Gibb River Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 07:48
ThreadID: 30764 Views:2085 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everybody,

The last week of April and the first two weeks of May I will be visiting the Kimberley's. Due to my work here in the Netherlands I am unfortunate not very flexible on these dates. I checked out various sites on the feasability to travel the Gibb River Road in this period (per 4wd). I noticed however that the information is very mixed, it varied between 'from april on it should be fine' to 'before june you should not try this trip'.

I am therefore curious if any of you guys ever did this trip in this period. Let me know about your experiences. All information is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
EKO
the Netherlands
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 08:33

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 08:33
Hi EKO,

"Depends" is the operative word in this case.

http://www.drysdaleriver.com.au/ is a very good URL to have a look at as the nice people there explain the situation well.

From my own experience.. yes, I have crossed the Penetecost River at the end of April. Had to wait a week first (we were there around the 25th of April at the time) and so we were one of the first across

The next difficulty we came across was a slightly large hole in the road. Washout ! Could have parked a truck in it !

So yes, it does really depend on the wet season and when it ends and when the rivers are low enough.

But my advice would be to read the inforamion on the Drysdale Station webpage and perhaps phone them and ask.

Hope it helps
AnswerID: 154846

Reply By: Squizzy - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:08

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:08
EKO,

As Peter has said, it depends on the season.
We did the GRR last April, and it had only just opened after damage from Cyclone Ingrid.
The Pentecoste River was a delight to see with a full width of water, and rocky bottom.
The road itself was variable in smooth to rough, but not extreme.
The weather was quite humid and hot.
But the scenery was worth it.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 154871

Reply By: Alan H - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:12

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 14:12
Hi EKO.
The cook (wife) and I did the GRR in June last year and the Pentecost was only about 150mm deep but the Western end including the Tunnel Creek, Windjana Gorge road was closed due to unseasonal weather.
Definitely try to get to Drysdale River Station (rough road but nice bar and showers etc), Bell Gorge (great for swimming and good camp sites) and Home Valley station which is good for fishing in the Pentecost (watch for crocs here).
You could also drive the Old Karunji Road (just before/past the Pentecost depending on travel direction) through to Diggers Rest station which also does accommodation, then the King River road through to Wyndham. Great drive and very scenic.
From Wyndham the back road to Ivanhoe Crossing at Kunnunurra is a good drive with some beautiful camp sites beside the Ord River but again crocs are around this area.
Have a good trip.
Alan.
AnswerID: 154902

Reply By: Spinifex - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:14

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2006 at 20:14
This is like saying;

"I am going to the north pole but unfortunately I only have sandals and a T shirt"

If you want to risk the conditions of a late monsoon then please don't complain if you get stuck behind a river somewhere.

You may be lucky or you may be unlucky.

Apparently there has been a lot of rain this monsoon(wet season).
AnswerID: 154981

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04

Wednesday, Feb 15, 2006 at 23:04
EKO keep this URL to check up on Rd conditions
Road conditions
AnswerID: 155257

Follow Up By: EKO - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:17

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:17
Hi Rox,

I checked this URL and noticed differences compared to information on this site (Exploroz). On Exploroz all roads and side roads are marked red (thus closed) while on the URL mentioned by you 'only' the stretch between Mt Barnett and Pentecost River is closed to ALL traffic. The other stretches are closed to traffic over 3 tonnes. Can you maybe give me an explanation of this differences?

Thanks,
EKO
FollowupID: 409887

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 15:47

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 15:47
When road conditions are improving I've usually found the ExpolorOz site to not be as up to date as the other state bsed sites, also found that the state based sites may sometimes be a day or so behind whats happening on the ground. (ie actual signage on the roads)
cya
Graham
FollowupID: 409994

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 18:53

Monday, Feb 20, 2006 at 18:53
EKO , i get this info From Roy W3 who gets it from alot of Comunities around WA this is what we use for road conditions on VKS737.
FollowupID: 410070

Reply By: EKO - Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:14

Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:14
Thanks already for all the information. It is clear that I need some patience to see how weather and road conditions will develop.

Because my ticket (leaving from Darwin mid-may) and 4wd rental (pick-up in Broome) are booked I welcome every tip and advise for some other good sights somewhere between Broome and Darwin. This in case the Gibb River Road is still closed the moment I arrive. The guide books will ofcourse direct me to known sights like Kakadu, Litchfield, Bungle Bungles but are there maybe other, less known, sights which are worthwile a visit?

Thanks again,
EKO
the Netherlands
AnswerID: 155288

Sponsored Links