4WD's banned from Coles carpark

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:52
ThreadID: 21395 Views:4161 Replies:16 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Sydney Morning Herald "Column 8" 21/3/05
Coles Supermarket in Luera (Blue Mountains) have banned 4WD's from using their carpark because of "the problems that they cause".
I hope that enough 4WD owners complain, or ban Coles to make it problem for them. That would seem to be an unbelievably stupid move, for a company who works so hard at developing customer goodwill. 30% of new car buyers (registrations) for the past couple of years have been 4WD's. That's a huge group of people who've just been told by Coles that they're not welcome.
Let 'em know ..and I reckon that complaints from interstate would have an impact as well as those from upset locals.
G. Smith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:56
Would be nice to see their rationale for the move, plus the notice advising motorists at their gate - what harm could a SUZUKI JIMNY do at Coles in the blue mountains ?
AnswerID: 103269

Follow Up By: Smudger - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:01
Email 'em and ask the question.
www.coles.com.au
There's no Luera store listed, so ask you local Coles store to get back to you on it, or to forward you question / complaint to Head Office.
FollowupID: 360861

Follow Up By: Member - Bernard - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:07
Now I've heard it all ... but does ring true in respect of the managers of various Coles Stores.
The two Coles stores we use (Broadway, Sydney, and St Leonards) have been deteriorating for some time -- both in customer service, re-stocking of shelves, range of products, and long checkout queues.
Consequently, have been thinking of switching for some time, even if nearest Woolworths is not quite so convenient.
If SMH report is factual, it will be enough to make these two dissatisfied customers switch to elsewhere.
FollowupID: 360862

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:01

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:01
There is NO. I say again, NO Coles in Luera. Never has been and with the way Lueralites go on, never will be.
There is one in Katoomba and there is a sign on one entrance due to height restrictions.
I would suggest that no one gets their wee wee in a froth until the facts are checked.
I live there and will call into Coles (Open 24hr) tonight and ask
Vince
FollowupID: 360872

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:11

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:11
one of our local iga super market has repainted the car parking spots little so only small cars can park there.they do have bigger parking spots wayyyyyyyy down the back of the car park.there is a sign saying parking for smaller cars only.
AnswerID: 103272

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:25
So take two spots.

These are not commands from The Lord God, Ruler of the Universe - they are merely people making petty rules who are trying to force others to behave in a manner they require - ignore them.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 360863

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:42

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:42
Agree 100% with Mike.
How mentally challenged some of these people must be.
I wonder if it is decided at "director" level or whether the company has formed a "special committee" to come up with such solutions.

Yep, take two spots.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 360876

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:34

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:34
Does this rule come under some council by law? If not then they have no way of enforcing it and just park there anyway. But yeah, I would be informing the manager in person that I will be shopping elsewhere thank you very much. What a moron.

So what consitutes a 4wd? Can you drive your 4wd magna in there? Or is that banned too?
AnswerID: 103277

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:37

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:37
smudger
pretty bad when they actually say to you they are banning 4wd's but already there have been heaps all over the country who ban 4wd's with their low clearance heights of 2metres.its been going on for years
cheers
fozzy
AnswerID: 103278

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:56
Coles Customer Relations FREECALL 1800 061 562

Call them. I did.

I'm waiting for a reply by phone after a representative told me that they were "unaware" of the situation and would investigate.
AnswerID: 103282

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:04

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:04
Onya Vince - I had a look at the Coles site and could see No - repeat No - store listed for Luera ! Something fishy ?
AnswerID: 103284

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:23

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:23
misinformation.....

1. Leura, not Luera.
2. Katoomba, not Leura

read here
FollowupID: 360874

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:07
Ok so it's little sketch as to what is going on here. I shot off an email to Coles and will find out shortly (I hope, that is if their customer service is as good as they say it is).

I asked some simple questions and requested some simple answer in order to sill do my families weekly shopping at our local Coles.

