EL falcon Tambo CT

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:06
ThreadID: 31592 Views:1871 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a Tambo Cooper CT and plan on towing with the EL wagon for the time being.

If anyone has towed one of these campers with a sedan I would like some advice on treg. hitch height, electric brake controller, dual battery setup (for Engle 40L and aux. battery in trailer for lights), agm or wet cell, or sould I just buy a new tow vehicle setup for the job?

I have search forum and now need more specific advice.

Thanks BeeMad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:23

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:23
If yours is runs hot when towing or when driving normally Do this to the cooling system as these have a habit of running hot, more so when towing

I Cut this bit out of a old post I made..
I suggest you completely flush the system (Even get a shop to rod the radiator out), replace the thermostat with a 77degree aftermarket one and run red line Water Wetter and distilled water with a 20% mix of Ford coolant. We did this on my brothers EL and it made a big difference, He has Extractors, Intake, and Upgraded Cam as well. Also if you don’t have an Axillary Auto transmission cooler get one put in.

when the temp gage is hitting the O mark that is around about 105degrees.

You may also want to fit a Radiator filter, completely optional but.
AnswerID: 159585

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:40

Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 at 21:40
Looking at the Tambo web site, the Cooper unloaded weight is 530kg.
The specifications don't list brakes as standard so why are you seeking advice on an electric brake controller?

A camper of this weight would only require mechanically operated brakes if any fitted at all. Hydraulically assisted through the hitch coupling.

The chances of buying a new vehicle "set up for the job" would be slim.
Dual battery systems (primary and auxiliary) are not standard on new vehicles, so you would still need to retrofit it.
Perhaps you could consider a portable battery system, although if tow vehicle is to be the falcon, then maybe an AGM battery installed in the camper (where the fridge most likely will be) would be a better proposition.
This would need the inclusion of a charging device, such as the Arrid Twin Charge or similar and a suitable heavy duty cable run from your primary battery source.

There is a fair bit of information if you search the forum, or talk to an auto electrician on what you wish to achieve.

Cannot be more specific unless you are more definitive on your exact plans.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 159593

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:01

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:01
Hi BeeMad,

I too own a Tambo and love it. I have towed it once behind my VY crapadore and won't do it again. It was empty when I towed it as I was only getting it registered, but without a brake controller in the car, I could definately feel the camper behind me. It gave the brakes on the VY a work out too. I also found that I had to park on a rediculous angle to attach and disconnect the camper (treg). I am not sure if you can buy a height adjuster for it, but if you can, I would get one.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 159676

Reply By: bruce - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:41

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:41
Blimy..I tow a 1800kg loaded dual axle poptop van behind our ef wagon without any hassles whatsoever...surely you should not have any trouble with that little bit of weight behind you , especially if you set it up properly...cheers
AnswerID: 159694

Sponsored Links