Murray Darling Trip

Submitted: Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:34
ThreadID: 31604 Views:2025 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'm in the process of putting a trip together for later in the year.
It basically goes; Sydney-Dubbo-Bourke-Darling River Run-Wentworth-follow Murray River to Albury-Jindabine-Tathra-Jervis Bay-Sydney.
Planning for 8 weeks but allowing 10 mostly bush camping.
There will be 4 adults, 4 kids, and a couple of dogs.
What I'm after is any thing people recommend seeing, good camp sites, feul(diesel) stops, tourist info centres, etc, etc.
Also any oziexplorer or Disc.Aus files and waypoints, especially along the Darling and Murray rivers.
Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Laura B - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:51

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 09:51
Mayso,

Jervis Bay - beautiful!!! I live about 30min away and may i suggest you go to the nataional park bit of J'B....its 3 times the size if sydney harbour and there are many entrance points.

From Nowra turn off the Hwy and head towards Greenwell point but turn right at the Big red old shed and this will take you to Culburra,Callala Bay and Beach , point perpendicular, Currarong...(has a beautiful rock pool!!) Point perp si also a must to go to - great view of part of J'B

If you go straight ahead and go to Greenwell point which is only 10 - 15min from hwy they have the best chips and the spot at the reserve on the right.

If you head south on the Princes Hwy 10km from south Nowra there is a major intersection with Jervis Bay Road off the the east (Left if heading south). Here you have so many options!

Husskison and Vincentia are great little towns that are just scrumptious to visit!! and you can easily access both with out going back to the main road. (Lady Denman Museum at Huski ) -there is also good camping grounds in Huski close to beach. (Greenfields beach is a must to visit )

Within the N'P there are umpteen places to go and after living here for over 18 yrs I still havent been to all of them!

Camping - Honeymoon Bay and Green Patch are the faves and Im pretty sure dogs are ok. Wreck Bay is great too....boat wreck..also an Aboriginal Tribal area. Plenty to go and see with the kids and dogs.

Tarthra is beautiful country - my friend owns a farm down there!!

The local information center is on the hwy on the east 20mt south of Shoalhaven River Bridge.

Better not give too many secrets away or the locals will hate me!!

I work at South Nowra Caltex and we have a map of J'B up near the toilets and its good to get a big picture of how big it really is!!

Good luck,hope this helps!!!

Laura B

AnswerID: 159667

Follow Up By: Mayso - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:27

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 10:27
Thanks for that, used to spend alot of time at JB, camping at greenpatch, surfing at caves beach, and fishing the tubes.
Love the place, thats why we are stopping there.
Thanks alot Laura.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 414293

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:38

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:38
Mayso,

There was a post about the Darling River Trtip just a coupleof weeks ago. If you do a search you should find it.

There was lots of good info put up there.

I recommend you contact the Broken Hill Visitor Information Centre 1800 830 008.

They should be ale to give you an information pack that has most of what you need to know, including contacts for farm stays and bush cmping. I recommend Killara and Trilby is also supposed to be good but I have not been there. Plan to be in Louth for sunset. I listed why on the previous post.

I am not sure how much time you will be spending on the Darling but about 10 days is normal to get from Bourke to Wentworth. If you have more than that you could also visit places like Reola Stn, to see the Big Shed. Get the contact number from BH Visitor Info.

Also the National Parks are all worth a look. As is Broken Hill but. It is 110km from the river and warrants at least a couple of days. If you can't afford the time to have a good look save it for another trip.

I gather from you starting point that you are based close to Sydney, if so sopend more time in the outback, it's a long way from home and you won't head out this way very often so make the most of it. JB is also beautiful but it is just down the road from Sydney
AnswerID: 159679

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:19

Friday, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:19
You can download oziexplorer track files for both the murray and darling runs from the digital mapping data section on this site, you may have to buy some points or become a member or something though..not sure.
AnswerID: 159688

Sponsored Links