Here is what I sent:

It has come to my attention that the Cole in the Blue Mountains (Luera) has banned 4wd's from using their car park.
I have a couple of questions regarding this:
1. What consitutes a 4wd? Does a 4wd Magna count? What about a Suzuki Jimny? Mitsubishi Outlander?
2. My family only own one car and it is a 4wd, do we walk to Coles now or just not shop there?
3. What council by law are they using to enforce this rule?
4. What right does Coles think it has to dicriminate against people's choice of vehicle?
5. What are these so called "problems" that these 4wds are causing in order for them to be banned.
We spend over $100 per week at our local Coles supermarket and would like all of these questions answered to my satifaction or my family will be shopping elsewhere from now on.
AnswerID: 103286

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 15:22

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 15:22
Hi Jeff,

If they don't want 4WDers shopping business, then I guess they'll also be happy to forgoe the fuel purchase from Coles Express service stations.

Hugh
FollowupID: 360889

Reply By: Michael Carey - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:08

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:08
This is absolute cr@p! We live in Australia people!!
We are legally allowed to purchase these vehicles and drive them on Australian roads. Who are they to ban them from their carparks? I always try to park my Hilux away from the main traffic areas anyway, to try and prevent panel damage by door swinging ingrates!!
If this decision isn't reversed, even though it is a long way from where I live, I won't be shopping at Coles and I won't be afraid to tell them why....
AnswerID: 103287

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:14

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:14
I would go to this store, fill my trolley chock a block with the most expensive items I could find. Go to the service desk, call the manager over and calmly explain that I was going to purschase all this stuff but because I couldn't park my 4wd in their carpark I had decided it was too much effort to get it to my car and I would be going somewhere else more convienient.
If enough did it, I'm sure the dipstick would get the message!!
AnswerID: 103290

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:21

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:21
It's KMart - not Coles. They are lowering the clearance bars of their carpark to 1.8m, as a result of "an OH&S issue of the pipes and drainage hanging from the roof. This restriction in height matches that of the bakers Delight entrance". People-movers, tradesmans vans,etc will also not make it under the barrier.

There is still some parking not affected.

Looks like it's another beat-up by the SMH - and not even an accurate one. Time to retract your statement in tomorrow's Column-8 SMH!!
AnswerID: 103291

Reply By: Member - Landie - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 13:33
The article follows, it is the Katoomba store. Mind you too much huff and puff about it I think.

This is the age of consumerism and consumers are king. Anyone who is willing to alieniate there customer base will suffer, Coles will find this out if it is in fact correct.

The 4WD debate that the Spike column across the page had so much fun with earlier this month may be drawing first blood. Paul Duncan, of Leura, reports: "Here in the mountains, we believe actions speak louder than words. The local Coles (Katoomba) has banned 4WDs from the car park, beginning in April, because of all the problems they cause. Now, if only the council and others would follow suit we could start to reclaim the streets from these ..." Paul then goes on to make all sorts of unpleasant remarks about inconsiderate 4WD owners. Unquote

AnswerID: 103295

Follow Up By: Smudger - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 14:14

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 14:14
Trouble is Landie, I reckon that while the loud, looney moinority is getting their point of view out there, while we've been sitting back saying it's not worth commenting on. Net result is, they get heard, we don't and their opinion seems to be the popular view. Unfortunately the press and the pollies are fickle bastards, they go where the wind blows 'em.
The whole anti 4WD thing is being fuelled by just a handful of people and others jump on the bandwagon from time to time. You're right, the consumer rules, but they gotta know who the consumer is.
FollowupID: 360881

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:19

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:19
Exactly, that's why even if it is Kmart and not Coles, even if it is a restriction on height, email Coles. Slander them. They will getbleepoff that all these people are getting upset about somthing that is not true and take it out on the SMH. They could do with a corporate whipping. Might make them think twice before plublishing tripe.

