birdsville track????

Submitted: Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:13
ThreadID: 24825 Views:1774 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
hey there, just wondering if anyone could tell me if they have travelled on the birdsville track recently and how rough is it...and good places to camp and have a look at. cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 13:06

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 13:06
Gidday Maroni

The BV track isn't too bad at the moment. A little cut up in places with some water lying around. When are you planning on travelling ? Best to post just prior to departure for up to the minute report.

As far as camping goes, Clayton wetlands is nice with a fairly new open air spa available. Can't miss Mungerannie; they also have a spa, a pub and warm hospitality. Further up the track there are also some nice camps. Around Clifton Hills there are numerous creek beds that make excellent camps.

I recommend you check out the Birdsville track trek notes available on this website under "Trip Planning" at the top of this page.

Happy & Safe Travels

Karsten
AnswerID: 120915

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:29

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 15:29
HI Karsten

Sorry we missed to you before we left. Called in on the Sunday evening but was your day off. You get days off? And Monday morning we were too early. Never mind. Thanks for the great service and great meals.

Cheers

Willem and Judith
FollowupID: 375992

Follow Up By: Karsten from Big Red Cafe - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:31

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 11:31
Gidday Willem & Judith

I'm really sorry I missed you too. Jackie mentioned you popped in. When is a day off not a day off.....When you have two littlies, accounts and the rest. Jackie and I share the duties.

I'm hoping to sort Wolfie out with your Peterborough Art Show. Be sure to post the details. Maybe we'll be able to pop down too. We'll send a shot of the gibber mosaic project when completed. Glad you had an opportunity to join in.

It was a real pleasure having you guys in town. It was such a strange couple of weeks with all the weather related issues....Just wish we could have found more time to spend "out". Oh, well, can't have everything.

Glad you made it back safely and enjoyed reading your trip report(s).

All the Best

Karsten
FollowupID: 376149

Reply By: maroni - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 14:52

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 14:52
thankyou so much for th information, i will keep on eye on the trek note and we are planning to leave w.a next tuesday.
cheers and thanks
AnswerID: 120931

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 18:51

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 18:51
Aha!Aha!Aha!

Passed a car at Mungerannie which was stopped at the Traffic Light, facing north, waiting for it to turn green.......

Ya just gotta love Aussie humour!!!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 120976

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:04

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:04
You are kidding?

FollowupID: 376042

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jul 19, 2005 at 22:01
'tis true Willem,

The vehicle was nicely placed over to the left hand side, but still on the track. We, (3 vehicle convoy) passed him/her on the right hand side and turned into the 'oasis'.

Never did find out how long they stayed there, but we were still chuckling about it in the Bar.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 376255

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:09

Monday, Jul 18, 2005 at 19:09
Came along the BT last Monday. First 100km from Birdsville was a bit rutted but there is a definitive wheeltrack that everyone is using. After that there were about 100 wet water crossings and MUD! Water should have run down quite a bit when you go that way. Should be able to do Maree to Birdsville in about 7 hours if you are in a hurry. it is 520km. Camping sites are as Karsten has mentioned. Take a spa bath at Claytons Bore
AnswerID: 120982

Sponsored Links