Cooper STs follow up to post 22445

Submitted: Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:05
ThreadID: 22473 Views:3260 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Well went to Don Cornells tyre shop where i purchaced our Coopers and it seems they will changed them under warrenty for us, when they looked at them they couldn't believe they had only done 7,000ks he rang Cooper tyres and Coopers are ringing him today to see which tyre we will get in exchange, 5 new either STs or the newer ST-Cs either way i'm pretty happy with the end result.

We have been getting our tyres from Don Cornell since 1996 and would not go anywhere else they have looked after us very well.

One point i must say i have been happy with the performance of these Coopers, they are a great tyre and give great traction on and aspecially off road in all conditions that we have encountered so it is strange that they have chipped so bad, also i have always maintained the pressures in the tyres checking them always and running them to the reccomended pressures. In the Landy i run 28psi front and 38psi rear this is the factory reccomended pressures unlaiden, loaded 46psi rear and 28 front, now these pressures make the car handle the best i've tried alot of combinations and these work the best on road, off road 26psi all round work the best, haven't been on sand as yet but i will probably set them at 16psi.

Baz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shawn - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:40

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:40
Mate and I did a runner up through Sunny Corner / Capertee / Sofala two weeks ago. He has the ST-Cs and I've got STs, both sets got chipped out pretty bad on the run, even though we lowered tyre pressures.
He took his back to ARB Southern on wednesday and through Coopers is getting them exchanged (so they can keep their name good) for the new STT Armour Teks. I'll be taking mine back to Rod Spence at Miranda on monday. Mine are actually in worse condition than the ST-Cs and have less than 6,000 klms on them. Be interesting if they don't come through with an exchange on mine.

Shawn
AnswerID: 108756

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:02

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:02
I'm thinking these could be a bad batch, seems that we have got our Coopers around the same time i might see what i can exchange them for as i originally wanted the new STTs.

Good luck with your tyres,

Baz.
FollowupID: 365503

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:13

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:13
Anyone got a good word for these Cooper Tires !! ...apart from the Leyland brother .. seems that they all give trouble and are replaced under warranty ? Now we are getting ArmourTek to fix the problem..read ..unable to get guaranteed milage ..???
FollowupID: 365601

Follow Up By: brett - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:02

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:02
Got my 265/75 off Rod at Miranda also, done about 20,000K's so far and they look ok. Last weekend did the run from Capertee to Sofala, didn't have any probs with tyres, camped in a river bed near the Turon for a few days, nice place, did plenty of driving along the river bed over plenty of rocks and no tyre damage.
Was that caravan on it's roof on the side of the track when you were there?
FollowupID: 365666

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:21

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:21
Gday Redback

Remember the factory tyre pressure is to make the ride in the 4WD seem smoother and is not necessarily what is best for the tyre as far as on road grip and wear goes. 28 front 38 rear, the 28 on the front sounds a little low. What’s the recommended cold pressure on the sidewall placard and I would stay closer to that.

I run my cooper AT’s at 48-psi front and back on road and the ride and handling doesn’t worry me

Only my thought’s if 28-psi works for you then use it.

AnswerID: 108787

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:55

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:55
28psi is on the tyre placard inside of the passenger door thats the factory setting for the Disco 28 fornt 38 rear strange i know but have asked around and this seems to work the best on the Disco, i know it does for me.

After years of racing bikes i know what 1psi difference can make.

Oh by the way hows the Explorer going have you made any mods to it, ours had a 2" lift and OME springs with tough dog shocks made a big diff off road.

Our Explorer

Baz.
FollowupID: 365535

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:24

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:24
Hi Redback

Yeah it’s good it’s a 98 XLT. > TJM T1 alloy bar, polished SS steal tube side step’s, Cibie spotlight’s, Uniden UHF (In car), K and N hi flow intake, went for the Lovell’s FE1 sprigs 55mm rear and put the stock torsion bar’s up 30mm (Koni shocks r next)

How did you find the CV’s handled the 50mm lift at the front? That is the only reason I didn’t go the full 50mm up front.

It has started the dreaded dieseling sound from the motor though. I think this is the timing chain tension ere. It was a problem with the s.o.h.c 4.0Ltr motor. Did your’s have this problem?

It’s a good 4WD though don’t care what people think about them. One of my mates with a Ute back 75series Rased with 33-inch muds was amazed at how far the explorer could go.

P.S any other advice you could give about the car would be Fantastic .
FollowupID: 365549

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 18:43
Mate we had no probs with the CVs at all ours was the manual and had trouble with the transfer case but no fault of the car it was an failure of Ford care to fix one initial problem that eventually snowballed into a bigger problem the car was great only reason we got rid of it was we drowned in the Wolondilly River at xmas and the insurance wrote it off.

