'Adventure off road campers'

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 16:05
ThreadID: 23996 Views:15346 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with the make of camper trailer by 'Adventure Off Road Campers' of WA as we are interested in purchasing one. There are three types in the range and we are looking at the 'Pilbara' but there is also the 'Cape york' and 'Daintree'. Any information will be helpful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fusion - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 17:40

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 17:40
G'day Tetley,

Check my disclaimer below and take my comments as you will.

I did a heap of research last year into caravans, camper trailers & 5th wheels as we were going to buy one of them. I went to about 6 shows around the country & spent countless hours online reviewing info. about this stuff, as well as buying mags for reviews etc.

In the end we decided on an 'off road' camper trailer, because they were cheap (relatively speaking), we could take them basically anywhere & we could keep one on our driveway or around the side of the house without any bother. We also figured the less spent on it, the less $$$ we'd have sitting there doing nothing for months at a time. But we also wanted a decent level of comfort in our travels, and space for all my gear (cameras, computers, video gear, tripods etc) and space to work while travelling.

We ended up buying an Adventure Camper because (in no particular order):

1) King size bed - comfy.
2) Massive easy access storage - more than any other trailer.
3) Huge very fast access kitchen - bigger & quicker than any other trailer.
4) Flexible setup - each part can be setup individually for short or long stays.
5) Price - nothing else offered these qualities, regardless of price.

Since buying in January this year, we've spent about 25 nights in the Pilbara and love it. We've travelled about 6000kms, lived and worked in the trailer and it has performed exactly as we hoped it would. All the weight (ie bed case, water tanks) is down low, so it tows beautifully behind our patrol. I usually forget it's even there until I go up a hill (or look in the mirrors). We've done some beach work, steep rocky stuff, dirt roads & heaps of highway driving & the trailer performs well in all circumstances. Some prefer independent suspension, but since I have solid axles on my Patrol, I wanted the same 'tuff offroad' suspension on my trailer.

A few options we got on our unit are: LED tail lights, bigger tyres to match the patrol (285/75 x 16 Mickey Thompson MTX's) & the extra bedroom. Our boy is only 6 weeks old so he won't be in the 2nd bedroom for a while, but it's there when we need it.

We were at one stage looking at putting a big satellite dish on whatever we bought for 2 way broadband internet access from anywhere. The Adventure campers were the only 'trailers' we came across that would be able to do this without modification. We didn't end up going with the dish as we weren't going to spend enough time away to justify it with my work etc. We got an Imate PDA phone instead. It does cdma internet access & broadband when in range.

So that's my experience, I should also mention I've now spent quite a bit of time with the trailer designer & owner of the company Frank Tabone, his wife Connie & his son Paul. They are all great, genuine people.

Thanks,

Aaron.

(Disclaimer: Since buying a Pilbara in January this year (at full price), I've done a whole heap of work for Adventure Campers. I did the photography for their latest advertising, designed and produced the brochure, designed and produced their new website & their latest series of magazine ads.)
AnswerID: 116398

Follow Up By: banjobush - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:36

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:36
What a fantastic improvement you have done to their website .........congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad we already own one otherwise I would have to go buy another!!!! cheers
FollowupID: 371944

Follow Up By: Fusion - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:45

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:45
Thanks Banjobush,

There is a lot more to come yet.

When you say 'own one' you mean an Adventure Camper or another Camper Trailer?

If you've got an adventure, which model, how long have you had it, where have you taken it, did you subscribe on the website for the newsletter? As a new Adventure owner, I'm certainly interested to hear from others who've been doing it for much longer.

Thanks,

Aaron.
FollowupID: 371947

Follow Up By: banjobush - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:54

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:54
We own an Adventure...........We bought it second hand last year! I think i nearly drove Frank and Paul bonkers asking all the questions I could think of before we bought it. Ours is an older model called a Kimberely. It has a wireless (cassette player in it). Ours doesnt have a sink but I actually prefer that (gives more bench space). We also have a set of drawers on our. As for places we have taken it...............unfortunately we haven't been that adventurous as yet........we took it to Collarenibri and Tamworth for a few weeks over Xmas. Took it to Mount Beauty for Easter and thats it so far..........O the kids have had many nights in it in the back yard also. Probably the scariest thing we have done with it was tow it around the edge of a black soil wheat crop at Rowena after about 20 points of rain doesn't sound much i know.

Ours came with really big heavy duty baskets in it which makes storing things easier. Also our has a built in esky which is fantastic. We have a boat rack on ours................hubby is busting to get a boat now of course.

i think the only thing we need to add to it now is a bike rack to hold 3 bikes for the kids.
FollowupID: 371949

Follow Up By: Fusion - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:09

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:09
I didn't know such a creature even existed. I know the guys have been producing and continually improving these trailers for about 10yrs, but a cassette player? Was that original or did the previous owner put it in?

