Porta Potty

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:11
ThreadID: 20384 Views:18741 Replies:10 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, all

We are fairly new here, to Aussie, camping and this forum (which by the way is a mine of useful information). Are there any opinions on the portable loo? We prefer bush camping to camp sites or parks, and were wondering if there was any clever way of making the outdoor toilet experience more pleasant. We have a shower tent that could do for a privacy enclosure, but the thought of spending time cleaning a chemical loo is almost more than I can bear!

W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:18

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:18
And they don't pack very efficiently either!!

Try these..

http://www.2daloo.com/
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 98047

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:07

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:07
G'day Ivan,

Mate, you're spot on......we've got a Jimmy's Thunder Box and have been able to happily crap all over this vast land in comfort and with minimum clean-up dramas. Just gotta have a shovel (mine is on the Patrol's roof rack 24/7) and be able to actually DIG a small hole.

I could probably change my handle to "The Happy Crapper"
FollowupID: 356598

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 21:15

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 21:15
ditto what Roachie said,

when you have kids and it is the middle of the night, and it is bucketing down and you don't want to have to get up to help them....rest easy coz they know where JT is and they love him and trust him. We have a French tent with no floor, with secondary installed double room. At night, JT sits outside the room, in the tent but on the ground itself. JT holds a large bucket for the goods. Sweeeet. Each morning I go for the long walk and bury well. Paper has been chucked in a bag so can easily be tipped out and burnt. Working well so far but will probably get one of those separate enclosures for Wife's privacy. Got my JT for $45, laughing!
FollowupID: 356688

Reply By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:29

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:29
Humboldt!? Ya must be from Yrk'shr lad?

Yes there is - if you're into _bush_ camping and not some nancy camp site :)

Took me a while to work this out but it has made camping such a more pleasurable experience for me since I did - and now! free of charge! to you...! :)

Buy: a plastic moulded crate about 600 x 450 ($10), a plastic loo seat with cover (cheapest you can find $5 or $10) and a jig saw.

Turn crate upside down and cut out an oval hole to match hole in loo seat.

Dig hole in ground - place upside down crate with loo seat on top over hole.

Open cooled beer (or glass of chilled white wine) - open good book - marvel at the wonders of nature and do what you need to do for as long as you need to do it.

Problem solved :)

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
AnswerID: 98048

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:35

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:35
PS. Double check for snakes or spiders first thing in the morning. I've never had any trouble with them but really...! I think the embarrassment would be worse than the bite! :)
FollowupID: 356583

Follow Up By: member-Diamond(vic) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:53

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:53
pps.fill the crate with STUFF on your way camping takes up less room
FollowupID: 356585

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:11

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:11
PPPS. Yep - It doubles as my "dirties" box (although it doesn't really get "dirty"). Chain saw oil and petrol, mozzie zappers etc. The _really_ big bin liners will cover it nicely.
FollowupID: 356588

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:47

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:47
Humbolt... weren't you a mate of captain peacock's? One of young mr Graces sycophants? seriously I prefer the porta poti.. no trouble to clean and no smell and no redbacks....and for an obviously distinguished gentleman such as your self it shows a little upperclass breeding.. Now I ask you would Hyacinth Bucket use a thunder box on one of her little raparian ventures?
FollowupID: 356657

Reply By: motherhen - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:22
Nothing beats a good camp spade
AnswerID: 98058

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:33

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:33
Until the old bones and muscles don't move like they should do and the balance gets to be a worry.

:)

FollowupID: 356592

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:45

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:45
Yeah no probs getting down but getting up is a bugger. Need twin shovels, methinks. Like that idea of the milk crate tho. lol
FollowupID: 356617

Follow Up By: motherhen - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:55

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:55
I agree with that sentiment. Often wondered how the oldies cope in countries like India and France (although i think Euprope has modernised since the 60s).

