4wd versus Car Deaths

Submitted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 18:58
ThreadID: 23128 Views:2241 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I live in the Bundaberg area. About 2 days ago a 10 month old baby was run over by a CAR reversing out of driveway in Bundy suburbs. It was NOT a 4wd but it still happened. It doesn't matter what bl**dy vehicle....the vehicle was not driving itself, it was not deliberate, it was a tragic accident.

Another tragedy ! My heart goes out to the parents of the baby and their friend who was driving the CAR.

Unfortunately such tragedies will continue on and off roads.

Do we now ban CAR's, driveways and driving ???????

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Terrano Tripper (NSW) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:15

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:15
No matter what vehicle you drive, accidents happen and people pay for it forever.

We cannot make a rule to cover every possible accident situation, commonsence and due vigilence must always prevail.

I think the problem these days is there must always be someone or something to blame.
AnswerID: 111963

Reply By: Member - Neil & Margie (QLD) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:15

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:15
G'day Wilgadene ,
funny we didn't hear about that on the national news , ah , thats right , you did say it was a car not a 4wd , watched a segment on A Current Affair a few months ago where someone walked behind a 4wd and placed a teddy bare right behind it , like at the tow ball , never guess what happened , it got run over , why don't they do these tests on all other vehicles just to be fair , i'm sure the results would be the same , except you have a lot more clearence under a 4wd ,, but of corse , thats not the agender is it !!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 111964

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:21

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:21
And if I put Harold under my tow bar do you rekkon.........hey footie thats not nice !!
FollowupID: 368318

Follow Up By: Member - Wilgadene (QLD) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:29

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:29
I think if they put "Little Johnny H " behind a go-kart you wouldn't see him no matter how hard you looked ( not too many would look if they knew it was LJH).
FollowupID: 368319

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:36

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:36
You'd have to do the same with his clones :)) Especially the one who's a "working class" hero in his own lunchbox. Yep, you know the one. Pushes others out of the way to become a media groupie and becomes Mr Nice Guy when anyone talks about getting rid of LJH.
FollowupID: 368321

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:44

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 11:44
There was an idiot not so long ago after one of these tragedies, who was actually advocating that driveways should all be fenced off.
This of course would stop all children being runover by whatever sort of vehicle ............ just like fencing around swimming pools has stopped all deaths by drowning!
Whatever happened to parents holding the kids hands and making sure they were out of harms way?
FollowupID: 368401

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:56

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 19:56
Hear is one from the other end of the spectrum. With a happy ending

When I was young (really young Like 4) I was with my grandfather and he was unhooking the trailer from the back of his patrol in the driveway.

As I was walking around I climbed back into the Nissan and sat in the drivers seat and pretended I was driving, my grandfather would sometimes let me sit on his lap and do a lap around the block so I thought I was just getting in some more practises.

Any way he had left the key in the ignition with the radio going and it was I reverse so being young and always wanting to touch things I turned the key and being a diesel it started right away and the patrol took off in reverse taking my grandad underneath it.

Now because it was a 4WD and had the ground clearance as the patrol went back he hit the ground lying in the centre of the driveway and it went over the top of him not even touching him. The Nissan came to a halt as it hit a tree in his front yard. He was in shock and I was most upset.

My grandfather when ever he talks about it always said it was his fault as he left the key in the car and had it in gear and. the big one he said he should have been watching what I was doing around an automobile more closely.

When I think about it I can not believe I did something so stupid but like he says I was little and did not know.

Now if it had been the car and not the patrol i would of killed him, I get shivers just thinking about it!!
AnswerID: 111973

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 23:29

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 23:29
Exploder,

That story illustrates another "old school" quality that is rapidly disappearing these days. Your granddad accepted the responsibility as his, because he left the keys in there and wasn't watching you. You were only 4.

He made a mistake, and he 'fessed up to it. And I bet he never did it again.

I'm sure you'd know very well what would happen these days.
FollowupID: 368570

Reply By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:32

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:32
Gday

I just heard, a very short segment on a car (not a 4wd) bowling over 7 kids at a school, one apparently very serious. I hate hearing things like this happen, but my point is will this get as much media attention as the child versus 4wd did .

Clive
AnswerID: 112002

Follow Up By: pjchris - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 00:04

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 00:04
For the moment it is... Front page story on the Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Herald Suns web sites and at news.com.au. Even got pictures of the car at the accident scene.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 368369

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 00:37

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 00:37
[ View Image]

Check out the amount of targets she hit on her way through to the wall!!!!

Children hurt as car rams school wall
May 19, 2005 - 4:03PM

Seven children have been injured, two seriously, when a car hit a brick wall at a school in outer suburban Melbourne.

The accident happened at Dandenong West Primary School in Birdwood Avenue, Dandenong shortly after 2pm (AEST).

None of the children were in the car and it remained unclear how they were injured.

An ambulance spokesman said a six-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl suffered serious leg injuries in the accident.

The girl was flown to the Royal Children's Hospital by air ambulance, while the boy was taken by intensive care ambulance.

Both were in a serious condition, the spokesman said.

Five other children suffering minor injuries were taken to the Monash Medical Centre and Dandenong Hospital.

Police said the out-of-control car hit a fire hydrant and a cyclone fence before hitting the wall, a police spokeswoman said.

The driver and passenger of the car were shaken but otherwise unhurt.

Accident investigation police were at the scene
FollowupID: 368371

Follow Up By: pjchris - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:53

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 09:53
Apparently the driver was over twice the legal blood alcohol level AND UNLICENSED.

Unfortunately it appears that the boy that was taken to the Royal Childrens' Hospital has had to have a foot amputated.....

This just shows how dangerous ALL moter vehicles can be when in the hands of inexperienced/impaired or just plain idiotic people. We should all, however, thank whichever Deity we choose that this particular idiot didn't have access to a heavier/stronger vehicle. Imagine what could have happened then....

(Shudder)

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 368390

Follow Up By: Member - Neil & Margie (QLD) - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 17:48

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 17:48
G'day all , yes it is sad to hear of these things happening , but , we up here in Cairns haven't heard of this one yet , well i haven't anyway and i sit my backside in a tipper running round town all day , so i get to hear most news reports , i find it strange that the one involving the 4wd hit the news even up here fairly quick ,, makes you wonder !!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 368465

Follow Up By: greydemon - Friday, May 20, 2005 at 18:04

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 18:04
Truckster - hope you don't mind, I have just copied that article onto the ABC Perth guestbook where there has been some anti-4WD rubbish posted.

Thanks

Greydemon
FollowupID: 368471

Sponsored Links