Salvator Rosa Info

Submitted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 at 20:37
ThreadID: 23394 Views:1950 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I was just wondering if anyone has been out to Salvator Rosa NP recently, as I'm planing a week out there in the middle of June. Just after info on the camp sites near the creek and if there is any water in the creek as I'm led to believe that it's spring fed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cracka - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:43

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 18:43
Gidday there Olly,
The campsite at Sal Rosa has long drop dunnies and unlimited pure clean water in the river. The water is spring fed as you suggest, is filtered through a peat bog and flows over a sandy bed. Very clean. If you camp above the road through the campsite you can expect to be attacked by millions of ticks so choose the area closer to the river or below the road. Beaut spot and a wonderful place. If you can spare two or three days there go for it. Surrounding area is all black soil and very soft under the car so if it rains you can expect to stay a while! The drive from there to Tambo through the Adventure Way is well worth the deviation too!
AnswerID: 113472

Reply By: OLLY - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 07:44

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 07:44
Thanks for the reply Cracka, Mate how long ago were you there?
And do you think that the ticks will be a big problem at this time of year as we will be taking our 2 small kids..

Olly
AnswerID: 113518

Follow Up By: Cracka - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:07

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 17:07
Gidday again Olly,
Old mate were at Sal Rosa in Sept 2002. We camped above the track through the camp and were the only unhappy campers there. No one else had problems as far as I know. Mind you I wasn't talking to another camp as I'd objected (loudly) to the males from their camp trying to cut down some trees. The shangeye they were teaching their kids to kill the butcher birds with got a mention too! Your kids will LOVE the place mate. So will the millstone! The Nogoa River is a kids paradise, four or five inches deep and running over pure white sand. If it's warm enough take a shovel down to the river and dig a hole and sit in it. Been know to liberate the poor suffering bubbles in the beer while ensconsed in the river bed.
Ticks and flies? Don't let them stop ya!
Cracka
FollowupID: 369669

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 18:24

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 18:24
Was there early April before it got cold. Beatiful spot worth the visit. If going during Qld school holidays, best to book ahead.

Rug up as frost is not uncommon mid winter. The river is really only a spring trickle but very nice and runs all year. The scenic drive in on the "adventure" road is the way to go if coming via Tambo. It is shorter with hils etc but driven steadily is easy enough for the standard AWD vehicle even with camper in tow. Wet road is only real drama. The main road in is all weather gravel but can be rough in places. If you get heavy rain while your there be prepared to wait a couple of days. It never rains in June anyway.

The road from Springsure varies depending on when last graded. Don't travel too fast and enjoy the scenary. You'll be right.

Slow down for the last 2 - 3 km into the camp site. trust me...

The salvator rosa park is explored via 4wd track with a few interesting spots to visit. Walking can be fun also - maybe not with littlies. Eco toilet is really only facility. Water from the river is abundant and clean.

Recommend the visit, enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 113605

Sponsored Links