Also thanks for you tip re visiting Lipson Cove - i don't know if you saw my thank you message when i reported in after our little holiday on the Eyre. Don't tell anyone else - one of our best camping spots, and the only place in SA we got to have a swim. Peace and solitude, birds and a beach - what more could we want. Noticed also remnants of an old stone building. Do you know the history?
FollowupID: 356618

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:08

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:08
There was some sort of a jetty or wharf at Lipsom Cove some time ago and maybe the ruins were part of that scene. I think that they may have loaded wool from the cove...just a guess at this moment...should find something on Google.

No did not see the message you mention. Have been out of Aus for the past two weeks and out bush afore that for three weeks.
FollowupID: 356619

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:23

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:23
Willem,

You are correct, it was used for shipping wool and wheat.

It is also one of our favourite locations.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 356664

Reply By: Humboldts Down Under (WA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:25
Chain saw oil???? No, dear readers, we are ex-South African and loving our new home where we can camp safely wherever we like (more or less). Thanks for the dunny feedback (see, we are local now!). The crate sounds like a plan, and the thunderbox looks good, too. We are discussing all kinds of permutations and will no doubt come to a decision soon (mum has a good idea who will end up with the short end of the cleaning stick!). Hubby is very handy and may be prevailed upon to make a Humboldt Thunderbox!

See ya in the Great Outdoors!
-W
AnswerID: 98059

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:54

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:54
>Chain saw oil????

Yes I was surprised too but apparently it's commonly used in Australia to smear over the dunny seat - I'm informed it keeps Redbacks away and I would commend it to you - it has certainly worked for me - one good application before use each morning and I've never had any trouble with spiders.

Mike Harding

PS. Sit down _slowly_ :)
FollowupID: 356623

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:47

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 22:47
Humbolts ,

My wife and I have been very happy with our Delux Crapper . This is our affectionate name for an item that has made our camping so much more enjoyable . It is a folding chair with a toilet seat on it . Just dig a hole and place the seat over it .It does not have tin sides like the "Thunderbox and hence is much lighter and easy to store .

There is a cheap one on the market with a very small seat and four legs which dig into the ground - no good . The better one has a bigger seat and the legs are joined between the two pairs of feet , so it does not dig in . This is our one which we nicknamed the "DLX Crapper". We got ours from Boots Camping in Sydney .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 98070

Follow Up By: Kata - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 14:09

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 14:09
Willie,

Do you have a link or pic pf the "DLX Crapper" that you got from " Boots Camping in Sydney" as they dont seem to have a website and I live in Melb

Cheers
Kon
FollowupID: 356765

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:14

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:14
Go the Bumper Dumper...
Cant be beat!
AnswerID: 98079

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:49

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:49
W,

We've been using a Porta Potti for 20 years. Emptying them is not at all unpleasant. The chemical you put in them means there is virtually no smell. Simply tip it out, pour some water in to rinse it (do this two or three times) and it's done.

Stays in the shower tent during the day, and we put it in the camper at night so that my wife can use it during the night if she needs to without having to go outside.

For me, the five minutes it takes to clean is a small price to pay opposed to using filthy communal pit toilets or trudging off into the bush with a shovel.

I've just got home from three days away and wouldn't be without it. Makes camping that little bit more civilised, especially for the ladies.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 98139

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:19

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:19
I agree with Jim!!!!! We have a Porta Potti.... and provided you use the correct chemicals in the correct quantity it isn't too much of a drama to clean.... bugger digging holes every time one of us wants to "go-potty".... and hands up those who say they dig the holes deep enough every time but in actual fact don't........ so the dunny paper and your "discard" rises to the surface eventually???

Mind you..... I had to be convinced we should get one... but my SWMBO decided we had to have one and that was that!!! And now I wouldn't be without it!
FollowupID: 356651

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:53

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:53
Hear Hear Jimbo...Humbolt... weren't you a mate of captain peacock's? One of young mr Graces sycophants? seriously I prefer the porta poti.. no trouble to clean and no smell and no redbacks....and for an obviously distinguished gentleman such as your self it shows a little upperclass breeding.. Now I ask you would Hyacinth Bucket use a thunder box on one of her little raparian ventures?
FollowupID: 356660

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:27

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 18:27
Wife and I agree also, it is good at night when you can't just dig a hole in the camper floor, so she sits comfortably on the porta potti.

