Mitsubishi Triton 3.0 - Clutch Slip

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:52
ThreadID: 22110 Views:5276 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My son has a Mitsubishi Triton 3.0 V6 and has been going around Oz anticlockwise from Sydney. Clutch was replaced in Broome in November last year (some 12,000km ago). He is currently in working in Perth and has only been doing road driving. Last w/end did some beach 4WD driving and had some serious clutch slip problems. This seems unusual considering distance travelled since new clutch. Does anyone have any clues, suggestions or advice as to possible cause of problem and best course of action?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 13:27

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 13:27
Take it back to the Installer:-)))
Sorry David, just my warped sense of humour.

What was replaced before?
e.g. Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, etc.
May be a failure of a component that was OK before.

Can only suggest a visit to a mechanic in Perth mate.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 107024

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 16:14

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 16:14
Hi David,

When your son was beach driving did he encounter any circumstances like being badly bogged that may have caused him to do some very heavy clutch work? I have seen a number of clutches cop a hiding in this situation and not always come out in real great condition.

I know a guy who hires Toyota Landcruisers at Rainbow Beach for people to take to Fraser Island and clutches are his highest wear and tear item and are generally the first thing he checks when the vehicles are returned.

If it was only light duty work then you would expect the clutch not to be slipping given that it is only 12,000klm new and only been used for soft type work.

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 107044

Reply By: guy (sydney) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 18:02

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 18:02
i know the clutch was replaced however i had a triton gls 99, coming home up the f3 clutch started to slip so much i nearly didnt get home turned out the rear main was leaking so bad the clutch filled with oil. tell him to look and see if theres oil dripping from between the bell housing and the gearbox. If so rear main seal leaking cost me $1500 to get fixed.
AnswerID: 107124

Sponsored Links