Oxley Wild River NP NSW

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 20:17
ThreadID: 31302 Views:2234 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are looking at heading up in this direction over Easter. Never having been up there before, can someone give some first hand info? There will be 4 vehicles, possibly one camper trailer (off rd). Looking for advice on campsite, tracks, things to see and do (also any pitfalls!).

Thanks,

Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim M - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 21:14

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 21:14
I haven't been there myself yet but intend to in the next 18 months.
I have heard that Apsley Falls is quite good. This is near Walcha. The National Parks website is good as it shows and describes all camp areas and has tips on "things to do". Hope this helps.
Regards
Tim
AnswerID: 157931

Follow Up By: michael42 - Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:10

Wednesday, Mar 01, 2006 at 22:10
Thanks Tim.

We have been through the NP website, and have found that sometimes their info is not quite up to date (eg toilet facilities had been removed from one of their campsites last we stayed at last weekend...lol)
FollowupID: 412284

Reply By: cruiser - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:31

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:31
The Oxley Wild Rivers National Park is a HUGE area.

It depends on where you are coming from as to where you are likely to end up camping.

There are NO roads that cross this park, so it means that if you wish to visit different area, you have to travel around the fringes of the park and there is no one road that travels the fringes.

There are plenty of camping areas, and as I said, depending on where you are coming from, will depend on where you go.

Basically, there is Walcha area, Wollomombi Falls, Ebor, Dorrigo, Georges Junction on Armidale/Kempsey Road, Carrai Plateau west of Kempsey, Mooraback on western side of Werrikimbee National Park.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 158039

Reply By: Member - Silverfox (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:47

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 12:47
Last winter I stayed at the Aspley Falls camping area. It had new toilet blocs and large individual parking areas with their own primative b b qs. The gorge is spectacular. Tourist info seems best obtained from local info offices. e.g.contact Walcha. There was a good brochure from N.P. with all the entrances and camping areas on it. I think I got it with many other good brochures when I rang Armidale Tourist office. ( I have a photo of my rig at Aspley Falls on my site.) Enjoy.
AnswerID: 158072

Reply By: Peter - Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:05

Thursday, Mar 02, 2006 at 22:05
Nice camping spots but watch out for leeches, especially if you're taking kids with you. We camped right on the river, track in gets very slippery after rain.
AnswerID: 158199

Reply By: 3F62 - Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:48

Saturday, Mar 04, 2006 at 20:48
"West Kunderang" is one of the best spots in this area, swim,fish (bass). Lots of R&R potential.(small tariff) Ring Booths camping shop in Armidale for details OR for a free spot try the bottom of the "Big Hil" on the Armidale to Kempsey Rd, both these spots on the top of the Macleay river.

Enjoy !!
AnswerID: 158619

Sponsored Links