Mt Remarkable National Park - Feedback, please

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:25
ThreadID: 30309 Views:3229 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi:

En route to Perth via Broken Hill, Eyre Peninsula my wife and I are looking at a short stopover at Mt Remarkable National Park.

I would like to get some feedback from those who know the area/park as to what it is like. "On paper" it seems like a good stopping point for a day or two, and I have the National Parks stuff, but would appreciate the input of fellow travellers.

Many thanks

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rocky & Bullwinkle - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:17

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:17
Hi Jack,
In October we checked out and thoroughly enjoyed Mt Remarkable National Park on the way back from the Flinders Ranges. They had had quite alot of rain not long before we visited so the creeks were flowing and the wildflowers were a picture too. We did a couple of the walks (the Terraces and the Narrows) which are worth doing.
We stayed at the Melrose Caravan Park which is one of the best we have come across and a walk around the town itself is worthwhile.
We hope to get back that way sometime soon.
Safe travels
Bullwinkle (Pam)
AnswerID: 152238

Reply By: PandJ - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:42

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 10:42
Hi Jack,
I suggest you stay at the Willmington or Melrose C/van parks as you can also visit a few other attractions in the area. It's a great spot and you will enjoy it.
AnswerID: 152247

Reply By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:18

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:18
Jack,
Have camped at mt Remarkable many times. There is a nice, peaceful camp ground at Mambray creek not far from the creek bed, and under plenty of shade. Kangaroos and a few Emu's call the area home (they don't pester you). It's fairly open so you don't get a lot of privacy, but much better than a caravan park.

Several excellent bush walks start from the camp ground. Some others start from the Melrose area. The most spectacular is Alligator gorge. There isn't a road going through the park but it's only 1/2 hour or so from Mambray to Melrose if you want to visit the town.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 152258

Reply By: Michael B - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:44

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:44
Afternoon Jack,

Try again, other reply disappeared into the ether!!

Our family lived in Melrose for many years, it is truly a beautiful place.

The Melrose caravan park is very nice, you should be able to camp over the creek and whilst it would be a tad dry this time of the year you are camped right at the base of Mount Remarkable.

Plenty of walking trails and access to the Heysen trail if you are keen.

Have a stroll around town, not big but some interesting sights.

Visit 'Blueys Blacksmith' shop and have glimpse into the past, you can also get 'tea and scones' (if thats your style), or have lunch in the small, but well maintained park next door....all facilities.

Two pubs in town, both with good and bad points.....have heard that meal prices have gone up a tad..might pay to check.

It is but a short drive to Wilmington and Alligators Gorge, not suitable for towing caravan tho'

Views from that area are great and if you descend into the gorge the steps you will be using were put there by my father many years ago.

Go and enjoy and if there is any more info I can give you, please let me know.

Regards
Michael B(SA)
AnswerID: 152268

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:18

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:18
Thank you Michael.

That Heysen Trail ... is that the same trail that I noticed when I was staying at Wilpena Pound a couple of years back. What I am trying to ask is .. is it the one trail going from there down to Wilpena (or further)?

We may end up camping in the NP itself. We are self sufficient and self contained, and not towing anything. Mind you, roof clearance could be a bit "iffy" in some places.

The gorge sounds too good to pass up, so in doing that, we will give a thought to your father. That will be on the way down, because climbing back up creates certain other thoughts like "are we there yet" ... "whose idea was this" ... etc etc .... : )

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Jack

FollowupID: 405924

Follow Up By: Michael B - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:30

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:30
Jack,

Do a quick 'google', the trail is 1200km long, but I don't expect you will do all. LOL
.......if u do then for sure it will be "are we there yet????"

Michael
FollowupID: 405928

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:08

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:08
Hi there Jack,

The park is great for it's rugged beauty and the walks are not too strenuous but good mix of interest. Lots of wildlife as mentioned by other.

Alligator gorge walk goes from one side to the other - does require someone to leave a vehicle around one end of it if you are doing it one way (as most are), but it is a good walk.

