Trip Info Camerons corner, Birdsville

Submitted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 13:12
ThreadID: 23322 Views:3226 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys and Girls, I am in the final stages of prepairing for our trip beginning early July to Cameron & Haddon corners and Birdsville coming from Just south of Sydney. I am still undecided if to go Bourke, Wanaaring, or Wilcannia, White Cliffs or via Broken Hill. I was also thinking of using the Bore Track as well. I have purchased my desert parks pass from EO and am wondering if I should need any other pass etc.
Any input about this trip would be appreciated.
Jackaroo TD with trailer tent 2 adults 3 kids and the dog.
Thanks in advance
Will

Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 13:44

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 13:44
Hi Willb,
Planning a similar trip in July to Innamincka.
I am heading from Sydney to Cobar, Louth, Wanaaring, Tibooburra, Camerons, Innamincka.

Straightest line I could find because I have only 10 days max. I have no desire to ever see Bourke or Wilcannia again so this route suits me fine.

Happy Trails
AnswerID: 113007

Follow Up By: Willb - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:11

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:11
Hi Waynepd, I had not thought about that way. We have 2 weeks so we are goiing to get to Birdsville quickly and take our time getting back, knowing what time we would have left.
Have you any experience going that way, what would the roads be like?
Will

FollowupID: 369231

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:53

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:53
I have been to louth before staying at Trilby Station back in 2003. the roads then were graded dirt and an easy 90km/h on 30PSI tyres.
Of course things probably have varied in condition sice that trip, but i am hoping not too much.

I haven't driven the louth through wanaaring route before, the closest to that was louth to tilpa and up to white cliffs last time.

To go thru Bourke seems a little out of the way to me when there is a straight road via louth to wanaaring. One trip report i read said that Wanaaring is a surprisingly pleasant little town so i decided to find out for myself.

Can't help with the rest of the trip as i haven't been that far yet myself.
FollowupID: 369270

Reply By: Pterosaur - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:47

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:47
G'day Willb,

might have a it of trouble dog - wise, as I understand the're not allowed an ANY national parks or reserves. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

have a good trip
Terry
AnswerID: 113027

Follow Up By: Willb - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:54

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 15:54
Hi Terry, I can take the dog through the parks as long as I don't let him out of the car.
Will

FollowupID: 369190

Reply By: prado-wolf - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:24

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 17:24
Hi Willb,

we did exactly your trip last sept and it was fantastic. The only think that i can mentioned is that i might not use the bore track again , not for the 10.00 fee but in fact the condition. it is slow and it took us a long time and we arrived very late in innaminka that night. we met people at the corner store and they used the road around via moomba and they arrived at the same time so i would say that that road is also not the best.

Anyway , fantastic trip have fun.
AnswerID: 113038

Follow Up By: Cracka - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:54

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:54
We travelled from Cameron's Cnr through to Innaminka last July via the Old Strezlecki Track. Road to Merty Merty was a beautiful run. North of there a bit slower but a lovely drive. Bore track remains a mystery to me as I haven't used it as yet. The Arrabury Road north from Innaminka to the Diamantina Dev. Road is well worth the effort. Country changes constantly from stony plataus to sand dune country to the magnificent St Anne Range. Corner Country is awesome, take your time and stop often. Try and wear out that camera!
FollowupID: 369237

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:41

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 20:41
Will. How long do you have off?? Are you into nature, history, art or challenging drives?? Bit hard to recomend otherwise. Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 113072

Follow Up By: Willb - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:08
Hi Craig, We would be concentrating on the history side of things.
We have 2 weeks off.
Will

