Tambo Campers

Submitted: Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 16:16
ThreadID: 21774 Views:7387 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Has anyone got/used the Tambo trailers and if so what are they like. As anyone taken them to places like the Simpson, Cape York or Vic High country.

Anyone know how they compare to Redback Campers.

Thanks
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:36

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:36
Hi Neil,

I have a Tambo Cooper and LOVE IT! It is well made with heaps of added features and I bought it at a great price. I have taken it away to a few places, but not much off road. I don't think that Amanda or Keith at Tambo would recommend taking it to the Simpson, but then most people disagree with towing in the Simpson anyway. I dont see why it couldn't to High Country or Cape York as it is very solidly built. The suspension are leaf springs, that are quite solid, but I will look at adding shockers later to reduce bounce factor. I don't think that there is any other camper that is comparable for the price. I looked at Outback and Dingo's and Tambo won hands down for quality and price. Many on this site own Tambo's and a few Redback's so I am sure you will get a good idea in time.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 105153

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:58

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 19:58
Neil,

I don't own one but read this forum regularly. With any product mentioned, and opinions sought, there are always varying reports. That is with the exception of Tambo campers. They get, without exception, very good reviews.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 105164

Reply By: terrano tripper - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:03
We are currently trying to find someone in the Sydney area that would be happy to show us their Tambo camper. We have completed a bit of research on them and have not found anyone who has not said they were not value for money. The biggest downfall at the moment is that orders are taking until about October (but this also shows how popular they are).

We looked at the Redback Campers in Salamander Bay and were impressed with them but the trailer ended up out of our price range.

If anyone is in the Sydney area please let me know if you are prepared to show your Tambo as we would really appreciate it, as it is a bit difficult to get to Melbourne with kids to review the campers down there.

Thanks
AnswerID: 105185

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (ACT) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:20

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:20
Hi
I live in Canberra and will be taking delivery of our Tambo camper in 4 weeks time.
If you can wait till then you are quite welcome to come down and have a look. we went to Melbourne in January and had a look and were greatly impressed.
cheers
Alan.
FollowupID: 362302

Follow Up By: terrano tripper - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:13

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:13
Alan we would really like to see your camper. Thanks for the offer.
FollowupID: 362455

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:35

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:35
Hi Terrano tripper, leave a contact phone no or email add. in my rig profile & Msg and i will contact you
cheers
Alan
FollowupID: 362459

Follow Up By: jackarootambo - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 21:04

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 21:04
hi terrano tripper

we have a tambo cooper camper trailer are very happy with it, we live in wollongong if you would like to come and have a look at it,it would not be a problem - leave a contact phone no or email address in my rig profile and msg and i will contact you

john
FollowupID: 365717

Follow Up By: Terrano Tripper (NSW) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 19:40

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 19:40
John, Thanks for the offer but unfortunatly we are having to look elsewhere for a camper, January or so seems to be the wait time now. We want to be out there doing it before then, sick of borrowing the sisters on road cub trailer.
FollowupID: 366103

Reply By: Neil_surf - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:25
Alan
I'd love to take a look at it, how long did you have to wait for yours.
AnswerID: 105191

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (ACT) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:11

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 22:11
Placed order on 25/01/05 will pick it up first week of May. You are quite welcome to have a look.
FollowupID: 362310

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:52

Monday, Apr 04, 2005 at 21:52
Hi Neil,
love my Tambo Cooper, IMO it is arguably the best value entry level camper around. Have had it in the high country once albeit not on very trying roads, testing the waters one toe at a time. I tow behind a Triton and it travels well, electric brakes are a must and really prove their worth off road. I also am thinking of fitting shockers as I feel it is a bit bouncy in some situations. Never had a redback so I can't comment there. Have you tried a general search with Tambo as a key word? Should be plenty of info there to keep you busy for a while.
Blue
AnswerID: 105198

Reply By: Bytemrk - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:59

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 03:59
Hi Neil,

I'm another very happy Tambo camper....

We have a Cooper that I bought last year - It has been into the Vic highcounty several times and I am very happy with it. While I have not really pushed the sort of teritory i take it through... it has been through several river crossings (completely dry inside) and I pulled it up the staircase between King Hut and cobbler without a drama.

The trailer is fairly heavy - just over 500Kg empty - As others have said I'd suggest you get electric brakes. I tow mine with a series 2 discovery and it rides really well. The springs do have rebound springs on them so Shocks are NOT essential - really depends on how you are likely to use it.

There is a LONG wait for them .... but there is a very good reason for that - you simply will not find as good a trailer for the money anywhere.....

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 105225

Sponsored Links