Conditions of National Park from Mel to Syd

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2479 Views:1808 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I want to do a trip from Melbourne to Sydney, following the coastline, in January, then push out through the Hunter Valley and beyond. The route and the “what to see list” is still in the planning stages at the moment.

I’m trying to do some of the planning whilst sitting here in London but, on the TV we are seeing horrific pictures of major bush fire around Sydney and through out NSW.

My questions are; how bad is it (can you trust the news?), are the parks along my proposed route open at the moment and are they likely to be open/safe in January or should I plan a trip along the south coast, heading West?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:00
Yeah well at least you'll get to see the famous black stump - or a lot just like it
AnswerID: 9066

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00
All up and down the coast are burning....

South down Nowra to bega, and Nth Gosford up to the border.

There wont be much to see I dont think, then again there wont be anything in the way of long views!
AnswerID: 9075

Reply By: dieselturbo - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

january is about the only time you will see the sun in victoria.there may be a little smoke haze but this just makes victorians feel good as the sun frightens them. you will be ok as there are ways around bushfires when roads are closed. you may have to wait awhile here and there but the highways are policed and you will be safe.bring your aa card and contact the racv for maps ,road conditions etc when you arrive in melb.in nsw the nrma have the same road services.before leaving melb take a day and head west to see the great ocean road and the 12 apostles,come back to geelong, cross the bay from queenscliffe to sorento on the ferry and then up to the highway.
AnswerID: 9083

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Hey we had sun the other day, I got burnt to a crisp.. We call that 1 day of sun in Melbourne SUMMER...... :P
FollowupID: 4544

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Glyn, have you got an e-mail address I can send you an e-mail with some alternative and better routes on.

Australia is a *LARGE* country and because some part may be burnt out, there is substantially more. Just remember the Blitisher Isles fits into Queensland 6¼ times!!!
AnswerID: 9087

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:00

Glyn.. what will you be driving ? If you haven't a 4wd you wont want to go too far off the black top.. the country isn't really burning up completely, but while many bush- fires are under way there is a hell of a lot of country between Melbourne and Sydney and you can go on dirt roads providing you have the correct unit !! (Bush fires sell papers, and make great photos in dull ould England on the TV at this time of the year) The weather will be around 30c much of the time except for Melbourne which has an unique eco- sytem..... a bit like York !!! cops it all the time ... Let us know how you are travelling and maybe we can help a bit further..will you be camping/ motels, etc..? This is High Season and BUSY around the coast !!
AnswerID: 9097

Follow Up By: Glyn - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
Steve,

We will be in a Range Rover HSE, as per the factory spec. I'm not planning on any panel beating driving as it's only two years old. I've got a spare set of wheels and tyres for it fitted with off road tyres, so I'm happy to go playing on rough dirt roads but nothing that's true hardcore off roading, as it's going to be my town car.

I'm going hunting for a Cruiser or Patrol come March and join a club. The plan is to see what kit everyone is using and then start the mods on my new toy.

We will be camping out and looking for some good fishing, both beach and river.

Based on the feedback and the road reports on ExploreOz, I'm thinking about heading along the Great Ocean Road and then along to Perth.

Thanks for any feedback.

Glyn
FollowupID: 4572

Sponsored Links