old andado track condition.

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:21
ThreadID: 22374 Views:1721 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning east west crossing in early July and intend to use the Old Andado track from mt. Dare to Alice Springs.

Does anyone have track info and or any other usefull tips for that stretch of the trip?

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Padre - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:30

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:30
Hi Wolf,

My turn to help you out, I will be meeting with some guys who travel on the Andado track with thier work (Telstra Spanners). I will give a recent report on the road in a couple of days time after I have met up with them. Hope this is ok for you.

Keep Smilin
Padre
AnswerID: 108250

Reply By: Padre - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:50

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:50
Hi Again Wolf,

Just got off the phone with a friend who actually lives at Old Andado Station, his comments on the track from MT Dare to Alice were, 'Mainly a good road with a few corrugations a stretch of about 20 Klms of rough road east of Alambie Station". Take your time in this area were the only comments I recieved from John. John normally travels from Old Andado to Alice Springs in about 4.5 Hours

I will give you his phone number if you wish.

Regards
Padre
AnswerID: 108251

Reply By: prado-wolf - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 15:29

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 15:29
Padre,

thank you very much for the comments and yes if it is ok i would not mind if you could let me have the number so that i could check with him a bit closer to the date.

thanks a lot
AnswerID: 108259

Reply By: Padre - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:56

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:56
Hi Wolf,

How is this for a coincidence, A couple of Aboriginal guys from the community that i live in went out shooting tonight, guess where they were going..........Yep you got it down the Old Andado track towards Andado. Naturally i jumped at the chance to tag along. I'm glad i did the road was described as "a bit rough in patches" I am not sure what vehicle he was driving (maybe an Armoured Personell Carrier). Personally I won't be travelling down that track again till I know that a grader has been on it the day before.

The stretch of the track that I went down was from Santa Teresa towards Andado for about 90 Klms. The corrugations Eastwards from Allambie Homestead were quite bad and there was plenty of them, who knows I may have just travelled on the worst part of the track.

Anyway the phone number for the Old Andado Homestead is 8956 0804. The guy to speak to is John and he is a very helpful sort of fella, I can't remember his wifes name (She hails from Leicster UK). They would even give you a cuppa if you take time to call in and say hello.

Regards
Padre
AnswerID: 108514

Reply By: prado-wolf - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:53

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:53
Padre,

thanks for the comments. Sounds a bit rough but must still be better than the old Ghan track which we used last year. shocking track.

Thanks for your friends number. We will call him in a few weeks time to get an update and if he is a friendly fellow , we certainly pop in for a cuppa.

Can i assume that you live somewhere in the Alice region?

thanks for your help and cu somewhere in the great outdoors.
AnswerID: 108547

Sponsored Links