Optima batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:18
ThreadID: 23312 Views:5075 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, original battery 4yr old and has been flattened a few times had it tested the other day and is only about 50% good. Looking at fitting the Optima D34 dual purpose battery 650cca and a deep cycle all in one has anyone had any experience with this brand of battery.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ingenious - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:32

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:32
I'm running two D34's better known as yellow tops & one 34/R known as red tops for three years no probs, life expectancy should be around 8 to 10 years. Yellow tops go for $310 inc GST in Brisbane.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 112898

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:37

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:37
G'day,
I've got a thread going on batteries too. Can you tell me how you use the vehicle. ie long tours, drawing power for light electrical loads plus fridge or more for heavier loads ie winching?

Is the Yellow top really a dual purpose ie Marine type, as Optima sell the Blue top as a marine option?

Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin
FollowupID: 369045

Follow Up By: Spratty - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:45

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 08:45
Ingenious, were in brisbane did you get that price, battery world at burleigh quoted $365
Thanks Spratty
FollowupID: 369119

Reply By: porlsprado - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:38

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 21:38
I have a yellow top - D34 i spose, bought it 3 years ago intending to use as a second battery in the wagon for the winch. Never found the need to put in a second battery and never got the winch (spent it on engagement ring now bubs but really never went anywhere needed more than a shovel or a snatch strap) so used it on fridges, football field line markers, lights (Opus 2 lights thru an inverter) and assorted 12v stuff regularly and the occcasional starting battery off leads (yes, no engine running). So 3 yrs on and at one month's rest reads 12.71v. Very happy.
AnswerID: 112902

Reply By: Skinnydog - Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:53

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 22:53
Got two yellow tops, three yrs old. Run the usual, lights, 60l engel,phone & camera
chargers through inverter, winch, stereo, laptop, uhf, hf,desk fan in summer for tent and still going strong. $310 is a good price, I paid $400 at Battery World in
Port Hedland & just priced them at $475 in perth. I bet they get them from US of A
to Sydney for less than Sydney to Perth to Port Hedland. Still happy with them as the heavy duty Overlanders used to last 18 months to just out of warranty.All well & good when under warranty but still got hassle of batteries dying on you, which you dont need in the middle of nowhere.
Skinnydog
AnswerID: 112923

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:16

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 14:16
Spratty,

Compare the price of the Optima with that of the Exide Orbital (Blue) which is of the same spiral wound AGM technology and similar Ah rating to the Optima.

I paid $168 (discounted price) from Marshall some months ago. I think the RRP at the time was $220 or thereabouts.
Best price I could get from Battery World for the Optima was $395.

Bought the Orbital of course and it fit in the same battery tray as my old wet cell Deep Cycle I was replacing.

It is also possible to get a 75Ah Optima (D31M) but these have a significantly larger footprint.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 113010

Reply By: Ingenious - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:44

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:44
OK. Here goes:
1: The $310.00 deal on yellow tops is a cash/pick up only deal available in Logan City if it's worth the drive up. (Retail price is $440.00) Post an email address & I'll send you the details.
2: The two yellow tops I use to run my offroad van including a 12 volt microwave that draws 60 amps continuous plus all the usual stuff. (but no fridges though)
3: The red top is used as a start battery in my second 4x4 that is used as a (politicly correct) bush basher that sometimes can sit around for up to 6 months with out being started, has never once even looked like going flat whilst sitting.
4: It doesn't matter which colour top you get as they all can be used to do anything you like with them without doing any harm, the main difference is the terminal type & layout, for example the blue marine has normal terminals plus a couple of extras with wing nuts. (cca & amp/hr rating do vary slightly from one to another though)
5: Exides Orbital is only new out last couple of years or so & is not made in the USA last time I checked. (Made in Spain or Mexico I can't remember) Optimas are made in USA & have been around for a very long time, they were designed for use in vibrating road roller type machinery as vibration kills any other type off battery quickly. I'm not suggesting that the Optima is better than the Orbital only that it has a proven track record allready. (Time will tell with the Exide)
6: Downside to spiral cell type batteries is that amp/hr capacity is down compared on the footprint size of the battery as you can't fit as much stuff in a round hole compared to a rectangle.
7: If severe vibration isn't a problem for you & budgets a little tight don't over look a good quality low internal resistance Absorbed Glass Matt type battery as this is the same type of battery as spiral cell ones just that the plates are straight instead. These will also outlast normal lead acid batteries with regards to vibration, long shelf life, deep cycle & very high current draw situations. Can also be used inside cupboads in caravans & inside vehicles with minimal ventilation required, used upside down, sideways etc.

There is so much more info avail. but I've covered the basics so as to not confuse or bore you to much. I hope this helps!!!!
Cheers.
AnswerID: 113112

Follow Up By: Spratty - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:06

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 20:06
Ingenious, would appreciate the details on the logan location would be worth the drive you can email me at davros@qldnet.com.au
Regards Spratty.
P.S their phone No too if you have it.
Thanks
FollowupID: 369393

Sponsored Links