Human Waste (continued)

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:34
ThreadID: 23499 Views:2048 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
My conclusion to the Human Waste dilema on post 23449 is to use a milk crate with a normal toilet seat attached and a paper bag big enough for each individual deposit.
The paper bag with the package enclosed can be buried can't it?
I will also cut another hole in the crate for a straight shot into the ground

Another idea I will adapt to the crate method is using a plastic bag if I have to carry it out due to ground being too hard to dig.

I asked a few women what they thought of the idea and the common response has been good.

They just don't seem to like the actual squat position to do the hard stuff (that's what they say) without being supported.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:50

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:50
Hi Musty,

At the club, we use fold up plywood dunny thats the same size as your milk crate, with a normal seat and lid. Just put one of those twangy toilet tents around it.

The trick is to get hold of some 20kg flour bags from Bakers Delight or other bakery. These have 3 layers of paper, and are the correct diameter for the loo seat - just cut the bottom out of the bag.

Tape the flour bag under the seat with packing tape, and the bag is just a liner that will direct everything into the hole. When its time to pack up, lift the tape, push it in with the shovel, a spade full of coals in there with it and bury it. Its very clean, we'd normally change it 2 days max.

Not my choice, but the ladies demand it :-))

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 113944

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 18:59
What are the coals for?

Are they nessesary?

I don't like to leave anything going.

Im one of those campers that kills his fire with water and the leftover ice and milk and kettle remains and I'll leak on it if I need a pee.

I'm not happy until it is a pile of goohey mushy black mud.

Pity any poor buggar that wants to light a fire where I have had one. lol.

But the question remains. What are the coals for?
FollowupID: 369986

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:23
The coals are to get rid of all the toilet paper and the flour bag thats buried there in the stuff. Theres no fire risk - its should be well under ground. Its a good way to get rid of coals from the mornings fire too.

Animals have been known to come along and dig the stuff up.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 369993

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:14

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:14
Never been a fan of burying fires. It stems from a time as kids we had a "pet fire" and after school we would go and dig it back up and chuck sticks on it to get it going then when finished bury it again I find the quickest way to extingish a fire is to remove any logs and spread the coals. Water is of courst the best way but no one carrys enough water to properly extinguish a fire. I have hosed off a burning sleeper for a good 5 min thouroughly only to see it burning again 1/2 an hour later
FollowupID: 370005

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:17

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 21:17
Oh and the best bags to use for anything like that are the green mining bags we use for putting samples in . They are 150um thick 450x750 (other sizes available ) and totally watertproof (airproof) available from any mining supply stores they are also biodegradeable (well they disitergrate when left in the sun anyway)
FollowupID: 370006

Reply By: John - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:40

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:40
This is too much!
AnswerID: 113958

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 19:58
Are you serious?

I did title the Post "human waste continued".

If that did not give you a bit of information of what was in the post I just don't know what would of!

If you are notified of this followup it is the one about pooing in the bush so dont read the whole thread again.

FollowupID: 369995

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:09

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:09
Look here ..... http://www.2daloo.com/
AnswerID: 113995

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 22:30
Why not just hang your ring over a branch with your date on the far side, drop straight down into a hole.

'paper bag big enough for each deposit'
you wouldnt wanna pee while you drop. bag wouldnt be worth s h i t..

or go the bumper dumper if theres no trees around.
http://www.bumperdumper.com/
AnswerID: 114000

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:58
After a few weeks those branches are pure gold when you get a good one (good 'spring rate', non-scratch surface, no ants etc), better still when there's a small branch you can break off and install a date-roll holder.

Proper flash one Edwin ehhhh!
FollowupID: 370037

Follow Up By: Lyds - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:02
this thing just needs a radio attachment

don't know if I like the idea of a sealable bucket; you've got to unseal it at some stage...

FollowupID: 370038

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:44

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:44
V8,

That sounds EXACTLY like 2 weeks ago up Walhalla where we were campin.. bog roll holder and all. Non scratch ghost gums are THE PRIME throne. Peel off any bark, and away you spray.

If your REAL lucky, and its REAL bushy, you can find a branch to sit your magazine on so you dont have to hold it and another fork for your beer...
FollowupID: 370064

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:53

Wednesday, Jun 01, 2005 at 23:53
We went for the porta-potti.... with the correct doseage of the correct chemicals, it works a treat! The hardest part is cleaning it out! Not real pleasant but still worth it in my opinion. Keeps SWMBO happy, and that keeps me happy!
:-)
AnswerID: 114018

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:02

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:02
James old Son,

The simplest method is the good old portable dunny (Porta Potti or other brands).

Comfortable, pong free, and very simple to empty and clean. And women love them. I also love the freedom to bog at my pleasure, in my own dunny, with my own hygeine.

We purchased one 20 years ago for about $120 and it it is still going strong. A very cheap investment to ensure the most unpleasant deterrent to camping is no deterrent at all.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 114020

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:49

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:49
We purchased one 20 years ago for about $120 and it it is still going strong.

things were made to last 20 yrs ago, also were a wee bit cheaper than a good quality throne is now..

the other option is a normal Dual purpose folding chair like this, with a bog seat on it instead, that you just unfold and fill a hole in the ground. You could just sit on it around the campfire when not in its other guise..
FollowupID: 370065

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:23

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 00:23
While IM has us down here Perhaps I will share what works for me
- 1s before 2s, uncontrolled 1s while squatting can lead to golden showers
- dont go until you have to , saves all that time squatting trying to fill that hole you just dug, you should be sweating on getting that hole down and ripping the pants off .
- Bit of warm water from the billy or better yet yesterdays thermo and a sponge, while you have gone to the effort of wandering away from camp now is a good time for a sponge bath (unless of course in IMs case you have gone no further than the fire it would only compound fellow campers grief to then strip naked and sponge yourself off)
AnswerID: 114025

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:58

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:58
Like others have said ......"Get the Porta-Potti!!!!"
They're worth every cent.
Turns your bus, tent, camper, shower tent or whatever into an en-suite.
Then just empty it in to the next public loo or when you get home.
I got a near new one for under $70. Nice and clean in every way.
If you want the women to LOVE remote camping .... get a Porta-Potti.
Just put a curtain up at the rear of the bus.
Forget the bags and the holes etc.
Ahh! that's better.
I know I'm opinionated.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 114071

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 17:18

Thursday, Jun 02, 2005 at 17:18
What's wrong with a porta potti, the new ones do not smell when packed properly and can be mt.d when convienient.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 114107

Sponsored Links