Annandale Station, Simpson Desert

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 06:58
ThreadID: 20756 Views:7925 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been up the track running north off the QAA Line in the Simpson Desert, up to Annandale Station and beyond to Muncoonie. It is marked on the map as a private station track. Which station does it belong to. Another thing, what station has the land just to the east of Tobermorey and south of the Donohue Hwy.

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:23

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:23
Gidday Simon

My father, Wolfgang, is a local artist. He paints up that way a fair bit. If you would like to see some images of Eyre Creek (which flows through Muncoonie and past Annandale Station ruins) click here

The track is on Adria Downs Station which is owned by David and Nell Brook. They live in Birdsville. They also run Cameron Downs, Cordillo Downs, Mumpieowie & Alton Downs.

Drop in for a cuppa if you're in town. Wolfgang spends alot of time out in the desert painting and is always happy to share his knowledge.
AnswerID: 100070

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:38

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:38
Karsten,

We will be dropping by for an EO cuppa too in early April, wish I had been in EO when we were there a few times for a cuppa during th 02 races.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 358359

Follow Up By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:26

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:26
Onya Bonz

We're just "renovating" the cafe at the mo........I hope we've got the kitchen back together before you arrive.....

(Should be open again from the 26th March)

Safe travels

Karsten
FollowupID: 358365

Follow Up By: Simon - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:06

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:06
Hi Karsten,

Thanks for the info, We have looked at Woflgangs paintings online and they look very good. Next time we are in Birdsville we will certainly drop in and I expect my wife will take one of his paintings away with her.

We are wondering whether we can do a trip from Birdsville to Tobermorey either via Annandale & Muncoonie or due north from Poeppel Corner along the Qld/NT border. Can you tell us who has the properties north of Muncoonie to the Donohue Hwy so we know who to approach to get permission. Tobermorey Station is on the NT side of the border, but don't know who is on the Qld side. We know it would be a difficult trip, but that is what we want and we would be prepared for that.

Simon
FollowupID: 358373

Follow Up By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:54

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:54
Looking at an English 1976 school atlas....South-east of Tobermorey is Glenormiston....Below Glenormiston is Cooyeana. I suspect this has gone the way of Annandale (this atlas still has old Alton Downs as the main homestead). Ethabooka's there, somewhere and possibly a couple more.
I'll check and get back (unless some mastermind has the answer).

You shouldn't have any trouble finding station numbers with directory assistance.

Good luck. Love to tag along but I bet you'll be going in winter....
FollowupID: 358393

Reply By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:03

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:03
Simon,

I came down that track after a crossing of the Madigan Line. It is an easy track and very picturesque. Apparently the Brooks are happy to give permission providing you "Tread Litely" and spend a quid in Birdsville. They are very supportive of the city. If this information is wrong, Ruth at the caravan resort will let you know and she can also put you in touch with the Brooks.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 100079

Follow Up By: Simon - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:10

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:10
Hi Mal,

One day I want to do the Madigan Line. Two years ago we went from Poppel Corner up the Hay River to Tobermorey. What sort of vehicles were you in, how long did it take and how much fuel did you use.

Simon
FollowupID: 358374

Reply By: LineB - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:15

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 20:15
Hullo Simon

Around Annandale and Kaliduwarry - I can tell you it is a very precious part of Australia. Just above there is Sturt's furthest north (up Mumbleberry on the last attempt and on the penultimate thrust, Gnallea-a-gea Creek). That last is where I reckon Leichhardt finally trudged. Try one of my web pages (below) where I talk about abandoned old Annandale (1916) as it was in my time, 1963. One day I'll post a host of pix and say some more about the former pastoralists who got tossed and broken for beef production by the WWI need for wool. Meantime, I respect David Brook on Adria and expect that people won't go gallivanting around the Eyre Creek and the Moody Mulligan without his permission.

Hullo to Karsten and Ruth if you are on to my post.

Kevin M

Channel Country
AnswerID: 100178

Follow Up By: Karsten from Birdsville Studio - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:59

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 23:59
Gidday Kevin. Trust you're keeping well. You worked on the shot line, no ?

Or am I mistaking you for another Kevin ?

Apologises if I have

Karsten
FollowupID: 358394

Reply By: LineB - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:35

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:35
The one, Karsten. I hoped for an Easter dash up the Birdsville Track re the Page Family memorial but things haven't materialised. Retirement isn't all its cracked up to be. See you sometime in the next five years, though.

Regards to all in BDV

Kevin M

Page Family Perish
AnswerID: 100247

Follow Up By: Ruth - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:12

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:12
Hi there Kevin, sorry we won't see you at Easter.
FollowupID: 358422

Follow Up By: Ruth - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:15

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:15
Hey, Kevin, great photo of the Page Memorial - wonder where you got that? I've had another letter from our old mate Noel - haven't read it yet.
FollowupID: 358423

Reply By: LineB - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:18

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:18
Hullo Ruth

It seems we've pinched Simon's thread (sorry Simon). You won't credit it, but two of the grandsons have turned up in Adelaide and plan to do the 'Track. I haven't heard a peep since the first email and passed them on to Noel for a start because they wanted contacts. I am itching to go with them of course, but have heard nothing further. It is a very private thing they want to do so I must keep my excitement in check.

Best wishes to you and Ian

Kevin M
AnswerID: 100313

Sponsored Links