Follow-up on Spike

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:16
ThreadID: 20430 Views:2139 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Our friend Spike is still going on with his anti-4wd campaign. What a joke! After all the e-mails he received from people of this forum, he still can't print anything pro-4wd and can only put recycled b$llsh$t he already talked about previously. This just prove how shallow he is. Easy to put his ideas forward but can't handle somebody's else opinion. See below his latest article:

Tanks for everything

Since starting our campaign against oversized 4WDs and 2WDs last week, we've received so many emails we're almost bogged.

More than 80 per cent of emailers supported our effort to reduce the number of destructive, dangerous behemoths polluting our city's streets. To this end, readers made various sensible suggestions: legislating that drivers of such vehicles obtain special drivers' licences and training - for their own, and everyone else's, safety; raising federal tariffs so that imported 4WDs are taxed at the same level as imported 2WDs - currently 4WDs are taxed at 5 per cent, while 2WDs cop a 10 per cent slug; electronically speed limiting them to, say, 100kmh; outlawing dangerous backyard modifications; and doubling these cars' registration costs. "Tax 'em high," exhorted Frank Hicks, who also wants a ban on bullbars.

Mary Anne Hingerty wrote: "I have started referring to these things as 'SUVs', but this seems a misnomer as the words are: Sports ... the only 'sports' connection is driving one or two kids to soccer; Utility ... any tiny amount is surely vastly outweighed by damage to safety, amenity, environment, fossil fuels, etc; Vehicles ... perhaps 'trucks'?"

Jennifer Dewar's perspective: "Having lived for 24 years on a 24,000-acre property north-west of Moree without a 4WD and in Sydney the last three years surrounded by a plethora of them, bring on the ban! I'm now surrounded by the behemoths which the owners can't drive nor park."

Peter Lawson, an irate Leichhardt reader, has taken to printing out anti-4WD leaflets and leaving them under windscreen wipers. These leaflets warn that: "Oil is running out, but no one wants to talk about it."

Tomorrow, we print several more light-hearted responses.

SLY.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:31

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:31
Might take a drive to Leichardt.. Wouldnt mind meeting Peter Lawson in person.. I dont think he will be happy to see me though, specially if he touches my car.
AnswerID: 98319

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:40

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 16:40
Lets make it an EO gathering...
FollowupID: 356786

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:48

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:48
Im with you Truckster.. Now if this clown is putting leaflets under windscreen wipers do you know it is illegal for anyone other than an appropriatley authorised law enforcment officer (can be Council ranger or police) to do that in NSW and ACT... dont know about other states. If he has his name or any contact details on the leaflets... WOW a strike for justice - take the leaflet to the nearest police station and swear out a formal complaint. If he is only doing this to 4x4's then any decent no fee no win Lawyer would love to get him for discrimination. This I know to be true because I was formally cautioned (now on my record) because I was putting cards under windscreen wipers advising people how inconsiderate it was to park diagonally across 2 marked out bays etc. I was only doing it to warn people too. Our Chief Minister wants revenue and so polices parking with a vengance... very easy revenue.
FollowupID: 356832

Reply By: Chucky - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:30

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:30
I agree with the bit about 4wd's being a different catagory for driving licences. Not only would this make roads safer but a lot of idiots would think twice about getting on if they had to do another driving test.
As for other ideas, what a load of crap.
I already pay more for rego, I can only travel at the posted speed limit, dangerous backyard modifications are already banned, and Johnny Howard already gets a very large percent of my wage.
As there being no sport connection....4wding is my sport.
AnswerID: 98331

Follow Up By: slyonnet - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:19
Fully agree with you. The only positive idea is the one about some special training being needed to own a 4wd, but then it should not cost you more and what do you do with people who have own a 4by beforehand. They can't simply tell us that we can't drive our cars all of the sudden unless we pass a special test or attend a 4wd course.
There are so many things to consider here that nothing will be done overnight and this guy is simply dreaming here if he thinks he's going to ban 4wd of the roads.
FollowupID: 356797

Follow Up By: Member - Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:45

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 00:45
Chucky,

Why do do thing a different category of driver's licence is required for 4WD's?
When driven in suburbia, they are no different to other categories of vehicles of a similar size & weight.

