New to 4 wheel driving - any tips?

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 12:47
ThreadID: 24571 Views:2466 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I just bought a new Holden Rodeo 4x4, the 3.0 Turbo Diesel model.

I am really keen to get into exploring this great land on four wheels. I live in Sydney, and I am thinking the blue mountains would be a great place to start.

Can anyone offer any tips or advice on how to get into 4 wheel driving?

I've done offroad driving courses with the Australian Army - but would love to touch up my skills.

What is a good, low-risk but enjoyable trek to go on for a first time?

Thanks guys - I look forward to clocking up my own experience to share with you all!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:37

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:37
I'm in QLD, so can not help too much with trips in your area.
Best advice I can give is join a club. There are lots around and they generally cater for all levels of experience. Most conduct their own training and do several organised trips each month.

I did my initial driver training in the Army in the 70s. Great base, but nothing like learning and doing with others with similar (non military) vehicles, interests and recovery gear.

Plus, generally great people. D... Heads generally don't join clubs.

Good Luck, Norm C
AnswerID: 119548

Reply By: Member - Banjo The First (SA) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:39

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 13:39
I learned what little I know by going bush with some sensible people who had already been into it. Prior experience from others can save newcomers heaps of time, inconvenience and money. If that is not on, I think joining an off-road type club is the best way to go - with a few of those field trips out of the way, you'd be well clued up and be into solo travel where indicated. The club field trips are good I'm told, because the leader has done it prior in most cases - all the good places are known and catered for in their plan. Weather permitting, its just great to be out anywhere, at anytime in my book !
AnswerID: 119549

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:09

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 14:09
RD
I'd fuel it up and head NW (the Blue Mountains are a barrier, not a destination). I'd aim for Broken Hill, then up to Tibooburra and Cameron Corner. Maybe take in Lake Mungo, Mutwinji. Enjoy the small towns. Getting to know your own state, while gaining touring experience. A long weekend would do for a start. I'm not into clambering over steep or rough terrain just so I can use the difflocks, but some are. If thats your game then maybe there is somewhere closer to Sydney.
AnswerID: 119553

Reply By: Boc1971 - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 16:16

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 16:16
HI there , I live in the Blacltown Area and try to get up to Newnes state forest(lithgow) as much as possible for either 4x4 days or weekends with 2 - 5 other 4x4 mates. If your interested in maybe joining us then drop me an email to Frank@sydneypumps.com.au

wwe are actually hoping to go camping up there in the next few weekends also - our ages range from 25 to 40

Frank

p.s also have Motor x bikes that come along -
AnswerID: 119563

Reply By: WheelTravel - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 18:48

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 18:48
Hi RD, congrats on your new purchase!

There is a 4wd Treks close to Sydney book which has plenty of good tracks in different levels of difficulty. I think Ron And Viv Moon wrote it.

Beware though, as the bug is incurable. Next you'll want a BB, Side Bar, Dirving Lights. Gettting bogged will mean a winch, then difflocks, then a suspension lift.

May the force be with you!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 119577

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 20:44

Saturday, Jul 09, 2005 at 20:44
Join a club, find like minded people and learn where you can and cant go from them.
AnswerID: 119596

Reply By: hilux bert - Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:13

Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 at 21:13
where in sydney are you. clubs are the best way but if you wanna go NOW! then just head out there. go adventuring. i just spent a nice weekend in putty sf. nice area with easy driving but you need a 4by.
just go have fun.
joel
AnswerID: 119694

Follow Up By: Rodeo_Driver - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:18

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 06:18
I'm in the Ashfield area.

That's good advice! I figured the first thing I'd do was a nice drive up through a park in the mountains somewhere...

FollowupID: 374804

Follow Up By: lukasz - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:49

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 12:49
Hi Rodeo_Driver,

I will be in Croydon in a month time, so we can perhaps catch to some trip. I am new to Sydney area so I am happy to go anywhere!!!

Lukasz
FollowupID: 374838

Reply By: fatz - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:35

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 07:35
Hi Rodeo Driver, welcome to the wonderful world of 4 Wheel Driving. This site here has a Rodeo owners forum that may interest you http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php
They also have a Trip coming up in about three weeks time up to Newnes, near lithgow. Some people are camping and some are coming up for a day trip and some off roading. A good bunch who are happy to have a novice along and will point you in the right direction. You'd be most welcome to come along.

Mick
AnswerID: 119721

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:36

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 16:36
G'day Rodeo Driver,

as you can see in the picture, I also drive a Rodeo. I'm going to the Newnes get together that Fatz mentions.

Also agree with everyone else, join a club and get some training. VERY worthwhile. I've just done some training with the Jackaroo 4WD club and found the guys to be excellent. The course is run as per an accredited course by knowledge people. Give me an e-mail address if you want some details.

Cheers,

Smocky.
FollowupID: 374870

Follow Up By: Rodeo_Driver - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:10

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 18:10
Hey guys,

thanks for your response... I've found my way over to the australia4wd forum, very cool stuff.

I'll take a look at the details for the Newnes trip, and see what happens from there...

Cheers!
FollowupID: 374881

Sponsored Links