Lake Argyle Tourist Village

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 15:59
ThreadID: 31436 Views:4104 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I was considering staying two nights at Lake Argyle Tourist Village in July, and I am after updated info on the conditions of it. I have read the reports on Badgers Caravan website that were not favourable, but that was in 2003. Is it worth me staying there or am I better off extending my time in Kunnunurra and just doing a day trip out there. I have been there before, in 1994 so I have seen all the sites.

I was also considering the morning cruise at the Lake (cheapest one and the only one I would do) but now I am reconsidering. Has anyone taken this tour, and is it worthwhile?

Cheers

Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jenmcd - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:09

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:09
Hey Glenn

Personally I would extend my stay in Kunnunurra and do the day trip. We were there last June and it didnt look much, needs a good overhaul, in fact it didnt really look like a "tourist village" at all, although we only stopped there on the bus/river tour(triple J's fantastic cruise and great afternoon tea, although I see you are doing a morning cruise). The Lake is amazing, blew me away the size of it, but there is not much else out there for you to do, I stand corrected if need be!.

Just my opinion!! Bet you are getting excited hey! James will have a ball too, our kids certainly did!

Jen
AnswerID: 158714

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:20

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:20
Hi Jen,

Yes I am getting very itchy feet, as is James. He asked me yesterday why I can't speed time up and then slow it down so that the time will fly until we leave, and take a long time when we are travelling...hahahaha

Thanks for your thoughts. From memory I didn't enjoy the Tourist Village much last time, so I have just sent off enquiry to extend my stay in Kunnunurra.

I think that unless you like fishing, there is not much to do at the Lake besides a cruise, look at the overflow and also the moved and restored Durack Homestead. If you went there, was the bower bird and nest still there in the garden? The size and colours of the Lake are mind blowing and a truly beautiful place.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413214

Follow Up By: KimPrado - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:43

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 20:43
Hi,

Sorry to put a negative aspect on this, but I've taken a long term view that the Durack homestead wasn't "moved and restored".

The original homestead was unindated and only a few bricks have been used in it's recreation.

Howard Young is an old time contractor out of Kununurra who recently wrote to Outback magazine supporting this view. Have a look.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 413477

Reply By: Jenmcd - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:26

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:26
I loved the Durack homestead, but I can not remember seeing the bower bird & nest. It was such a lovely oasis out there, I loved just standing under the veranda and imagining the stories of days gone by. Ahhh, I think I should suggest to Andrew I need a return visit/Kimberley Fix!!!

Jen
AnswerID: 158718

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:28

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 16:28
Just pack up, hook up and hit the road with James and I in July...hahahaha.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413217

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:26

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:26
goodday glenn
we were up there 2 yrs ago we stayed about 3 hrs had a sleep ,left the van there while went to the old homestead, came back packed up and bleep off "swimming pool was about 300m away "behind the pub was pretty dusty unlike the blurb
if i was to do it again i would catchthe boat and bus tour for the day from kunnanurra we stayed at the Kona tourist park in kunnaunurra busy but plenty of shade

steve
ps the old durack homestead was worth a look
AnswerID: 158734

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:49

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 17:49
Hi Steve,

I think the general opinion is similar to yours. I have just had confirmation from Kunnunurra that my stay has been extended, so I am happy. I will do a day trip out to the Lake and Keep River NP and leave it at that.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413232

Reply By: Lyds- Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:58

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:58
we stopped there as an overnighter before going on to Kununurra. It wasn't much, but it wasn't bad. We took the sunset cruise with stop off on Zebra rock island (great for the kids); the sunset was sensational.
AnswerID: 158799

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:11
Hi Lyds,

I can well imagine (although I cannot recall) how the sunset would be sensational. With the colours of the rocks and water it would be breathtaking.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413453

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:59

Sunday, Mar 05, 2006 at 21:59
Hi Glenn
We will be there in May on our way to Broome and when we get back I will post a report.
I want to spend some time there (Argyle) because when I was last there some 26 years ago, we went for a bit of a hike up this hill out behind where the old homestead used to be and came across a long forgotten grave that I since found out was the grave of one of the teamsters that travelled there with the original Duracks and I read about him in the book "Kings In Grass Castles"
I cleared the long grass around the grave and took a photo and now I wish to revisit the area to see if I can relocate it.
I doubt very much that anyone else is aware of this gravesite as it was in a remote area that we just happened to stumble across
It will be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack after all this time but I will give it a go anyway
Have a great trip in July
Cheers Poppy

AnswerID: 158800

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:13

Monday, Mar 06, 2006 at 19:13
Hi Poppy,

What a magnificent series by Mary Durack. It sounds like it will be a miracle if you find the grave site again. If you do, and access is still allowed in the area, don't forget to get the waypoint.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 413455

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 15:30

Tuesday, Mar 07, 2006 at 15:30
Hi Di and I did the full day tour last July and it was the best value of any description I've had for years! The chap that tookus lived there all his life and has been doing the tour thing for a long long time. We took a coach (with seat belts would you believe!) out to the lake from K and then out in a flat bottomed (I think) boat round the lake. Fed crocodiles (was nearly pushed over board by some crazy woman wanting to take a photo from I was standing - rude's not the word for it!!) and when we went ashore had a tour of the family home. After lunch the high speed boat took us all the way back to K on the River - it was a superb day. The only small crtisicism was that it was too long! The chap waits for the sunset so you can take reflection photos in of the river.

Let me know if you want the name of the people - I've got it at home.
AnswerID: 159105

Sponsored Links