FollowupID: 369240

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:10

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 21:10
You may like to look at this as an option Will. Bourke to Wilcannia down the Darling. Both towns worth a look but you may wish to camp elsewhere. Up to Whitecliffs, spoil the wife & stay in the undergound motel. Cut accross to the Silver City Highway & Milparinka. Climb Mt Poole then onto Tiboorburra. Check out the National Park office in town for free local maps & a great display on the explorer Sturt. A quick look at Golden Gully & Mt Wood then take the Olive Downs Jump up loop accross to Cameron's Corner. Bollards Lagoon track to Innamincka. Use this as a base for day trips to Coongie lakes & all the Bourke & Wills stuff. North up the Arrabury rd to Hadden cnr then Betoota & Birdsville.
Run out to Big Red, the Waddi trees & the working museum. South to Mungerannie or Clayton station for a hot artesion bath. Gahn rail at Marree, Farina, Ochre pits & Talc Alf at Lyndhurst. Leigh Creek accoss to Frome Downs & Yunta. Heaps to see around the Flinders & the Gammon Ranges but you'd have no spare days this time round. Accross to Broken Hill which has heaps to see & do on it's own then home.
A full 15 day trip better with a third week.
No other permits required but unsure how welcome dogs are.
Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 369408

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:36

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:36
if you are into the hIstory aspects, make sure you do some research on the Conricks of NappaMerrie, (Big) John McKinlay, Inland Missiion, and of course the infamous Burke & Wills.
for b & w, try Sarah Murgatroyd's book, " The Dig Tree"............IMHO the best and the easiest to read book on B & W.
Australian Geographic do a good volume as well on that region, - "Corner Country".

Enjoy,it is a land of magnificent contrasts & contradictions.
AnswerID: 113090

Reply By: Member - Frank - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:04

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:04
Iam going up for the gymkana at inaminka and doing a couple of day trips around the area congie lakes ect. then comming back through tibaboobra and into a few local properties to catch up with old friends

I suggest you ring lindy at camerons corner for road and weather reports as you leave and ask our lass at the birdsville gallery for all the local gossip and events just watch when the locals try to sell you the water front footage on the creek

I know its hard to seperate kids and dog but I belive they still bait for wild dogs in some of the country you are going through and its a lot harder to explain the loss of a friend and you will be restricted in some parks and or areas

Just rememder these places are there only because we support them have a coffee or squash every where you stop and talk to the people shout a beer or two and you will learn a lot more than you can ever read about, remember real bushman dont care who pays for the grog, well they did not when I lived up there

frank

AnswerID: 113098

Follow Up By: Willb - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:12

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 23:12
Thanks for your sugestions Frank.
I am aware of the bait issue and I am in the proces of getting a working dog muzzle for the dog, which allows him to pant so keep his temperature down but not pick up a bait.
Thanks
Will

FollowupID: 369255

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:47

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 22:47
Gidday All.

My wife and I just returned to Adelaide today from Birdsville and Innamincka. We travelled up the Birdsville track from Marree, Stayed overnight at Mungerannie (recommended), two nights at Birdsville, two nights at Innamincka then one night at Tibbooburra and one night at Broken Hill (back on the bitumen).

The roads are all pretty rough in parts. The bit that is relevant for your trip is Birdsville to Innamincka/Tibooburra. Definitely do not take the Cordillo Downs track it is just too rough and slow (20-40 kph for hours). We travelled on it to cut the distance but it was not worth it. If you go via the Arrabury road I believe it is smoother. We joined that section after looking at the Cordillo woolshed. We drove slowly to preserve my nice new BFG tyres (pressures lowered to 30psi; no punctures). We towed a 1200 kg Coromal camper.

Innamincka to Tibooburra is a breeze via Merty Merty (Old or new Strez track) then the Bollards Lagoon track to Camerons corner. The track is good smooth travelling but deadly dune crossovers. Watch for opposite direction traffic at the crests and don't go too fast!. It is very sandy from Camerons to Broken Hill with heaps of dust. There are trucks/roadtrains to contend with and you just have to stop when they come head on at you due to the dust.

The country is all very dry. We had dingoes in the camp at Cullyamurra waterhole(Innamincka). There were not many birds. We were told that the rangers were checking for valid Desert Parks passes but they didn't ask us. In any case I think that the Innamincka common is pretty good for bush camping.

Oh yes! Birdsville was good too, but we all knew that didn't we? Ruth and hubby run a great park with all facilities and bush camping too.

Kings.
AnswerID: 113115

Reply By: Willb - Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 09:12

Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 09:12
Thank you every one for your suggestions.
There is a lot of food for thought.
I will sit done with my wife and go through them.
Thank you once again.
Will

AnswerID: 113292

Sponsored Links