Fuel Availability Anne Beadell Hwy

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:04
ThreadID: 32184 Views:3407 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Forum
I am planning for a trip across the Anne Beadell Highway from the Coober Pedy end through to the Great Central Road and my mate tells me that the last time he travelled the Connie Sue Hwy at the intersection of Anne Beadell Highway there was a fuel supply available. The last time I was out there, there was nothing at all and I would like to seek confirmation as to whether any fuel is available at that intersection. Can anyone from the Forum help. Complements to the Captain, I enjoy the information from the Captain, Roachie, Bazza, etc, etc about their Nissans. I am just about to turn the 100,000kms over on my 3.0 litre but I tell you what I pull the oil filters apart to check for the dreaded metal filings. So far no sign but all the stories you hear makes you anxious when travelling outback in isolated areas.
Regards
The Major
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:48

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:48
Fuel (Diesel and unleaded??type) is available at Ilkurlka which is approx 180k's West of the border. It is in the Anne Beadell and limites supplies are available. Service was friendly and prices reasonable considering the travelling involved to deliver it.
AnswerID: 162995

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:34

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:34
Hi Des,

They have some big tanks there now. Diesel is on a pump, and I'd expect the Opal Unleaded is by now as well. We passed thru in October.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 417801

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:00

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:00
Major

Read info on this link

Anne Beadell Highway / Serpentine Lakes Road

Richard
AnswerID: 163000

Reply By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:50

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:50
Hi Major,

WE did this trip in July 2005. Our route ran from Laverton to Coober Pedy. The fuel stop is at Ilkurlka, which is as said about 180 kms west of the SA/WA border, or about 850+ Kms west of Coober Pedy. I posted my fuel results under Trek Fuel for the Anne Beadell Hwy. The trip is very rough on the SA side in particular. Watch your loading. We found the best tyre pressures were about 25psi in the front and 35psi in the rear (depends on your load) at a speed of about 42 km/h on the corrugations. There are some sand moguls and they come up unexpectedly so watch out. The 100 kms from the border and west is quite sandy in parts, but it depends on rain, (they don't get much). The roughest section is from the dog fence to Emu Claypan however from there to the border is not much better. Mulga spikes accounted for 5 tyres in our group (9 vehicles) and the odd rock a couple more, including an alloy rim.
Fuel, basic supplies and reliable water is only available at Ilkurlka. There are some rainwater tanks set up by the WA govt and since it has rained they may be okay. Next chance is Laverton.
The people are fantastic, the camping ground is good, has a red carpet and a hot shower after you get the boiler stoked up. If you get to speak with the traditional owners the Spinifex People, they are only too pleased to tell you about their mob and their land. The last wanderers from their mob to make contact with white fellas, did so in 1987. Peter Twigg who runs the roadhouse with his wife can interpret for you. The roadhouse has a range of local art work and their own souvenir baseball cap!
Take at least a week and enjoy the scenery. Some good side trips including the Plane wreck. Good camping also at Yeo Lakes (good well water available), Neale Junction, east side of Serpentine lakes, Vokes Hill Corner, Anne's Corner, 30 kms east of Emu, and Tallaringa Well.
Finally, don't forget the permits, and don't go venturing into the Oak Valley territory, the fine for going into this closed community's backyard is about $2700 and there are no excuses.
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163026

Sponsored Links