Similarly there is an escarpment track - I don't think it's entirely well marked but it has great views over the escarpment to the gulf.

I for one love Mambray Creek - particularly when there is water there (which is mostly).

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 152312

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:35

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:35
Hi Andrew,

I don't want to start an argument but I did the Alligator Groge walk on the June long weekend last year and did a loop. Started at the car park and went down the western side into the gorge. We then followed the gorge down to an obvious exit point with a track that leads back up to the car park. It was reasonably well sigposted and took us, a mixed group of old, not so old and very young about 1.5 hours.

I guess as you say people do do it as a one way thing but everyone we saw was doing the loop. Just thought it was worth pointing out that the loop is easy.

Duncs
FollowupID: 406365

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:05

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:05
Hiya Duncs,

I'm not clear if you're talking the same loop.

For one thing the walkt through the gorge is a whole day's work.

For another, the loop I speak of is at the Mambray Creek end and is more like 5 or 6 hours as I recall and comes right up over the top of the escarpment then back down to Mambray - but the track is not very clearly defined.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 406383

Follow Up By: Squizzy - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:18

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:18
Andrew,

You are correct, the loop walk from the camp ground in Mambray Creek is a good days walk if you aren't in a rush.
It leaves the camp ground and goes up over the Bluff, then along the Battery (escarpment), from the Batterry you go down through Hidden Gorge and then join the track from Alligator Gorge back to the camp grounds.

It is a very enjoyable walk and has great views over Spencer Gulf from the escarpment.

Geoff
FollowupID: 406385

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:43

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:43
Hi Geoff,

Funny, but I've always walked it the other way!

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 406397

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:38

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:38
Hi Andrew,

It is obviously different walks we are talking about.

I did not take a lot of notice of exactly where we accessed the park, I was a passenger on a bus.

I remember turning off the main road, to the south, before decending Horrick's Pass (sp) and winding up a long narrow road to a car park near the top of one of the lower hills. We started and finished the walk there.

Duncs
FollowupID: 406433

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 16:34

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 16:34
Hi Duncs,

I would say you were walking around at the Wilmington side of the park.

You got it right - although I think it is Horrock's pass which is itself quite nice.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 406511

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:36

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:36
If you camp at Mambray Creek, see if you can talk the rangers into letting you camp at the "school camp" next to the main camp ground - you pitch your tent on wood chips instead of gravel. We love the area. Early morning or late afternoon walks are special with all the wild life around. The Alligator Gorge to Mambray Creek took us about 6 hours but was well worth it.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 152317

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:36

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:36
Sounds like a good tip, Pete .. thanks for that. I will give it a try.

Jack

FollowupID: 406031

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:37

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:37
Thank you all for the excellent feedback. I am ow as eager as ever to get there.

Jack

AnswerID: 152343

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:24

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 19:24
Hiya Jack,

There is a great fact sheet from the Department of Environment and Heritage on Mt. Remarkable National Park that I picked up today when meeting with their tour operator people arranging for them to fleece me of next year's profits before I've earned them.

There are now more walks in the park than you can poke a stick at!

The walk someone on this thread was speaking of is the Alligator Gorge Ring Route Hike which is 9 km, 4 hours return from the Wilmington end.

The Hike I was thinking of is called the Hidden Gorge Hike which is listed as 18 km, 7 hours return.

The Mambray Creek to Alligator Gorge Hike is 13 km one way, 5 hours one way - you can do it as a return trip and follow a somewhat different track on the return along the Battery Ridge Track.

Then there is the Black Range Trek (terminology for the challenging and demanding walk) - 48 km return, 2 days return.

There are other shorter walks too.

Strongly recommend you call the Information line on 08 8204 1910 and ask for a copy to be sent to you or www.parks.sa.gov.au (although I couldn't find it all online.)

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 153418

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:48

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 20:48
Hi Andrew:

Thanks for that .. I shall chase it up.

I think I will skip the 48km / 2 day walk, but many of the others sound great. I really think I am going to enjoy this part of the trip.

Much appreciated. thanks again.

Jack

FollowupID: 407371

Sponsored Links