What about the myriad of Courier Vans travelling our roads. They can be a pain in the bum at times. Their design allows them to be loaded to the maximum limits (and beyond) and they are powered by a two litre "gutless" engine, or a 2.5 diesel engine which is often worse.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356876

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:03

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:03
I find it amazing when these wallies come out of the wood work.

The biggest danger on our roads is poor driver training, knobheads who think speeding is good fun, and alcohol. Choice of vehilce comes in way down the list.

On every second street corner you can buy grog, but lets not attack these people, no, they're too powerfull for us little people, but hey, lets get stuck into people who drive 4Wdrives, thats a nice soft target.

So what they are saying is, when I drive my girlfriends 2door toyota, I'm a saint, but when I drive my GU, I'm a threat to society and everything in it. HMMPPH!

BAH HUMBUG !!!

MUZZ
AnswerID: 98334

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:21

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:21
Just ignore him and he will lose interest

all the best
Eric
AnswerID: 98339

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:36

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:36
"Mary Anne Hingerty wrote: "I have started referring to these things as 'SUVs', but this seems a misnomer as the words are: Sports ... the only 'sports' connection is driving one or two kids to soccer; Utility ... any tiny amount is surely vastly outweighed by damage to safety, amenity, environment, fossil fuels, etc; Vehicles ... perhaps 'trucks'?" "

yep just proves he is recycling american Crapola and passing it off as an aussie response. A letter to the editor regarding his content or lack of it might be needed.
AnswerID: 98341

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:52

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:52
A letter to the editor regarding his content or lack of it might be needed.

DO you think he would give ableep?
FollowupID: 356846

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:08

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:08
Yeah your'e right, judging by the content its probably a murdock paper, therefore truth and ethics are an optional extra.

You seen the flick 'outfoxed' yet ? i reckon you would like it. out on the dvd .
FollowupID: 356849

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:18

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 22:18
Its on Kazaa :) Downloading now
FollowupID: 356850

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:32

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:32
Lets ban Tobacco - How many die from smoking related illnesses.
Lets ban Alcohol - How many die from drunk drivers.
Lets ban Guns - How many die from shooting incidents.
Lets ban Knives - How many die from stabbings.
Lets ban Corn Flakes - For what reason I don't know but we are banning everything else.

You cannot continue to protect society from all aspect of life, What are we supposed to do, Sit at home and vegetate ?????

What a load of crap, each of the above kills or injures more than 4 wd's ever did.
They are not writing day by day to canvass support to ban those things.

As already said the guy is a bored moron just ignore him.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 98356

Follow Up By: Hano - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:06

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:06
Sitting at home doing nothing will kill you too, better ban that!

It comes down to media hype and propaganda. if they wanted too they could beat up a story that said grey cars were killing people because they are the same colour as the road.

i confronted a guy in a driving course because he was going on about 4wd's being intimidating on the freeway. I made the point that what he sees in his rear vision mirror is the grill and bonnet, sure, but just because he cant see the grill and bonnet of the hyundai excell thats half way up his tailpipe doesnt mean its not there!! i think we are picked on because we are visible, more visible than all other vehicles driving as badly as each other, including ourselves.

So, number one, can all the bullbleepmedia hype and shows like Coma Affair and number two, put every one through refresher courses, because we all forget how dangerous driving can be, and number three put 4wd owners/drivers through courses, run by clubs or the govt, that teach you how to handle your four wheeler on and off the road.

And now I'll get off my soap box....

Hano.
FollowupID: 356822

Reply By: 3.0turbob - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:43

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:43
I doubt very much that 4WDs will ever be banned. When one in 5 vehicles being sold is a 4WD,and sales increasing, the car manufacturers will do anything to protect their investments and profits. In the end, money will win out over everything (political donations) and these manufacturers won't allow the authorities to ban their vehicles.

Rob
AnswerID: 98413

Follow Up By: stevo1965 - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:13

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:13
yeah thats true but they mite put the price up to own 1 and that would be wrong and what john said about banning all that stuff be serious u carnt ban beer lol
cia steve
FollowupID: 356898

Sponsored Links