Telstra CDMA malfunction at Temora NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:13
ThreadID: 20247 Views:2130 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I drove to the air show at Temora on the weekend and camped overnight. I tried to make a few calls on my Telstra CDMA phone without success, in the sense that the LED was showing a strong signal, the calls appeared to be going through according to the info on the screen, but apart from a brief amount of voice on the first call I could not hear anything through the earpiece. I tried using the earplug handsfree also without success. I decided my mobile, the best one I have had and very reliable over the 28 months I have been using it until now, was malfunctioning.

However on stopping for a cuppa at Yass on the way home I tried the phone again and it worked fine. I called Telstra and they said they had been having trouble with some areas of NSW but would not specifically indicate Temora. Of course they said I could always upgrade the phone, but if there are problem areas around the place that would not help, presumably.

Has anyone else had similar problems recently? It's a first for me.

G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:26

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:26
I was at the airshow in Temora on Saturday and my CDMA ( Nokia 6225 ) worked fine although I noticed on the screen that sometimes the signal strength was maximum and sometimes it had dropped down to very poor two bars - this was all in the same area so it was going up and down like a groom on a honeymoon .

All my calls went through though - including a data download .

What did you think of Tom and his aerobatics . That crazy man is my accountant .

Willie
AnswerID: 97282

Follow Up By: PhineasP - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:32

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:32
Thanks Willie. I was actually making my calls from my tent in the Caravan Park so perhaps I was in a dead spot for the incoming signal, despite the strong signal indication on my Samsung. By the time I got to the show afterwards I had dumped my mobile in the glove box thinking it was cactus.
Tom's show was memorable, even better than the last time I saw him. It was also great that they patched him through on the PA so we could hear him describing his moves. I'd be a bit worried if he was my accountant, but I suppose standing on his tail in the Extra 300 every now and then gets rid of all those tax frustrations pretty slickly.
FollowupID: 355942

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:05

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:05
Phineas

Another possibility is that there was no spare capacity, Like the old all lines full. If the airshow was a large event then it could be that lots of people were talking and you could nt get a line out.

AnswerID: 97291

Follow Up By: PhineasP - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:34

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:34
Thanks Alan, that would make sense, although I didn't make any calls (or receive any) during the show, only afterwards. Still there were a lot of us gypsies in town, as these responses show :-).
FollowupID: 355943

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:36
I never had a problem at all there over the weekend. I wish there had been a major problem, my phone did not stop ringing all day. I would have happily paid Telstra to shut down the phone network. I could not switch my phone off as I was on call.
AnswerID: 97302

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:14

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:14
David ,
Are you from Sydney ? It's a long way home if you are called in urgently.
What did you think of the air show and the museum ?
Willie .
FollowupID: 355936

Follow Up By: PhineasP - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:36
Seems I just picked the wrong area, should have tried to call from the show! Hope you enjoyed it in spite of the interruptions.
FollowupID: 355945

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:42

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:42
Willie, no No NO Sydney is a swear word like any other capital city.
I am from Albury/Wodonga, and was actually on call in Griffith. Only a 135km up the road.
Yeah, the air show was reasonable, and the museum was great.
From what I hear the Bairnsdale Air Show was a bonanza. If I had not been on call I probably would have gone there.
FollowupID: 355947

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:00
Well really what more could you expect from Telstra...........service???????????
They wouldn't know what the word meant.
Karen
AnswerID: 97339

Follow Up By: PhineasP - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:42

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:42
But... but Karen, they said my call was important to them, and...and that they would monitor it for quality and training purposes, and... wasn't there something else they could help me with... I mean, it was like they were family! Besides, half of it belongs to all of us and the other half belongs to some of us! They couldn't possibly let us down.... could they?
FollowupID: 355946

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:52

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:52
Karen we have all our business with Telstra and never have a problem. We are a large user across the whole communications technology field. On the very rare occasion we phone up and get a ding-dong, I just hang up and phone back and get somebody else. It is inevitable in a large organisation you have the odd dead head, but generally the customer service at Telstra is excellent.
I could write a book about the excellent service we have had from Telstra. They have sent technicians out from Lightening Ridge and other locations to the middle of nowhere for us, without even asking.
Karen is a bummer to be so wrong eh!!!
FollowupID: 355949

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:38

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:38
David, I'm so glad you are happy with their service, you must be the only one............We run a transport company from home and our phone was out of order for 3 weeks. Not once was telstra helpful, and to tell you the truth they couldn't care. I couldn't get passed the operator. UNTIL I went to the local paper and they did a full page on the reports and MY GOD, I had telstra workman coming out my arce. It was back on within 36 hours. Amazing what the papers can do. I even had the top guy ring me and ask me to ask the papers not to publish the story. In his dreams. You can only be patient with them for so long. I told them I would go to the papers and I think they took it as a joke. Anyway, I got the phone back, and the internet, and as far as I'm cocerned Telstra can stick that F$#king phone up their F#$king arce. Obviously you have got better service where you are than where we are. Half your luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See ya
FollowupID: 355961

Follow Up By: David Au - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:28

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:28
Karen no wonder they did not give you any service with such a foul mouth. I can well imagine why you had trouble getting service. I can imagine you have trouble with every business. Pity you did not go to finishing school and learn some decorum and deportment. Certainly would not have gone amiss.
FollowupID: 355970

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:46

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:46
As I said David, you can only be nice to Telstra for so long.................we've had our own business for 7 years and have no trouble running that. If you give me the willy's I tell you .............If I don't like you I tell you..................If I don't like the service you provide I tell you. I'm not like these people who are nice to your face and then talk about you behind your back, I say how it comes. Thats why I'm always in the bleep , it's only the depth that varies from day to day.
If you don't like it or thinks it's right, then hey, you won't be the first one I've offended on here and hey................bad luck.
God Bless (is that OK.....................LOL)
See ya
Karen
FollowupID: 355989

Follow Up By: David Au - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:33

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:33
Karen I am the first to call a spade a bloody shovel, and *never* beat around the bush - however, it is not very lady like and does not get anywhere to use foul expletives. You can be super heavy-duty and still be lady like in doing it, and will get you further.
FollowupID: 355997

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:04

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:04
arce ???? that's not foul. Just a bit of auzzie slang!!! HeHeHeHe......
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356029

Sponsored Links