High Country & Tassie

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 19:51
ThreadID: 24728 Views:2262 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Troops, Travelors and Fellow Dream Merchants

Feb/March 2006

We are planning 1 week high country / 1 week around Foster (fishing etc with friends) and 4 weeks Tassie .. usual touristy bits + fishing/off road out of the way spots.

1. Must see spots in the high country .. Eric, your input if you please. Maybe sow the seed for an EO get together, but we are happy to go along with ideas in this aspect, as we have no knowledge of the area. Seems like a good idea though.

2. Foster .. will be most likely well catered for in this area but input welcomed.

3. Tassie .. any suggestions most welcome.

Over to you ....................

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:05

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:05
Gee talk about getting put under the pump lol. Considering that if you spent a month in the high country you would only see 4% were do I start .

Well since you will be doing the kms , I guess a soft trip is recomended not to do any unnecessary damadge to the vehicle . Ill map out something for you and send it off
AnswerID: 120404

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:11

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:11
Thanks cobber

I realise it's not enough time .. by a long shot. BUT look at the big picture, we can get back to the high country relatively easily .. Tassie is another matter. We are trying to fit in as much as poss in that regard.

Look forward to your valued input.

Cheers
FollowupID: 375462

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:20

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:20
Grab the huts of the high country map.. follow it from mansfield. that will get you all the huts, will take 2 days crusing.

Tassie - 4 weeks aint enough!
AnswerID: 120413

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:23

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:23
Mate

No matter wher you go ... it's never enough.

Just have to make the most of available time .. till I become a grey nomad.
FollowupID: 375465

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:47

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005 at 20:47
yea we did tassie yrs ago on the bike, we went west first.. was awesome
FollowupID: 375468

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:07

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:07
hey Truckster....old buddy :-)

Can ya see a huge suck up commin?

I'm interested in this huts of the high country book you mentioned, any idea where to find it, and who wrote it ?

I checked the shop section in here with no luck. I wouldnt mind heading back into the high country to do the hut trip...sounds good to me. Anything to spend another months in that place alone.
Ange.
FollowupID: 375526

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:19

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:19
The book is Huts of thw high country

Actually theres a map. I'll confirm the name of it tonight.

Bush huts of the high country or similar.

Try this

www.mapsdownunder.com.au and search for HUT :)

[ View Image]looks familiar, but then again I have about 40+ maps...

BP in Mansfield usually has the maps.
FollowupID: 375530

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:21

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 11:21
the try this link didnt work

http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-bin/mapshop/MM-124191.html
FollowupID: 375532

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 15:03

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 15:03
Thanks Truckster,
Checking them out as we speak mate.
Much appreciated.
Ange.
FollowupID: 375578

Reply By: Shawn - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:24

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:24
Rosco,
If you can get to the high country any time, think about extending your time in Tassie.
We did 4 weeks there at Xmas and it wasn't enough.
From Devonport to Stanley for 2 nights to walk the nut, have a look at convict ruins and convict era homested, drives and small walks to several water falls and to try and spot penguins.
Cradle Mountain 3 night stop for BIG and small walks and helicopter flight. Zeehan for 2 nights for Montazuma Falls, Ring River track, Sprey Tunnel and drives around the coastal area tracks and mountains.
Strahan 3 nights for ABT railway to Queenstown, Gordon River cruise, drives around area especially to Hells Gate.
Tarraleah for one night just to say we had stayed there.
New Norfolk for 2 nights to look around local area and Gordon Dam.
Dover for 2 nights to drive as far south as we could and to check out the numerous caves and tree top walk. (Thermal springs was very disappointing, IT IS now a swimming pool heated by spring fed warm water).
Nubeena for 2 nights for Eaglehawk Neck, Port Arthur (full day and night) do all the island tours and the ghost tour. Check out other not so well known convict ruins to the NW of the peninsular.
Hobart for 1 night, stayed with friends.
Richmond for 2 nights (BIG mistake, WORST van park I have ever stayed at) to look at Richmond Bridge, travel back into Hobart for Cascade Brewery tour (got hammered on '3' samples at the end of the tour, they give you a card at the end of the tour, you mark off the card with texta the drinks you have had. HINT - Rubs of very easily when still wet) and tour of Cadbury factory (Hint - take your own little back pack).
North via Ross (inland road). Ross is a very nice old town, good walks, great pub and great pies (would stay there if had the time).
Bicheno for 1 night for good walks and spotting penguins at night (Hint - don't pay for penguin tour, walk down to rocks at southern end of town and they will come in. Japanese tourist do scare them with there FLASHES. Penguins live in the bushes way up from the shore line and acroo the road in peolpes gardens, in the drains, they are every where).
Derby
AnswerID: 120489

Reply By: Shawn - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:30

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:30
Sorry, pressed the wrong button.
Launceston via Derby (check out the old historical village and devonshire teas great)
Launceston for 2-3 nights for travel to George town and over the
AnswerID: 120490

Follow Up By: Shawn - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:39

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:39
Bloody buttons.
Launceston via Derby (check out the old historical village and devonshire teas great)
Launceston for 2 nights for look around, travel to George town then over to the other side of the bay and to check ou the scenery to the south (great country club on the southern outskirts of town).
Sheffield for 2 nights to travel to Mole Creek National park (only NP I have seen that is under ground - excellent) and to check out all the murals around the town - great.
Devon port for one night for look around and get back on the ferry.

Only skimmed the east coast after Richmond, could easily have spent another week or two on the E & NE coast of Tassie.
Just our small trip, but would now love to see it under snow.
Cheers
Shawn
FollowupID: 375539

Reply By: Member - Andrew (Bris) - Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 17:15

Friday, Jul 15, 2005 at 17:15
Spent six weeks in Tassie last Christmas.

The whole place is a must see.

For ideas try our journal pages at http://users.on.net/~pancho/tassie_index.htm
AnswerID: 120514

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 15:17

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 15:17
Thanks one and all for your responses and tips.

Looks like a short taste of the high country is in order with more time spent in Tassie.

Regards
AnswerID: 120779

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 15:32

Sunday, Jul 17, 2005 at 15:32
Rosco as said Tassie is fabulous, get a hold of the Chris Boden book "4WD Tracks in Tasmania" a very good book.

Do the Montezuma Falls Track near Zeehan Only short about a two hour round trip plus lunch at the falls. Real good.

The Ring River is also good, be careful of the water depth, as you have to drive upstream against the current for about 50 meters to get to the opposite exit and the current build against the front of the truck.

I spent 3 weeks there at Christmas, could have spent 3 months, I will certainly return.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 375855

Sponsored Links