It also get's the message accross to Coles when building new car parks that 4wd owners/drivers are customers and won't take a liking to poorly designed parking areas that exclude them from access.
BE STRONG - BE HEARD!
FollowupID: 360891

Follow Up By: Member- Peter & Mrs Peter, Lez - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:54

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 21:54
K-Mart, Coles,Myer, Wendys, etc etc all the same company.
FollowupID: 360922

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:27

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 16:27
I also just sent them this:

Visibility

A regular complaint is that 4WDs impede the vision of other cars. 4WDs do impede the visibility of sedans because of their height; however, the same can be said about vans, people movers, caravans, tradesmen's trailers, utes, buses, trucks and even some of the larger sedans. The basic factor here is that all road users must drive to meet the conditions of the road, and anticipate the road and traffic conditions (especially in the busy peak hour periods). Road users should factor visibility into their driving habits and ensure that they do not tailgate.

Chrysler Voyager

Overall height (mm) 1749

Toyota Hi Ace

Overall height (mm) 1930

Ford Transit

Overall height (mm) 2363

Nissan Patrol

Overall height (mm) 1875

Source - drive.com.au

Vehicle Size

Another regular complaint is that 4WDs take up more than their fair share of roads, car parks etc. 4WDs are not necessarily larger than sedans. The Toyota Landcruiser and the Nissan Patrol (two of the bigger 4WDs) are roughly the same size, or smaller, in surface area (plan view) than the Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon, or Chrysler Voyager and similar large sedans or people movers. They in fact take up no more room on urban streets, car parks etc than do these common vehicles.

Chrysler Voyager
Overall length (mm) 5094
Overall width (mm) 1997

Ford Falcon Wagon

Overall length (mm) 5053

Overall width (mm) 1863

Holden Commodore Wagon

Overall length (mm) 5046

Overall width (mm) 1847

Nissan Patrol

Overall length (mm) 4930

Overall width (mm) 1930

Source - drive.com.au

AnswerID: 103318

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 17:52

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 17:52
http://www.smh.com.au/column8/index.html
AnswerID: 103333

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 22:00

Monday, Mar 21, 2005 at 22:00
So, we now know where the next Gathering will be...
AnswerID: 103375

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:16

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:16
damn coz the shops are shut sundays here in WA I use the woolies carpark to unroll my winch and test it using the shopping trolley parking bay to pull against
AnswerID: 103398

Reply By: bruce - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:24

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:24
WOW..all this huff and puff over a store that has a problem with the height of its entrance to the car park....they try to help by telling people not to try and enter or the HIGH vehicle will get damaged and some clowns will try and then complain....what about all the low bridges around , do we hear the truckies complaining that they are not allowed to use such and such a road because of the low bridge...no they just use another road...
AnswerID: 103415

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:02

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2005 at 13:02
ARE YOU FOR REAL BRUCE???? Read the Article that was run in the SMH, not the CORRECT explanation that was AFTER the article was published!!!!

Read on.....

The 4WD debate that the Spike column across the page had so much fun with earlier this month may be drawing first blood. Paul Duncan, of Leura, reports: "Here in the mountains, we believe actions speak louder than words. The local Coles (Katoomba) has banned 4WDs from the car park, beginning in April, because of all the problems they cause. Now, if only the council and others would follow suit we could start to reclaim the streets from these ..." Paul then goes on to make all sorts of unpleasant remarks about inconsiderate 4WD owners.

If you check the website, the article has now been removed, but no retraction published. The reports from those that have contacted coles, Kmart etc now understand the initial reason for the change, but it has nothing to do with 4WD targeting, UNLIKE hwat was published in the article.

Now, after ascertaining all the facts do you understand all the 'huff and puff'. What was a legitimate passage of information, (height restrictions) was twisted by the SMH into a 4WD attack, as if we dont get enough of that $hit everywhere else in the media.
Think fast, but speak slowly!
FollowupID: 360968

Sponsored Links