I for one, will no longer purchase said mag (if I know which one to avoid)...

One more or (less) sale per month won't even register on their radar, but if others felt the same, & acted accordingly, the mags may be induced to re-think their attitudes in such situations...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353614

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:08

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2005 at 23:08
Gaday Ed. 4WD Monthly, issue # 68 (July) had an article on crossing the Simpson which included travelling from Innamincka to Birdsville via Arrabury & Cordillo. Page 12 has a photo of the Road Restriction sign clearly showing Birdsville via Cordillo Downs was closed. Now they seemed to be confused in the article as to what roads went where so they detoured via Nappa Merrie to Arrabury (which was open) but because they were short of time took the short cut through Cordillo instead of the long way around via Betoota. They then proceeded to get bogged & leave a great mess in their wake. Now in the article they claim that they checked at Innamincka that that section was alright for 4x4s but no official is going to give permission to go on a rd that is sign posted closed. (Maybe they spoke to the Publican;-)
They go on to say the only other car they saw on the whole run was on the Developmental rd, probably because everyone else was abiding by the closures. It's irrisponsible to plough up the track in the first place but pretty stupid to print it up in a Mag.
Cheers Craig.....
FollowupID: 353779

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:47

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2005 at 01:47
Thanks Craig..
Evidently I missed that issue, as I don't recall the article...
If it's in print for all the world to see, I wonder if the "authorities" followed up on it??
My understanding is that Road Closed signs are legally enforcible, and that anyone found to be in breach of same can be liable for hefty fines...

As you say, Irresponsible & Stupid!!
and that, in a nutshell, pretty much explains why I don't fall over myself to read any of the 4wd mags (except very occasionally)...
Guess that's one less I'll have to worry about;-)

Getting back to the thread topic, I'm planning to be out that way myself early June (hopefully), heading for points North & West... We'll be keeping a "weather eye" on track conditions, of course;-)

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 353793

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 23:18

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 23:18
ill be up that way at that time of year also
AnswerID: 94594

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 23:23

Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 at 23:23
Walkers Crossing If open it will most likely be graded
Coper Creek Crossing Concrete floodway If open No worries
Cordillo Downs Have only driven part of it. Was quite corrugated. Lower southern part of track scenic through dunes
AnswerID: 94595

Reply By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:07

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:07
Two sites for you to keep up to date with:-

ExplorOz - On the Road - Road Conditions Or Click Here

SA Government (Transport SA) Outback Road Conditions

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 94600

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:11

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:11
Came down the Cordillo track in Sept 04 - quite straight forward - great in the NT section - just over the border into SA, things go downhill (maintenance financing I guess) -very rocky surfaces in some places, but no a tyre issue (or any other) if taken at appropriate speeds - the lower section toward Innamincka gets sandy and a lot smoother. PS: If you go into the Cadelga ruins site, stay on the tyre tracks - wire, glass and rusted nails everywhere. PS 2 - If you want to run further east past Betoota on you way out of BV, you can then swing south on the Arrabury road and take in Haddon's Corner (not done myself yet) - back onto the Cordillo track at Arrabury - this latter road is a good one apparently, but take local advice at the time of course.Re roads info - www.vks737.on.net also have a roads page with numerous links - used by staff to compile sked information.
AnswerID: 94615

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:32

Monday, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:32
Voxson - I just emailed you a link to our Club's website. There is a pic or 2 you might be interested in in the February 2005 magazine.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 94642

Sponsored Links