Eyre Peninsula - Travel Advice Requested

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 18:24
ThreadID: 29575 Views:1435 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.

My wife and I are taking a leisurely (read = no time limits) drive Sydney to Perth and we thought taking a run through the along the way Eyre Peninsula could be interesting.

I have managed to gather up some info off the net, but thought I would ask here from those that have been there for their advice, recommendations, "must see", "don't do's" etc.

I am not a committed fisherman, but don't mind throwing in a line on occasions.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett_B - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:23

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:23
Hi Jack

I just returned from a 4 week trip along the Eyre Peninsula today, we had a fantastic time.

Highlights for us, Coffin Bay National Park, Port Lincoln National Park, Streaky Bay and surrounding area, also enjoyed Whyalla believe it or not, had a tour of the boat at the maritime museum there, not bad.

I am no fisherman either but dropped in a line with my son from time to time, some guys are pulling some mean fish from the beach.

My wife is somewhat nerves around the natives, felt a little uneasy myself in Port Augusta and Ceduna but had no trouble at all, all other areas were fine. If staying in Ceduna overnight try the caravan park opposite the racecourse, its about 3 klm from town, no barbed wire fences or gates needed around this park.

If your heading for Perth and have no time issues you would be mad to miss this area.

The South Australians have some great area over there.

Enjoy your trip

Brett

(Gippsland - Vic)

AnswerID: 147890

Reply By: Fab - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:28

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:28
Hi Jack,
The maratime museum in Whyalla is worth a look too. You can't miss it, it's on the side of the road as you come into town. Just look for the ex Navy ship landlocked about 2km from the nearest water!
Port Lincoln is very scenic too and has plenty of 4X4 allowed sand dunes close to town, nothing too hard though.
Why not get off Highway one near Adelaide and head through the Clare Valley, through the southern Flinders Ranges to take in towns such as Melrose, Willmington, Quorn etc. Lots of history. Very scenic although adds considerable distance/time to your trip.
Wadlatta Outback centre (museum type thing) at Port Augusta is worth a gander too.
I was born and raised on the Eyre Pen. so if you want more info about specific sites, drop me a line at fabandsonja at lizzy dot com dot au. You should be able to deciffer that!
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 147996

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:55

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 16:55
Hi Fab:

Thanks for the email address. We are both now going through all this info and getting abit of planning done. Shall drop you a line shortly as we would quite like to bush camp a bit along the way. We will have a couple of caravan park stops, but will head bush as much as we can.

On this basis a little local knowledge will be helpful for nice sites. We are totally self contained (tents, loos, showers, cooking etc etc ...), so can pull up anywhere.

Thanks again.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 401346

Reply By: Ali L - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:41

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 17:41
I agree with all the sugestions ie Coffin Bay, the Flinders Ranges, the Wadlata Visitors Centre in Port Augusta and Maritme Museum in Whyalla. Also if you have a 4wd travel a little further north and check out the area around Lake Gairdner /Gawler Ranges - no fish tho!
Save your fishing to the Esperance area of WA
Cheers and enjoy it's all great

ali
AnswerID: 148093

Sponsored Links