If you want a place for cheap parts and i mean cheap and genuine it's in the states even with postage and dollar exchange parts are still a fraction of the costs just an excample, the front wheel bearing here from Ford Aust $1,135 each, in the states $275 we bought the two and with postage dollar exchange $700au plus fitting.

Ford parts network

Everything Ford Explorer

Baz.

FollowupID: 365580

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:52

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:52
Thanks for the 2 links also nice photo of the old explorer, yeah I read about the drowning so I think I will stay clear of any deep water crossing’s. Good to know that the CV’s are all right with the 50mm lift when I do the shocks I might put on the larger torsion bar and take it up the full 50. $1100 each for front wheel bearings H.S don’t think I will be replacing those unless I have to.

How is the Disco going? That is another good 4by that gets a lot of sh*t from people that have never driven or owned one.

Thanks again for the info mate.

FollowupID: 365596

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:43

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 13:43
I have had two ST's changed from chipping. No problem at all when this was done. They were replaced with ST-C's. Much softer compound. I wouldn't drive around town with them (I have a bush set and city set of tyres, coopers are the bush set). Haven't done rocky conditions with the ST-C's as yet but going by the feel of the tyre I would expect that they would chip alot less.
AnswerID: 108791

Reply By: flappa - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 14:10
I thought the new ST-C's were the new "non chip" tyres ?

But , they are a soft compound , so they DONT chip , but dont last as long ?
AnswerID: 108795

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 14:18

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 14:18
The older ones aren't supposed to chip either according to Cooper tyres and yes softer compound but according to Cooper tyres last just as long this is what i was told so maybe someones fibbing.

The new STT is supposed to have some sort of treatment, amortec i think it's called.

We will see this arvo!!
FollowupID: 365536

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:31

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:31
Nah . . . that I believe is a crock.

The old ones ALWAYS had a habit of chipping . . . countless people can tell of their problems.

I know a couple of guys who went to the new ST-C's to stop chipping , and largely . . . it has , but , they are getting nowhere near the K's out of the new ones.

STT are completely different again , I'm led to believe.

Haven't heard many complaints with them
FollowupID: 365552

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 18:33

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 18:33
Ya know, reading all these Posts about the problems many forumites are experiencing with the Cooper tyres, they would just have to be the LAST piece of rubber I would consider for my vehicle. I'm sold - NOT!!!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108829

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 16:02

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 16:02
Hi All,

Just to put in a GOOD word about the Coopers..........

I have the A/T's on the Prado in 265/70R17 and they have done nearly 38,000km. I have just returned from a 10,000km trip from Adelaide to Weipa in FNQ via the Strezlecki Track and SW QLD.

I encountered several hunderd kms of some really aggresive Gibber rocks and thought I was going to lose at least one tyre. I was on a tight schedule so had to keep the average speed up and mostly did 80-90 km/h on the track and the Gibber sections east of Innamincka. The sort of roads where you just steer around the worst looking rocks and hope for the best!

I also did the 600km of dirt from Lakelands to Weipa just a week after Cyclone Ingrid went through and the road (I use the term loosely!) was as rough as guts. Washouts a foot deep every few hundred yards in spots. Sharp rocks everywhere and the washboard corrogations on the banked corners were just awful. Again we were doing the trip in one day so had to keep the speed up a bit so the tyres copped a real flogging.

I can say I had absolutely no tyre problems on the entire trip. They did the job just great. I had 40psi in them on the blacktop and let them down to 28 front and 30 rears on the dirt sections.

There are only a few very small cut marks here and there on the tread face and they seem to be just about 50% worn. No Chipping at all.

I have just ordered a set of the new Cooper ATR to go on and will be using the current set on a camper trailer to be built soon. The ATR are supposed to be even better than the A/T.

I realise that most of this post is about the ST's and ST-C's but I wanted to give people the perspective of how the A/T's went, especially since most people have to go for an A/T as an allrounder tyre rather than specific off-road tyres.

Another member on here did a very similar trip to me on ST's in his patrol and was surprised at the amount of chipping his tyres suffered. My A/T's look like they could to that same trip another couple of times over before starting to look tired.

Just my thoughts... Will let you all know in due course what I think of the ATR's that will be going on this week.

Cheers
Muddy

AnswerID: 108941

Follow Up By: jacek1 - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 11:24

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 11:24
I have Nissan Patrol 2002. Last year we went Connie Sue Hwy, Anne Beadell Hwy, CSR up to well 23, Rudall River NP, Telfer, back to CSR at well 33, Gary Junction Rd to Alice Springs, then to Finke and Simpson Desert to Fraser Island and back home in Sydney.
For 20 years we tried all brands of tyres. Coopers 285/75R16 ST are the best tyres i ever had.
we did 14000 km and there are some chips of course, but The best part of it is that Coopers decided to replace all 4 tyres for free!
GOOD ON YA COOPERS!
FollowupID: 368541

Sponsored Links