WA to NT or NT to WA

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:18
ThreadID: 23965 Views:2040 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My family and I are planning a trip next year and originally planned to drive from SW W.A. up into Kimberleys across to Nt and up to Darwin and then back across plenty highway and down to Central Caost north of Sydney. We were basically going to head straight across the Nullabor to W.A. and start our 3 month trek there. (We are leaving beginning of June)

Having looked at the weather over the past monthwe are are now wondering should we head in the other direction and do NT first and then come down the WA coast as it might get warmer in Southern WA towards August. Does anybody have any thoughts on this.

Secondly, we have a Mazda Bravo 4X4 pulling off road camper trailer. Is it worth having a snorkel fitted. Thanks

Brad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troy35 - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:08

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:08
If you are leaving at the beginning of June then your a little late as that was 18 days ago.
I wouldnt bother about a snorkel this time of year, especially considering there wasnt much rain around this wet season anyway. Although having said that its been raining constantly in Broome for the past 18 hours.

I would certainly do it the other way around to be down South in August but in all honesty there wont be that much of a difference in temperature compared with July. However its been raining heaps down South so at least by August it might have cleared and dried up a bit.

Have a good one anyway
AnswerID: 116258

Reply By: Brad - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:25

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 18:25
Thanks for the reply Troy, however, it is next June that I am leaving.
AnswerID: 116263

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 20:02

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 20:02
G'day Brad

I would probably tend to do the Darwin end and across the top of WA part of the trip first, especially if it has been a good wet as there will be more chance of seeing running waterfalls etc. I doubt that you would need a snorkle unless you are hell bent on doing Jim Jim falls (Kakadont) as I believe that the crossing in is fairly deep all year round. A snorkle would be benificial if your doing heaps of dirt work but not an absolute neccessity.
I'm originally from south of Perth and can guarantee that the South West corner is not the ideal place to be in a camper trailer in June/July and possibly August.
It's really up to you as to what you want to see and where the greatest amount of your time will be used on your trip but I would be chasing the warmth.

Cheers
Wal.
AnswerID: 116277

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:36

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:36
You don't need a snorkel to get to Jim Jim.

If you want to go further, on to Twin Falls you may need a snorkel.

PS: Don't be put off by the people who say 'Kakadon't'. If you are up here, its still worth a visit, particularly as it is now free to get in to the park. There is plenty of good things to see there, a tour of yellow waters alone is a great experience. Gunlom falls is a great place for a swim and a camp, and there is some magnificent rock art up at Ubir.

Sure Litchfield also has some of these things (mainly the water falls) but It doesn't have Yellow Waters, and it doesn't have the magnificent views from the escaparment.
FollowupID: 371865

Reply By: Jim-Bob - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:21

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 20:21
G'day Brad
One main thing that has not been mentioned is the winds.
The best way to travell at this time of the year is anticlockwise so that you have a tailwind most of the way. A 10 knot headwind will greatly effect ecconomy as well as performance.
Also as you say by the time you get to Southern WA in August it will be getting warmer.

Safe travells.
Jim-Bob.
AnswerID: 116419

Reply By: Member - Matt- Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 13:53

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 13:53
Hi Brad, from a slightly different angle on your question, I used to be a tour guide going Perth/Darwin. From my point the best way was always starting in Perth, 'cos the natural attractions were alright as you head north but they continue to get better and better the further you go. The trip would gain momentum as you went from Pilbara to Kimberley thru to the Territory. When starting in Darwin, the trip started of with a bang but lost the ability to continually out do itself as you headed further south eg; looking at the Murchison river gorges is awsome, unless you have already come down thru the Pilbara and Kimberley gorges, you may not be so easily impressed... ah, the curse of the traveller
good luck matt
AnswerID: 116536

Sponsored Links