Geoff.
FollowupID: 356665

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 20:08

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 20:08
With my upturned crate loo I dig one big hole when I arrive and just use a bit of the soil to cover things each time the loo is used. Then, usually, every second or third day I need to dig another hole - therefore the loo is always ready for use even in the middle of the night.

All my camping is deep bush I never use organised or semi-organised campsites and, frankly, I would not wish to be pouring the chemicals a Porti Poti uses into the ground. I guess it's OK if you can put them into a sewerage treatment system - then again I'm no chemist and will happily stand corrected on this count?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 356678

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 20:32

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 20:32
Mike,

My understanding of the chemicals is the old ones were destructive (formaldehyde or however it is spelled) but the current "green" stuff is enviro friendly.

I'm no chemist either.

As for your hole in the ground theory. I had a mate who had a block of land we used to camp on years ago. It had on old wooden thunderbox located above a six foot pit that we dug from time to time as it needed to be moved. All we did was, after dropping a log we would spoon some lime in over the top. Never smelled a bit, and as far as I know lime is good for the ground. However, don't leave any lime on the seat because it plays havoc with your "Jatz Crackers" should they come in contact with it.

Cheers,

Jim

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 356682

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:33

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:33
Couldn't agree more with Jimbo's comments. When hubby said he wanted to buy a porta-potti a few years ago I though he was going soft and said so...But first trip away with the PP and I'm a die-hard convert, expecially with the two kidlets.

There's no nice way of explaining the way these things work so...Use the green (not blue) chemical which when used in the right amount is non-harmful to the environment as the active ingrediants are used up in the chemical process of breaking down bodily wastes and loo paper. When you empty it you have a virtually odourless slurry in which the toilet paper is already well and truly broken down.

Those who advocate the old dig a hole method obviously haven't camped in some of the places we have up north WA and Top End of NT where in some places you are flat out scraping 2mm of dirt off the bedrock let alone digging an decent size hole. It was a few camps like this, plus filthy, fly blown public amenities in some campgrounds and roadsite rest areas that convinced us that a PP was the only way to go.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 356791

Reply By: Humboldts Down Under (WA) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:02

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 00:02
Hi, y'all

Thanks for all the useful feedback we have received on our seemingly innocent query. All of it is useful, and we have to consider which solution suits us best. We should have known such an earthy query would raise a flood (flush?) of responses! I think it all comes down to how each one of us chooses to camp etc.

-W
AnswerID: 98225

Reply By: old-plodder - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:47

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 10:47
Always preferred the squat after travelling in Europe and a little in asia.

Get a good clean out that way :-).

Dig a hole, place the jacking plate plate at the front for a firm footing and to stop the edge of the hole caving in with use.
If modesty requires it (others around) rig a tarp up on three sides.
Learnt that one while camping somewhere in the middle of no where and a walking group came through while I was engaged. Got a friendly hello out of them anyway.

We always have our light weight shovel (called the toliet shovel) and a roll of toilet paper in the car, so it goes next to the hole. Every one gets to put in a spadefull of dirt after a visit.
Dig a new hole when it is full enough to cover well.

Hey, this is all natural stuff. After travelling in Europe and seeing the scandinavians just pull up on the side of a busy road and do what they have to do, who needs to get embarrassed?
AnswerID: 98267

Reply By: Member - Paul S (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 21:15
Hi all
Just thought I'd add my 2 bob's worth and it's a sort of a beware.
I've "used" most of the suggestions mentioned here but finally bought a Porta Potti for a Cape trip in 2003. Marvelous.
Bought a caravan last year and the underbed storage compartment for the Potti was too small for the Porta Potti (trade name of course) so I went shopping for a smaller edition. Finished up buying a Companion which fitted the hole (under the bed) and used it on a trip just recently. Disappointing. It's just as convenient to use as the Porta Potti but the flush mechanism comes a long last to its more experienced competitor (sorry Mr Companion). So be just a little careful. If you've got the room go for the Porta Potti trade name.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 98744

Sponsored Links