You might want to consider the Adventure get together in the Grampians at the end of October. It'll give you a chance to get away, and meet with other owners. We hope to be there, even though we live up on the Gold Coast :)

Thanks,

Aaron.
FollowupID: 371954

Follow Up By: banjobush - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:15

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:15
I don't believe it is factory fitted, however h\whoever did it di a great job as it is covered in the same ply that the storage side is made of!!!! It is the model that the daintree replaced its green and is the same as the one that used to be on the old website. We have the two double beds. i would love to at one stage upgrade to the king size bed (however 2 double beds is not too bad if you get my drift), We got an absolute bargain compaired to the new price so I am not complaining at all.

Yes i jsut subscribed to the newsletter.

As for the October trip, unfortunately that will be the most important month for us in our 10 year plan (we are at the end of it) so we can't make it.

cheers
FollowupID: 371957

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:50

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:50
Hi,

we love the look of Adventure trailers, and were quite keen to buy one. I agree with the things that Aaron finds good about them BUT we didn't buy one. They are very expensive, we think they are a bit over engineered (too much to go wrong) and they are very heavy (tow bar weight). We bought a Challenge CT and are really, really happy with it (in fact we are on our second one). I don't mean to put you off the Adventure, but there are issues to think about.
Happy travels
Anni
AnswerID: 116414

Follow Up By: Fusion - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:34

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:34
Hi Anni,

I'd be interested to know what aspects of the Adventure trailers you thought were over engineered when you looked at them?

I know the Adventure guys run a small fleet of hire units that are pounded continuously all over the outback. I'll ask them if they ever have problems with the items you were concerned about breaking.
(Serious question, I'm sure they would be interested to know what concerns a potential buyer had :)

As far as ball weights go the Adventure Campers run from 40kg to 95kg depending on the model, which is very resonable considering the features provided. Having said that, these are not light weight camper trailers, no offroad trailer with their level of features is. Medium to Large 4wd recommended. The trailer weights range from 720kg to 930kg tare & 1200kg to 1500kg gross. Prices range from $17,000 to $29,000.

Thanks guys,

Aaron.
FollowupID: 371943

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:12

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:12
Hi Annie and Milny,
Looks like you made it to your now home, hope all is going well.
My ex neighbour bought a new adventure camper in 2000 and loves it, although he doesnt get to use it as much as he would like, he pulls it with 1999 patrol T/D and it seems to handle the extra weight ok.
Only issue I know about was crook w/brgs on plenty hwy about 12 months after he bought it, but he got that sorted.

FollowupID: 371967

Follow Up By: Paul from Adventure Camping and Off Road Trailers - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:53
In response to Annies reply:

I thought I should clarify a few of the comments put forward.
1.They are very expensive! If you take a close look at the features that you actually get with the Adventure camper being.
More lockable storage area than any other camper trailer on the market today.
A fantastic easy to access kitchen area with connected gas to the cooker.
A rollout awning over the kitchen for easy use.
King size bed with no ladders required.
True off road capability.
And stacks more including a hard top to keep the canvas protected.
2.we think they are a bit over engineered (too much to go wrong).
All I can say in reply to this is that we have now been manufacturing and hiring our campers out for 10 yrs now and can assure you that the Adventure Campers are definately not over engineered. Having completed trips all across and around Australia including Cape York where other trailers in the groups have failed the Adventure Campers have come through with flying colours.I myself have full accreditation in advanced off road driving and use this knowledge to further test and push the boundaries of our camper trailers including a trip across the Simpson Desert with nothing going wrong.
A light weight camper trailer built for off road use has to be missing something.
3. and they are very heavy (tow bar weight)
Here are the actual weights which are very much within the standard range required.
Daintree Adventure: 750kg. ball weight 70-75kg
Cape York Adventure: 800kg. ball weight 80-85kg
Pilbara Adventure: 950kg. ball weight 90-95kg.

To find out the facts about any camper trailer or caravan you are considoring to purchase speak to the sales people selling that product or people who already own the product you are looking to purchase. This is where this forum site can be very useful. The sales people talking about the oppositions product will generally have their information wrong and will tell you anything to make a sale even if it includes bagging the oppositions product which they really know nothing about.

Keep on towing!

FollowupID: 372168

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:02

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 04:02
Tetley,

One misconception nobody else has picked up on.

The Adventure Camper Trailers are made in good ol' South Australia. Here's their Site. Adverture Campers

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 116477

Follow Up By: Fusion - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:06
You're right Sand Man. You sound like a proud local :)

The dealer in Perth for WA is George Day, although I don't think they've got any Adventure info. on their site.

See Ya,

Aaron.
FollowupID: 371999

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:01

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:01
Hey guys

Just giving an opinion!! We went to a caravan and camping show to buy the Adventure trailer and came away with another brand, for precisely the reasons I outllined. This is my opinion, I didn't say it wasn't a good product, and I feel like I'm being steamrollered. By the way, we did speak to the sales people for both brands, so it was not an uninformed decision. Adventure guys, lighten up!!!
Anni
AnswerID: 117342

Follow Up By: Fusion - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:41

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:41
Hi Anni,

Please accept my sincere apologies for hasselling you, won't do it again, I promise :)

Thanks,

Aaron.
FollowupID: 372787

Sponsored Links