Channel Country

Submitted: Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 09:33
ThreadID: 30724 Views:1618 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am wanting to do a trip fro Innaminka or Birdsville through the channel country to Charleville. I will be towing an off road trailer. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect. Direcions, roards conditions, special gear etc.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:43

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 12:43
wato35,
Good place to camp on the banks of Cooper Ck, east of Windorah. Lot of dirt should be ok with the trailer. Done it last year with a semi off roader from Winton - Old Cork - Boulia - Bedourie - Birdsville - Charleville. (Apart from one spring coming loose).
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 154704

Reply By: DesC - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:18

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 18:18
pretty rocky between Innaminka and Cordillo Downs, but it is fairly cruisey.
AnswerID: 154739

Reply By: kesh - Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:18

Monday, Feb 13, 2006 at 21:18
Wato. If you want to do a nice channel country tour, starting at Birdsville, travel down to Innamincka via Cordillo Downs, across and look at the dig tree than head north up past Lake Pure, Arrabury, Planet Downs then onto Windorah.
50 km. from Windorah you come to a cross roads. L goes to Retreat/Jundah (good fishing) R goes to Tenham/Keeroongooloo. Follow this road, about 50km.down to the homestead where it turns left, then another 70 or so to a main road junction. Go left about 2k. to the Kyabra waterholes (magnificent with good fishing) or right to Eromanga where you must stop and have a beer with Ash and Ana at the old Royal hotel. Just as a hint, leave ALL gates as you find them. When camping, just leave the spot as you found it. (out there, usually pretty tidy!)
From here its 90km to Quilpie (Lake Houdraman good camp) then 210km. to Charleville. The roads/tracks are all reasonable for this region, just dont be in a rush (and you will see more) If you get the chance, always have the most recent news paper with you, its a good way to introduce yourself to a local!
From there its up to you, but you will have at least seen the channel country
kesh
AnswerID: 154779

Sponsored Links